Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#252217 - 22/03/2005 01:09 Spam Police
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Somewhere in the back of my mind I got the impression that there is some organization that deals with egregious senders of spam.

Am I just engaging in wishful thinking, or perhaps hallucinating?

The spammer I am trying to deal with is not by any means egregious, in fact they are a completely legitimate concern, one to which my wife subscribed to several years ago.

She passed away two years ago, and I wish to make them stop sending their damn newsletters and special offers about twice a month. They have a "Click here to unsubscribe" link, which I have availed myself of at least six times.

The last time I followed that up with a semi-nasty letter, telling them that if I received one more mailing from them, I would take action against them.

They have sent me one more mailing.

What action can I take? I don't necessarily wish them harm, but I want them to think that I do, and that I have the means to do so.

Is there any hope?

tanstaafl.

#252218 - 22/03/2005 04:52 Re: Spam Police [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dviant
new poster

Have you tried more "real" ways of contacting the organization? With enough digging you might turn up a contact number or address.

Depending on your email provider you could just block them outright, but I dont think thats a solution that you are going for in this situation.

#252219 - 22/03/2005 05:44 Re: Spam Police [Re: tanstaafl.]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Yeah you could try doing a whois on the domain if its a legitamite domain and not some spoofed address might get an address phone number there, or look in the message headers for the originating ip address and contact the isp that owns it. file your complint with them.
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#252220 - 22/03/2005 12:19 Re: Spam Police [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, if they are sending their spams from a legitimate ISP, then what you do is:

- Find out who that ISP is by viewing the detailed mail headers.

- Send an email to [email protected] and tell them what's going on.