Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#256095 - 13/05/2005 00:20 Your help is appreciated
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'll title this one with how most of my posts here end I do appreciate the help you guys give me, and I appologize for bugging you all the time. This time, however, it's mostly for someone else.

My family has been going through a tough time recently due to health issues with my father. It's been scary, but we think we've gotten to a stable point, and are trying our best to look on the bright side of everything. Consequently, my father is interested in getting a new computer, and I'm encouraging him.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not as familiar with current hardware as I was when I was building my machine, and there are so many options out there it's hard to wade through it all. Therefore, more than ever, I'd appreciate guidance in our purchasing.

A little background is required. My dad is the reason I am a gadget freak. We had each level of PC right when it came out. When I was little, I remember him carrying his "portable" Compaq to the airport to go to conventions, where everyone would ooo and ahh at the tiny amber screen on this gigantic box. He had a car phone when they still needed giant power bricks. He didn't buy recklessly, he would just upgrade when he needed to (maybe a little before), and get whatever was the best at that time.

Despite the fact that the primary use of this computer will be approximately 2 hours of Freecell every night, my dad will not settle for anything less than the best out there. The most processor intensive activity that this computer is likely to do will be either opening Quicken or playing a streaming video file, probably via ESPN.com. Still, we're looking for a PC that will open MS Office programs faster than any other. Understand that his current machine is a five year old Dell that originally came with WinME. It's a 1GHz but it's flaky and the hard disk sounds like it's ready to go (we have the Quicken stuff backed up regularly).

What we're looking for:
- mid-tower case that's reasonably attractive and about as quiet as a Dell. replacement fans are acceptable
- the latest technology, perhaps keeping a tad shy of the very top. so basically, if there's an $800 CPU, and the next one down is $500, then $350 and so on, we'll go with the $500.
- I would prefer to go AMD, preferably 64 bit since my dad is interested in the latest tech (thus my interest in my other thread. sorry for not clarifying)
- we're already pretty settled on the larger of the raptor drives, and we want RAM that will be as fast as possible

Those are the basic requirements. He's going to go all the way with the largest wide-aspect Dell monitor (my discount is great), and he's willing to spend a good amount of cash on the system in general. He considered $2500 to be a reasonable amount (including $800 for the monitor).

I can't tell you how much it would mean to me if I could get some help on this matter. I have a system spec'd out, but I have this gut feeling that I'm not "getting" the technology of the parts I'm looking at, or if they're even the right parts to get (I only understand about 60% of the latest stuff). What should I think about most when building a machine optimized for desktop publishing?

Again, thanks for your time.

#256096 - 13/05/2005 01:24 Re: Your help is appreciated [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
This is what I would buy today if I was going to spend about 2500.00 on a PC. I would get this power supply. I picked the video card because it is fanless
but still very high end and my friend has three of those LCD monitors it is great unless you want to play FPS games on it.

Oh and I'm willing to talk to you on the phone about this tomorrow night if you want. I don't mind calling you if you don't want to spend the money on long distance. (It's free for me)

Edited by Attack (13/05/2005 01:28)

#256097 - 13/05/2005 13:00 Re: Your help is appreciated [Re: Attack]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thank you for your response. Those selections look good, and I'm glad to see that I'm on the right track (or at least thinking along the same lines as others).

The one thing I'd have a question about is your video card choice. It's AGP, and your motherboard choice doesn't have AGP.

*edit*
Also, what is the card on the bottom right of this pic? I was wondering what the slot above the CPU socket was, and near as I can figure it belongs to that, but I don't know what it is

Edited by Dignan17 (13/05/2005 13:30)

#256098 - 13/05/2005 15:15 Re: Your help is appreciated [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

Doh, I clicked on the wrong one. I've updated the wishlist with two different video cards. I'd get the 6800GT myself but if you're not going to play games get the 6600. That card is a Voltage Regulator Module and is for the Dual Power System

#256099 - 13/05/2005 15:35 Re: Your help is appreciated [Re: Attack]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the assistance. Out of curiousity, how does the 6600 hold up against, say, an X800. I'm an ATI fan myself, and have found a few good options. But that 6600, at that price, with that much memory, seems like a really good price.

#256100 - 13/05/2005 16:09 Re: Your help is appreciated [Re: Dignan]
Attack
addict

I can't find the really good video card guide right now but think the X800 is the same speed as an 6800GT the 6600 is at most 20% slower.

#256101 - 07/07/2005 18:14 Re: Your help is appreciated [Re: Attack]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
I can't find the really good video card guide right now but think the X800 is the same speed as an 6800GT the 6600 is at most 20% slower.

Damn, I want a BFG 6800 GT but they are PRICEY! Anyone know where to get one cheaper than Newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis....x=0&Go.y=0

I'm thinking that the dual dvi would be good to have, but not sure I'd ever use it...

- Jon

#256102 - 07/07/2005 18:37 Re: Your help is appreciated [Re: jbauer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Pricewatch doesn't show anything much cheaper. $406.70 vs. $413.50 shipped.