Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266088 - 27/09/2005 01:51 Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab...
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Long shot, but I'm looking for a socket A (socket 462) motherboard with an AGP slot for my MAME cabinet. A friend gave me an Athlon XP 2500+ processor that he didn't need, and I'm trying to rebuild my MAME cabinet with a budget of almost nothing, scrounging from here and there. If anyone has one laying around they'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price in order to restore the arcady goodness to my life, i'd appreciate it!

Suggestions on good cheap motherboards also appreciated since I have gone to the darkside of Macs and haven't followed PC land in years...

#266089 - 27/09/2005 02:01 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: loren]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
You can get an Abit VA-20 for about 50 dollars. It has AGP and three pci slots. If 50 is too much you can get off brand boards for less. (there is an MSI on on pricewatch for 25 dollars)

Matt

#266090 - 27/09/2005 02:17 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: loren]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I don't have a mobo for you, but if you need arcade controls, I have several pieces I purchased back when I had enough space and thought I'd build a MAME cabinet. It never happened, and now I'm in a place where I can't fit the cabinet.

The parts I have are a Happ 8-way joystick, six (maybe eight, I forget) Happ buttons, an Oscar spinner, and a very nice 3" trackball (I forget the manufacturer but you'll probably recognize it if you built a cab before.) I also have four Microsoft Sidewinder joysticks I was going to use to interface the controls.

If you need any of the above, PM me and I'll send some pictures. None of the items have been used, except one of the Sidewinders was taken apart for testing out the controls.

#266091 - 27/09/2005 02:29 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: msaeger]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You can get an Abit VA-20 for about 50 dollars. It has AGP and three pci slots. If 50 is too much you can get off brand boards for less. (there is an MSI on on pricewatch for 25 dollars)

$20 is about my budget since i'll have to buy RAM for it too and am pretty broke =]. I just don't know what good brands are these days. I found and ECS brand board for $20 on outpost.com... anyone heard of it? I'm sure it's crap... Just don't know how much it matters.

#266092 - 27/09/2005 02:31 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: tonyc]
loren
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The parts I have are a Happ 8-way joystick, six (maybe eight, I forget) Happ buttons, an Oscar spinner, and a very nice 3" trackball (I forget the manufacturer but you'll probably recognize it if you built a cab before.) I also have four Microsoft Sidewinder joysticks I was going to use to interface the controls.

Nice. I wish I could afford to take the spinner and trackball off your hands! I've got the cabinet and controls, just need a new PC for it since I had to steal the one I had in there a year ago to use as my animation computer.

#266093 - 27/09/2005 02:52 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: loren]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
For this application and the price range I don't think brand really matters.

Matt

#266094 - 27/09/2005 10:58 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: loren]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hmmm... Spinner... Buttons... Interesting... Especially given I have the remains of an old Tempest control panel that I harvested some of this stuff from a while ago, and I know that I have a real Tempest spinner and some random leaf switch buttons in my desk at home, gathering dust...

The buttons should be useable directly, but you would likely need to interface the spinner somehow.

PM me if you are interested.

#266095 - 27/09/2005 10:59 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: loren]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have a Chaintech board here. I don't know why it's just sitting around, so it could be not working or something. But, if you PM me your address it's yours.

Just based on what I can see, it seems to be this board. There is no obvious model number printed on the board.

#266096 - 27/09/2005 16:15 Re: Need socket A motherboard for my MAME cab... [Re: robricc]
loren
carpal tunnel

Whoa, sweet. PMing you!