Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#252660 - 21/04/2005 14:21 Re: Almost time for a new phone [Re: robricc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
That's not bad at all. Sprint is $15 a month, but that's slower. I would go for Cingular but the reception in my area isn't very good. Family and friends have Verizon, so I'm wasting so many minutes a month just because I'm not on the same network.

#252661 - 21/04/2005 14:29 Re: Almost time for a new phone [Re: robricc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Cingular and MediaNET / data service... I decided a couple months ago that I wanted a Treo 650. My choices were therefore Cingular whom, by way of AT&T I had been a customer for 2+ years with, or Sprint. So I rolled into my Cingular store and asked what they could do for me. I had heard MediaNET was $20/mo, which seemed reasonable. Turns out, as you alluded to, they charge extra for "devices which are primarily data devices" or somesuch, and if I wanted unlimited data on a Treo, it was $80/mo. Yes, $80. Sprint, on the other hand, for what is now the same speed of service (but will soon be a bit slower due to Cingular upgrades, allegedly) offers unlimitee data for $15/mo, or $10 if you're skillful with the CS reps. Cingular lost me as a customer faster than you can say "raising the bar." Couldn't be happier with the Sprint voice or data service, either.

#252662 - 21/04/2005 15:00 Re: Almost time for a new phone [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ooo. Happy to hear that. I assumed that it was already slower, but I do remember getting pretty good bandwidth when I tried using my phone as a PDA modem.

Mind if I asked how you managed the $10/month? I've always been quite polite to my reps

#252663 - 21/04/2005 15:22 Re: Almost time for a new phone [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I haven't managed it yet as I'm on the $0/month plan (free trial for 2 months.) But from what I read on the Treo Central foruns, people have had success getting one of the PCS Vision plans for $10/mol I think it's the one that includes a $5 credit towards games/ringtones/etc. and you just say you don't download that stuff, so you'd rather have it as a $5 credit towards the service itself. Something like that. They may change their tune, but I know many folks have gotten the $10/month plan, and I plan on being one of them when my 2 month trial is up.

#252664 - 21/04/2005 15:56 Re: Almost time for a new phone [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Check this thread on TreoCentral for more info on the magic words to use when asking for the $10/mo plan, especially the last post which apparently has the actual plan name the reps will use or something. And let me know how it works out for you, apparently mileage varies.

#252665 - 21/04/2005 16:01 Re: Almost time for a new phone [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, I'm already on the plan, so I'm not sure how well I can do with it. I'll read it over, though. I'd love to shave $5 off the bill. That would probably cover the taxes

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2