Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#259021 - 26/06/2005 22:05 mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again!
ajayrockrock
journeyman

Loc: Riverside, CA
sorry about that subject, I tried to get all the "keywords" in there...

I've been using mp3tofid/rsync sucessfull for a while and recently I just upgraded my workstation with a 400GB drive. So I copied over my MP3's to this new drive and then made the correct links so that my old /mp3 mount was pointing to /mnt/fatdrive/mp3.

Now when I run mp3tofid, it's scanning all the songs again as if they are "new" to the database but in reality they are the same tracks. I crtl-c'ed out of it and I don't want to rsync agsint it because I don't want to have to upload all 100MB's of MP3's again. Especially since NOTHING has changed on the player.

If I let mp3tofid complete and sync up will it delete all the mp3's on the player now and upload them all again? Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Ajay

#259022 - 26/06/2005 22:21 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: ajayrockrock]
tman
carpal tunnel

It works it out based on the inode I believe which means it thinks everything is new since you copied the files.

#259023 - 26/06/2005 23:02 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: tman]
ajayrockrock
journeyman

Loc: Riverside, CA
damn, I was afraid of that. Do you know if there's any way to avoid this in the future when I upgrade drives?

Thanks,
Ajay

#259024 - 26/06/2005 23:45 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: ajayrockrock]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
mp3tofid version 3 uses the major and minor number of the filesystem, and the inode number as a key in the fid number allocation database. So the only way to prevent this from happening is to copy the filesystem rather than the individual files to another disk. AND you need to make sure the copied filesystem will get the same major and minor number.

To get around these limitations, mp3tofid version 4 only uses the major and minor number if the it is different from the mp3 root, otherwise just the inode number. But what really would help you is its ability to rebuild the database from your current collection of tunes and fids, whatever their major/minor/inode numbers are. If the path itself does not change, no rescanning will be necessary, and rsync will not re-upload your tunes.

Looks I really need to release version 4 ... It has been stable for me for quite a while, but I just never got around writing new documentation, and doing a cygwin port (anyone using that?). I also never was under the impression that much people were using mp3tofid at all, until lately.

Apart from a fix for your problem, version 4 will offer
- player v3 support
- support for wav/wma/ogg/flac tunes
- in- and excluding tunes using regular expressions
- marking tunes as "stereo bleed"
- marking directories as "ignore as child"
- lots of bug fixes
- lots of options to control its behaviour

Pim

#259025 - 27/06/2005 00:15 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: pim]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
I also never was under the impression that much people were using mp3tofid at all, until lately.

I haven't started using it yet but it's my intention to migrate this week. That's cool that you're thinking about picking it up again. Marking directories as "ignore as child" is a great idea, I would have probably missed being able to exclude some of my tracks from the "down-down-down" shuffle.

Keep us posted!

#259026 - 27/06/2005 00:55 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: pim]
Mataglap
enthusiast

Quote:
- player v3 support
- support for wav/wma/ogg/flac tunes

I'd use it on cygwin for those two features!

--Nathan

#259027 - 28/06/2005 11:00 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: pim]
ryukin
new poster

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Hi Pim,
Quote:

Looks I really need to release version 4 ... It has been stable for me for quite a while, but I just never got around writing new documentation, and doing a cygwin port (anyone using that?). I also never was under the impression that much people were using mp3tofid at all, until lately.

I used the cygwin version of mp3tofid until I moved all my music to a Linux box. I mainly use mp3 but as I have 15GB or so of WMA fiiles too I'd be very grateful for WMA support.

Thanks for a very useful program - I don't need the fancy stuff that emplode and jemplode offer, just a quick and simple way to dump music to my empeg, and for that I find mp3tofid is just the job.

Cheers
Phil

#259028 - 17/11/2005 12:19 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: pim]
russell
journeyman

Pim,
Have you made any progress with version 4 i would really like to give it a try, I'm currently using version 3 under linux, but it's getting a bit of a pain rebuilding the database on the player as i'm using V3a11.
Regards
Russell

#259029 - 17/01/2007 09:16 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: pim]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hmm... Seems mp3tofid crashes on my gentoo box, and interestingly both versions 3 and 4 crash in teh same way, after having scanned the mp3 files, with "Program received signal SIGFPE, Arithmetic exception".

#259030 - 17/01/2007 18:57 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: russell]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

EDIT: Ugh, replied to a 2 year old post. Sorry.

I don't know if mp3tofid v4 is "officially" released, but Pim has had it available on his website for quite some time:

http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/empeg/mp3tofid/

I have been using it for several months, and it works wonderfully. I have it running as a cron job every few hours, and I have my empeg setup in my car to rsync via a wireless bridge in the trunk. So, any CDs I rip or podcasts I download are synced to my empeg automatically. Can't beat that.

#259031 - 18/01/2007 04:20 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: tonyc]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Any trouble with the battery getting drained? How are you handling the power issues?

#259032 - 18/01/2007 06:28 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: tonyc]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Yep, that's where I downloaded it from, and that's the one that keeps crashing (consistently) on my gentoo box. Some preliminary debugging indicates a bad pointer.

#259033 - 18/01/2007 14:05 Re: mp3tofid rsync scanning all mp3's again! [Re: JBjorgen]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Any trouble with the battery getting drained? How are you handling the power issues?

No troubles so far, but I'm probably not handling the power issues in the best way possible.

Basically, the router's powered from the amp line, so whenever the empeg's powering the amp, the router is on. I have a small C program that monitors the accessory power on the empeg. When it goes low, it runs a shell script that figures out if I'm on my home network or not, and if so, runs rsync. After the rsync script is done, the C program makes a kernel call which tells the empeg to wake up in about an hour, then powers everything (empeg, amp, router) down. Process repeats indefinitely, so in theory if I don't drive my car for a few weeks, all the hourly wakeups could cause some battery drain. But, I don't think enough power is drawn to make that a serious issue.

Anyway, it pretty much works. There are ways it could be improved to optimize power usage (the biggest one would be powering the amp and router separately so that the router can be on even when the amp is off, but still controlled by the empeg.) But all in all, I'm happy with it.