Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#263418 - 25/08/2005 09:51 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
Ladmo
addict

Loc: Oklahoma
Quote:
To be honest, I think that this woman wields more power than I do within the courts and with the cops. She most probably will figure out how to skate, and then all I've done is created a real enemy and made our co-existence much more difficult.

Find out who, within her (legal) world (another lawyer) are her enemies...you know her fellow lawyers whom she has screwed out of a promotion, pulled some crappy manauvor in court or just pissed them off...This is easily done! And any lawyer with a year or more past the bar has these, without a doubt. Then go talk to THAT person. I am sure the RIGHT thing can be done, at little or no expenense to you or your friend, and you can make protection from repercussion part of the deal....What is the saying...'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'....sometimes....Just my 2 cents worth and no, you can't have change!

#263419 - 25/08/2005 13:53 Re: Car keying story... [Re: Ladmo]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
Quote:
and then all I've done is created a real enemy and made our co-existence much more difficult.

so you really think YOUR actions are to blame for any co-existing problems?

I agree, it may not be worth it. but I don't agree that she should walk because you're a clear minded person. do you think Hertz will be as kind to your friend, ya think they'll brush it off as a mis-understanding?

#263420 - 25/08/2005 15:00 Re: Car keying story... [Re: lastdan]
dms
new poster

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Hi All,

So I'm the one in Jon's story that had the rental 'keyed'. I'll keep it simple - I'll be calling Hertz today and see how they want to proceed.

My view - NEVER key anyone's car, no matter what they do. If you really feel the need to 'get them' then let their tyres down or put stickers all over their car windows...but no permenent damage.

I'll keep you all informed......

Cheers,
David

#263421 - 25/08/2005 16:08 Re: Car keying story... [Re: dms]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Good for you. She deserves the liability, the fine and the public embarassment. She won't be disbarred & she can afford the fines and the lesson.

-Zeke

#263422 - 25/08/2005 16:09 Re: Car keying story... [Re: Ezekiel]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Good for you. She deserves the liability, the fine and the public embarassment. She won't be disbarred & she can afford the fines and the lesson.

-Zeke

Well, it wouldn't really be "public"...

- Jon

#263423 - 25/08/2005 22:46 Re: Car keying story... [Re: BartDG]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
stuff like this enrages me

I have to agree. People getting away with malicious nonsense is unacceptable. But, you have to pick your battles.

Quote:
She's a bit of a bulldog.

The last person I'd want to drag through the mud over a car keying incident is a lawyer; worse, a lawyer who lives next door. Then again, I wouldn't want to take on a cop or a doctor or a construction worker... or anyone with more money to fight me in court or more muscle and malice to lash back at me.

The real problem is: people with power can do whatever they want. Retaliation would be too easy for someone like her. Of course, there is a way to get revenge without fear of retaliation. Rent "The Godfather" and "Goodfellas" for the answer.

Or perhaps retaliation against her mind would do. Every time you see her, you could say a little something to remind her of her terrible judgment. "Hey, I heard you keyed a baby who was crying at the grocery store. Good move." "You know, the nearby train won't be so loud if you key it. But to be close enough, you'll have to stand on the tracks."

For a woman who's clearly intelligent enough to earn prestige in the legal community, keying a door to stop a car alarm is a pretty pathetic move.

#263424 - 26/08/2005 06:25 Re: Car keying story... [Re: FireFox31]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
or anyone with more money to fight me in court or more muscle and malice to lash back at me.

The problem is, neither of those things is necessary. Her position seems to be enough that she's being held to a different set of standards that the rest of us.

If it had been a teenager living in the building, the police would already have been called. Why the question of calling the police or not is even being discussed is downright pathetic, as is the discussion itself. This person has broken the law and destroyed private property, and the act was caught on video. Not something muscle and malice can do anything to undo. When a law is broken you report it, period.

It doesn't matter who broke the law, or how much power they have.

Now I understand why in America people like the CEO of Enron get off. People take the easy way out and just let them get away with it.

I would have expected better.

#263425 - 26/08/2005 09:11 Re: Car keying story... [Re: webroach]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
If it had been a teenager living in the building, the police would already have been called.
No- more likely his or her parents would have been called.

#263426 - 26/08/2005 10:33 Re: Car keying story... [Re: FireFox31]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
FireFox31
Quote:
worse, a lawyer who lives next door

Since dms is initiating the action, jbauer is off the hook. He's just the one who looked up the video. What friend wouldn't do that?

jbauer
Quote:
Well, it wouldn't really be "public"...

