Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#251977 - 18/03/2005 12:53 Which is better Microsoft Money or Quicken?
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I have tested the free trial of Microsoft Money and it seems ok, but was wondering if Quicken is any better.....

#251978 - 18/03/2005 14:14 Re: Which is better Microsoft Money or Quicken? [Re: burdell1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
When i was researching them, I noticed that Microsoft claims Money requires you to have a Microsoft Passport, so I dismissed it from that point and just went to Quicken. Of course, I haven't actually done Quicken or anything else yet. I just thought I'd point out that Passport thing in case it irritates you as much as it does me.

#251979 - 18/03/2005 14:20 Re: Which is better Microsoft Money or Quicken? [Re: burdell1]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I haven't played with Money, but I've been using Quicken since the mid 90's. So far as I know, both support very similar features sets (of course, there's no "Money" on the Mac). The big difference is where you don't see it -- importing data from your bank, your credit card, etc. Both tools support OFX (open financial exchange), but Intuit will only download OFX from a whitelist of vendors who pay Intuit for the privilege and pass the cost onto the consumer. With Chase Bank, at least, it's costing me $6/month, although Fidelity gives me downloads for free. I'd be curious to know whether Chase charges less for downloads to Microsoft Money, which I understand doesn't do this sort of extortion with the banks.

Also, apparently, Intuit has been dorking with their file formats. If you hunt around on the web, you'll find that nobody imports data from Quicken 2005 yet, although I expect that Microsoft will catch up in that arena. In short, Intuit is doing everything they can to behave poorly and squeeze money out of everybody.

Ignoring those cost issues, the only real complaints I've got with Quicken are:

- not very helpful tax estimates for doing quarterly returns (and, Quicken 2005 helps you even less if try to use it in FY2006; you loose the unhelpful "wizards" and only get the "reports")

- poor handling of options trading (if you mess with puts or calls, then you're going to want something better to track them for you)

- no easy way to tie reimbursements to expenses being reimbursed (I'd really like to say "these five expenses were for the same trip... and this check is meant to reimburse that trip... and any under-reimbursement becomes a tax-deductable expense", but I pretty much have to do it all by hand)

At this point, I've been upgrading my Quicken every other year. The year-to-year changes are almost indistinguishable. I'd give Money some serious thought, but what I really should be doing is looking at something like Gnucash.

#251980 - 18/03/2005 15:32 Re: Which is better Microsoft Money or Quicken? [Re: burdell1]
Armin
journeyman

Loc: New England
Did anyone here try Moneydance?

#251981 - 18/03/2005 21:59 Re: Which is better Microsoft Money or Quicken? [Re: burdell1]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I used Quicken for a while, but my financial needs are few and it eventually was much more that what I needed. I recently received Money 2005 for free with my tax software and have been pretty pleased so far. I was pleased to know that Microsoft supplies a free version of Money for Pocket PC. This keeps my PDA synced with my Money software, creating a "mobile checkbook registry," if you will.

#251982 - 19/03/2005 05:19 Re: Which is better Microsoft Money or Quicken? [Re: burdell1]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I used Quicken 2000 but switched to Money 2002 deluxe when I bought an iPaq. Money 2002 was so much better than any version of Quicken I have tried. After a while Pocket PC Money got boring to me. Since my PDA had all my checking and credit card transactions (all accounts) I wanted a way to run a report on the PDA. After searching for a while I found Cash Organizer Deluxe. This is a very nice Pocket PC program and it syncs with Money very well. I just bought Money 2005 about 3 weeks ago and I like it. I haven't decided if I like the online features (Passport stuff) yet. Mostly since none of my accounts are listed in Money I can't use some of the auto-mated features. I have downloaded transactions for my checking and credit cards and the importing works great. Since I enter each transaction into my PDA as I pay for it, I have to match the transactions from the import to the ones I entered. This is very easy as the import tool matches about 99% of them. I just don't like that once I accept the match it changes the date to match the date it cleared the bank. I prefer to know the exact date I ordered something. Just today during lunch a friend made a comment about my Tires and said those are nice where / when do you get them. I pulled out my PDA and searched for the place I bought them form and under a minute I was able to let him when and how much I paid.

Edited by Attack (19/03/2005 05:20)

#251983 - 19/03/2005 23:15 Re: Which is better Microsoft Money or Quicken? [Re: burdell1]
Jerz
addict

Loc: Jesusland
I've used quicken for many years then money for a few years and now I'm back with quicken...so I'll say quicken.