Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#25313 - 20/01/2001 23:17 Wireless operations?
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I am considering what it will take to have wireless commmunications when I install my car player.

The Apple airport is one option. Proxim's Symphony product line is another. (I have some of their stuff already. They have a neat coardless modem). There are others.

One of the dilemmas is that there are adaptors marked alternatly bridges or gateways. Gateways cost about 2x more than bridges. For the need at hand. (making the car player wireless) It seems, a bridge is all that's needed.

How much difference is there, functionally, between a bridge and a PC-card? Is it just the connection to the computer?

My (mis?) impression is that a bridge doesn't need to be configured. It acts as a transcevier only, passing the car players traffic directly to RF. While a gateway has its own IP address and can connect. This should make the overall setup easier.

Is there any reason why I should pay the 2x price and buy a gateway instead of the bridge?

-- Glenn

#25314 - 16/03/2001 23:43 Re: Wireless operations? [Re: gbeer]
WilLyons
new poster

From what I've read elsewhere on the topic... The configuration that is used by others with the Apple Airport is the out of the box one, bridging mode.

HTH (Hope This Helps)

~Wil

#25315 - 17/03/2001 14:19 Re: Wireless operations? [Re: WilLyons]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
There is one limitation here. The Apple Airport can not talk to another base station (only the client cards) so when your car drives away so does your network. If you only plan on having your empeg and one other wireless device this should not be a problem.

-Mike

#25316 - 19/03/2001 08:59 Re: Wireless operations? [Re: mcomb]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
have a search around this BBS on ORINOCO products, this is what I use and I am happy with the solution.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341