Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270858 - 29/11/2005 00:41 Question Thread #2
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
If you missed the first thread, I basically don't want to overload the forum with threads asking for help, so I'm creating one thread with a bunch of questions that probably have very short answers, but have bugged me for a while without an answer. Of course, #8 is more rhetorical, as well as something I just thought of since I saw the movie. Anyway, here goes:

1) how are hard disk sizes determined? Exactly what is 3.5", 2.5", 1.8", etc? Is it the platters?

2) I have no walls on the left and right of my home theater setup, a concrete slab floor, and I can't run cable through the ceiling. So I'm forced to run the wires for the rear speakers across the floor and under the couch. This leaves $70 in cables to be stepped on or tripped over. I've looked everywhere for one of those rubber cable protectors, but can't find anything. They're available at Staples and Home Depot, but not in lengths/sizes that I need. I need one where the main channel is .5" high and 1.5" wide, and the whole thing is about 10 feet long.

3) What do you think is that absolute easiest way to get music on an iPod without using a computer (if possible at all)? I believe devices like this exist, although unfortunately it doesn't look like this one is available yet. (this is for my mom, the technophobe with an iPod nano).

4) I'm jealous of all the people who have space heaters at their office desks. I think people who like warmth don't realize how hard it is on those of us who like the cold. Is there any such thing as a "space cooler"? (please don't say "a fan." That just moves warm air around)

5) Has anyone here taken the GMATs? I was wondering how difficult it was, particularly if your background doesn't lend its self towards the subject matter. They claim that your area of work and education aren't determinant of how well you'll do, but I'm a little nervous about taking it. I'm doing it for a program I'd like to get into (I don't want to be a help desk technician forever...or even a few more years...).

6) Can anyone recommend a good and/or fairly inexpensive single-cup coffe maker? My girlfriend's co-workers tend to like their coffee strong enough to melt mugs, and wants a little control over hers.

7) Why are these not available anywhere? They're on the Netgear website, there's nothing that indicates they haven't been released yet, and I've seen several news articles about them. I've searched for them, and found them listed in stores, but none of them seem to have any in stock.

8) Why can't JK Rowling create rules? I won't go too far into it, but in Goblet of Fire (at least the movie version), the rules for the tournamet make no sense whatsoever. As far as I can tell, the only thing you really need to do to win the tournament and go down in history is to wander around that maze. I get this from the fact that the girl (I don't know her character name) didn't complete the second task, yet still moved on for some reason. That made absolutely no sense to me.

So that's it. Thanks for any help you can give me. The last thread was very successful. In case you were wondering:
1) my friend bought one of those amplifiers. it works well, I think
3) these commands fixed the thumbnail issue:
regsvr32.exe /i SHDOCVW.DLL
regsvr32.exe /i BROWSEUI.DLL
4) I'm still waiting for that Korean cell phone to be released, but since it'll be GSM, I won't get signal on any carrier that would support it.
5) I bought two boxes of Count Chocula from Amazon, and had it in two days. The only local grocery store that carried it was one Safeway that had it for two days starting November 1st. Argh.
6) I use the Google homepage exclusively
7) I bought that SATA controller and it works just fine now. The one on my motherboard has problems. oh well.

#270859 - 29/11/2005 01:22 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Well, here's my two cents worth on the cable protector...

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/ProductsPage.asp?name=Rubber_Cord_Floor_Protector

They have 5', 10', and 50' lengths listed...

Randy

#270860 - 29/11/2005 01:22 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

1) how are hard disk sizes determined? Exactly what is 3.5", 2.5", 1.8", etc? Is it the platters?

Yes. The platter diameters.

Quote:

8) As far as I can tell, the only thing you really need to do to win the tournament and go down in history is to wander around that maze.

Yes. But one's starting position (time) depends on prior results. So by placing high in the earlier events, one gets a head start in the final maze. Read the books!

#270861 - 29/11/2005 01:45 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
4) I'm jealous of all the people who have space heaters at their office desks. I think people who like warmth don't realize how hard it is on those of us who like the cold. Is there any such thing as a "space cooler"? (please don't say "a fan." That just moves warm air around)

Link

Matt

#270862 - 29/11/2005 02:20 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
8) Why can't JK Rowling create rules? I won't go too far into it, but in Goblet of Fire (at least the movie version), the rules for the tournamet make no sense whatsoever. As far as I can tell, the only thing you really need to do to win the tournament and go down in history is to wander around that maze. I get this from the fact that the girl (I don't know her character name) didn't complete the second task, yet still moved on for some reason. That made absolutely no sense to me.
See Mark's post. There is one other place in the movies that do the "rules" injustice- in the first movie the rules for Quidditch say that the game doesn't end until you catch the snitch, and whoever catches the snitch wins. Of course this is very silly because that makes whatever anyone else is doing completly meaningless. The only thing in those rules that matter is the snitch. However, while in the book the game ends when someone catches the snitch, it is only worth 100 points (a lot of points considering a goal is only worth 10). The 100 points means that a large percentage of the time the person who gets the snitch wins, but it is not always the case. In fact, in the World Cup (seen in the Goblet of Fire) the game is won by Ireland even though Viktor Crumb caught the snitch (Bulgaria was being beaten badly so he just decided to end it on his terms).

#270863 - 29/11/2005 03:02 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: msaeger]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Quote:

Link

Warning! I bought that exact model for the downstairs of my house. The first one arrived beat-up directly from Sunpentown's warehouse in CA. They sent an advanced replacement easily enough, but the 2nd one was also roughed-up in shipping enough to make it leak. They must be aware with the packing problems with these, because after that they sent me the next model up from that for no extra cost. It has been working great.

