Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#252693 - 26/03/2005 02:40 Lame EAC questions
belezeebub
addict

I have EAC and Lame Installed now and the docs are not ready so what is the best settings for quality

Under compresson options I have
Output mode Stereo
Quality is High Quality (is voice better)
320 kBig/s
Use VBR Quality is 0 (high quality)
Write Xing VBR header is checked.

Havn't made the jump to FLacc yet but I will install the new empeg version and check it out.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#252694 - 26/03/2005 03:33 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: belezeebub]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
If you click the link in my signature, you'll be taken to a little tutorial I did for EAC.

Generally, people now use the presets built into LAME to get all the best settings. Doing a preset bypasses all the "switches". I use "--alt-preset standard" but there is also "--alt-preset extreme" and "--alt-preset insane". Each is better than the previous and uses more disk space. (Also known as APS, APX and API).

These presets represent very complex settings that people much smarter than me are constantly tweaking. I also recommend using the build of LAME in my tutorial. It was actually done by the guy that created LAME instead of the more common versions that were done after he left the LAME developer group.

#252695 - 26/03/2005 06:56 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
While your steps tell you to download the ASPI DLL they don't tell you to select it in the UI (and loading the profile doesn't seem to do it either).

#252696 - 26/03/2005 19:43 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: andy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Andy, thanks for catching that! I'll update it later today. I'm open to any tips like that.

#252697 - 27/03/2005 00:03 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: andy]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Thanks again. I added three new screen shots to the instructions and added the step for installing the ASPI layer. Drive features are better explained as well.

#252698 - 27/03/2005 12:47 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dviant
new poster

SE_Sport_Driver (or anyone who knows):

What exactly does the Nero ASPI DLL do for EAC?

And thanks for the great guide, btw.

#252699 - 27/03/2005 13:03 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: Dviant]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

My understanding is that it allows for precise control over the CD drive. Windows 98 and 95 have it built in, but with the NT based OS like 2000 or XP, Microsoft didn't want to keep paying for it. I think it is only needed in "secure" mode for EAC, and as far as I know, EAC is the only program that rips in a "secure mode" type setting. Ripping in Secure without the ASPI layer will create all sorts of problems from sync errors to poor sounding mp3s. Worse yet, poor sounding mp3s are created with no error reported. So you'll be listening to your tunes before you notice it. I had ripped nearly 400 CDs in a marathon session before realizing I had to rerip them all.

I'm sure someone else can explain the "how" of ASPI much better.

What makes EAC special is the secure mode rips. Each part of the CD is examined at least twice and the results are compared before error correction kicks in. Other programs are faster (and EAC can be faster in "burst" mode) but you don't get the quality control.

#252700 - 27/03/2005 13:21 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dviant
new poster

Salright, Im computer literate. Ive been using EAC for a few years, but never knew all the ins and outs. I am glad the DLL will rid my new machine of the sync errors I was getting. I didnt understand where those came from. Very irritating.

What is strange to me is that my old system was Win2k based, I only recently upgraded to XP. I didn't get the sync errors on the Win2k system, but Im going to investigate my older rips for issues. Never noticed any quality differences though.

Maybe it liked my old drive?!?!

Thanks again though!

#252701 - 27/03/2005 13:37 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: Dviant]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Very possibly. Not all sync errors are caused by the ASPI thing. They can also becaused by a damaged CD or by a drive that doesn't deal with them too well. It's a known fact that some drives work better in secure mode than others. Everyone is ga-ga over the Plextor drives, and I made do with a nice and cheap Lite-on drive.

I know exactly what you're talking about though - my old notebook could handle everything I tossed at it (slowly) whereas my newer, fancier Sony VAIO had issues.

Maybe do a Google on your drive model and "Exact Audio Copy" to see if certain settings are recommended? Also check for newer firmware for your drives. My Lite-on drive had trouble reading certain disks when I got it but a firmware update took care of that (and make everything faster).

#252702 - 28/03/2005 13:15 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dviant
new poster

Quote:
Very possibly. Not all sync errors are caused by the ASPI thing.
I'm finding that out. With the ASPI enabled I am definitely having less sync issues, but a few pop up from time to time. Using a NEC 3500A now. Have half a mind to get my Pioneer 105 out of the old machine and use it for ripping. Never had issues with that drive. Im checking for new firmware for the NEC first, though.

Quote:
Everyone is ga-ga over the Plextor drives, and I made do with a nice and cheap Lite-on drive.
Lately on the hardware forums I notice that enthusiasm for Plextor drives is dying off. They set up a new manufacturing plant a few years ago and Plextor's quality has apparently suffered due to cheap parts. More people are reporting issues with their drives. But thats basically hearsay, Ive not owned one myself.

Im starting to thinking about looking for a dedicated ripping drive that handles EAC's secure mode well, and is good at handling imperfect discs. Not finding many reviews that test that specifically. Just started looking though. That could be a hardware review site dedicated to ripping alone with all the different drives around.

#252703 - 28/03/2005 13:51 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: Dviant]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:

Im starting to thinking about looking for a dedicated ripping drive that handles EAC's secure mode well, and is good at handling imperfect discs. Not finding many reviews that test that specifically. Just started looking though. That could be a hardware review site dedicated to ripping alone with all the different drives around.

The Lite-On CDRW drives have a hacked firmware that disables the audio caching features and makes it work with Secure Mode in EAC.

#252704 - 28/03/2005 16:20 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: Dviant]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Might want to start digging here.

#252705 - 05/04/2005 09:20 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Ripping in Secure without the ASPI layer will create all sorts of problems from sync errors to poor sounding mp3s.

Have you got a source for more technical details about this? I've got to say it sounds a bit cargo-cultish to me; NT-based operating systems don't come with ASPI because they support DeviceIoControl on SCSI (and ATA) devices. I didn't think the capabilities provided by ASPI and DeviceIoControl were at all different.

Peter

#252706 - 05/04/2005 10:50 Re: Lame EAC questions [Re: peter]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Peter, I'll hunt around for you and see what I can find. I know first hand that I had a lot of currupted rips that resulted in no error warnings. It wasn't until I was listening to the mp3s that I'd hear the occational glitch. Installing ASPI fixed it. I never had the problem on non-NT based systems because they come with ASPI.

Maybe it's an EAC specific thing? EAC was writen only to work with ASPI? I'm not aware of any other programs that use a "secure mode" and that may also be specific to EAC.