If Hertz decides to press charges it would be. My guess is that they'd contact her, and demand the money for the repair before pressing charges.

I had a friend who in a momentary fit of rage keyed a car (he had been parked in rather badly). He was seen by a meter maid (sorry: Parking Enforcement Officer) and was arrested. In the state this happened, the dollar value of the damages made the charge a felony. He went before the judge and was fined and had to do community service, but he was convicted of a misdemeanor. He was also an attorney, and so was worried about his job future (he had just graduated). Keying the car was remarkably out of character for him (he's a really low-key kind of guy).

I don't think jbauer's going to be the object of her wrath even if Hertz does press charges. She'll know she's the one to blame, especially since she most likely knew about the cameras!

-Zeke

#263427 - 26/08/2005 23:29 Re: Car keying story... [Re: webroach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
It doesn't matter who broke the law, or how much power they have.

But wouldn't you be afraid of retaliation for turning someone in (or helping to do so)? Someone irrational enough to do bad seems capable of doing more bad if they are busted like this.

This keying is a clear and serious case, but some others are not. Some people feel compelled to tattle on every little hint of infraction of the law that they even think is going on. I've heard too many stories of insane neighbors causing hell for people I know over the most inane, yet technically infringing things. How utterly unnerving those people are.

But at the other end, there's Machiavelli: doing unspeakable acts which simultaneously cause enough fear in on-lookers that they don't dare fight back. The only way to stop those guys is to put them beyond the reach of retaliation... and hope their friends don't come for you.

I think all the 1980's American media shocking me as a kid about gang violence and drug-related incidents made me so paranoid. But, through my life, the paranoia has proven true too many times. Pick your battles, and make sure you can win them, and win them good. </preach>

#263428 - 27/08/2005 06:09 Re: Car keying story... [Re: FireFox31]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
But wouldn't you be afraid of retaliation for turning someone in (or helping to do so)? Someone irrational enough to do bad seems capable of doing more bad if they are busted like this.

No, I wouldn't be afraid of retaliation. I would be vigilant regarding retaliation, but not afraid.

I'm not advocating being a tattle-tale. I'm talking about reporting the malicious destruction of private property. I, a few years ago, had a guy smash up my car (while parked) with his motorcycle, which he hadn't really learned to ride and wasn't licensed for. There was no yelling, no anger, and certainly no cops.... I just asked him if he was able to pay for it, which he was and quickly did. Totally amiable. WHy should I care if he had a motorcycle endorsement on his license? All I care about is that he made a mistake but dealt with it like an adult.

You can't let people act like this woman without repercussions. People have to be responsible for their actions.

#263429 - 27/08/2005 09:37 Re: Car keying story... [Re: webroach]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
You can't let people act like this woman without repercussions. People have to be responsible for their actions.

She told me that she'd be financially responsible for any damages that my friend has... So far, there were none.

- Jon

#263430 - 27/08/2005 17:50 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
webroach
old hand

Quote:
Quote:

She told me that she'd be financially responsible for any damages that my friend has... So far, there were none.

Her financial responsibility does not lie with your friend but with Hertz. If she's willing to go down to Hertz and pay the damages, then I would totally agree that there would no longer be a need for the police. But being responsible for your actions doesn't mean you're responsible only if you're caught.

#263431 - 27/08/2005 20:33 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Lawyers with criminal records don't tend to get much food to eat....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#263432 - 27/08/2005 21:09 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It's most likely too late now. The time to get the authorities involved was right away. I'd bet the first question that will now be asked is "Why did you wait so long to report this?".

Unless you have a convincing, why not story, I doubt they will have much interest.

#263433 - 28/08/2005 03:19 Re: Car keying story... [Re: webroach]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Her financial responsibility does not lie with your friend but with Hertz. If she's willing to go down to Hertz and pay the damages, then I would totally agree that there would no longer be a need for the police. But being responsible for your actions doesn't mean you're responsible only if you're caught.

I agree with you 100%. I'm going to talk to dms and see if he contacted Hertz or not... If not, perhaps he should suggest that she take the initiative on that...

Thanks for pointing this out.

Edit: Hm. I worry that Hertz will still persue it with dms as that's who had the contract...

- Jon

Edited by jbauer (28/08/2005 03:20)

#263434 - 28/08/2005 10:48 Re: Car keying story... [Re: jbauer]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Won't Hertz still take any excess from him no matter who accepts blame?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2