#270864 - 29/11/2005 03:17 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
6) Can anyone recommend a good and/or fairly inexpensive single-cup coffe maker? My girlfriend's co-workers tend to like their coffee strong enough to melt mugs, and wants a little control over hers.

Senseo, which is made by the dutch company Philips, is considered the best there is here in Holland. It came out just a few years ago and already you can find it in most dutch homes. It can make either one or two cups at a time, and it takes just a minute.

#270865 - 29/11/2005 03:18 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: robricc]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
For Dignan's use, he could always just run the exhaust hose over to one of those people who like space heaters at their desks.

#270866 - 29/11/2005 04:05 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: msaeger]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:

Link

Hot air can even be supplied to the more fortunate at the same time!

Edit: Dang! I really should read all the posts first.

Edited by gbeer (29/11/2005 04:07)

#270867 - 29/11/2005 04:31 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
I'll second the vote for a Senseo. Oddly enough I just bought another one yesterday and took it to work this morning to have in my cube. Got it and a box of 104 extra pods (70 came with the machine) for $48.99* at Costco. Not a bad price. I don't remember what I paid for the first one I bought, but I know it was more than that.

*The box of extra pods was $19.99, but there was an instant $19.99 rebate applied when I checked out.
ricin.us

#270868 - 29/11/2005 11:11 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ricin]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
a box of 104 extra pods

Pods are the DRM of coffee. Who in their right mind would tie their coffee consumption for the lifetime of the device, to one manufacturer's whims on pod pricing and pod availability?

Peter

#270869 - 29/11/2005 11:16 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: peter]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

Pods are the DRM of coffee. Who in their right mind would tie their coffee consumption for the lifetime of the device, to one manufacturer's whims on pod pricing and pod availability?

Quite, who wants to bet that one day down the line pods gain RFID tags and the added feature of only being able to use "approved" pods in your coffee machine.

#270870 - 29/11/2005 11:48 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I don't know why Matt but I found your post hilarious, must be the meds

#270871 - 29/11/2005 13:05 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: peter]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Quote:
a box of 104 extra pods

Peter

I was thinking the same thing.. Not only prices, but quality and selection seem they'd be limited.

#270872 - 29/11/2005 13:13 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:

I've been happy with this one. The permanent filter is nice, I just rinse it out every few uses. Those coffee pods remind me too much of inkjet printer cartridges, so I stay away from those.

#270873 - 29/11/2005 13:20 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Phoenix42]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I don't know why Matt but I found your post hilarious, must be the meds

Hehe, thanks...I think...:)

That Senseo looks nice, but like Peter was saying, I don't want her to get tied into using one type of coffee. Is there anything that will take grounds of your choice, so I can get her Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts coffee along with it?

As for the Harry Potter rules, I knew that winning one of the events determines time for the last round, but that doesn't seem to fit the types of events. That girl could have sat on the dock for the second round and come out of it the same. And nobody told the contestants that volunteering would put their loved ones in danger, by the way. That just sucks.

Quote:
in the first movie the rules for Quidditch say that the game doesn't end until you catch the snitch, and whoever catches the snitch wins

Odd, I didn't get the first half of that from the movie, just the second. I'll have to listen to them explain that again. Do the books say how often the snitch is caught? If it's too often, they may need to adjust their scoring Have they reinstated the replay rule yet?

That portable air conditioner looks really good. Unfortunately, I don't know where I'd expell that exhaust tube (aside from the people who were cold).

#270874 - 29/11/2005 13:31 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: The Central Guy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, here's my two cents worth on the cable protector...

http://www.onlineorganizing.com/ProductsPage.asp?name=Rubber_Cord_Floor_Protector

They have 5', 10', and 50' lengths listed...

Randy

Thanks! Those look pretty good. They say they'll fit 7/16" chords, but not how many. I've emailed them to ask. Thanks again.

#270875 - 29/11/2005 13:36 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Isn't it just a teabag with coffee instead of tea? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to make one on your own.

#270876 - 29/11/2005 13:43 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Isn't it just a teabag with coffee instead of tea? Seems like it's be pretty easy to make one on your own.

Apparently, not that easy.

#270877 - 29/11/2005 13:47 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Wow. I retract my statement and now fully agree with Peter.

#270878 - 29/11/2005 13:52 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

How about a 2-cup percolator and tell her to drink more coffee?

#270879 - 29/11/2005 13:54 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: tonyc]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Isn't it just a teabag with coffee instead of tea? Seems like it's be pretty easy to make one on your own.

Apparently, not that easy.

Wow. Screw that. If you have one of those machines then you either chuck it in the bin or you just put up with the expensive pads.

#270880 - 29/11/2005 14:05 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
in the first movie the rules for Quidditch say that the game doesn't end until you catch the snitch, and whoever catches the snitch wins

Odd, I didn't get the first half of that from the movie, just the second.
Actually, now that you mention it I believe you are correct- it is not explicilty stated that the game ends when you catch the snitch. However, the first half is implied by the second half. It'd be pretty lame to keep playing a game you've already lost!

Edit- Wait, I understand the confusion now. You are thinking that the game could end naturally, without someone catching the snitch.

Edited by JeffS (29/11/2005 14:33)

#270881 - 29/11/2005 14:08 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
See Mark's post. There is one other place in the movies that do the "rules" injustice- in the first movie the rules for Quidditch say that the game doesn't end until you catch the snitch, and whoever catches the snitch wins. Of course this is very silly because that makes whatever anyone else is doing completly meaningless. The only thing in those rules that matter is the snitch. However, while in the book the game ends when someone catches the snitch, it is only worth 100 points (a lot of points considering a goal is only worth 10). The 100 points means that a large percentage of the time the person who gets the snitch wins, but it is not always the case. In fact, in the World Cup (seen in the Goblet of Fire) the game is won by Ireland even though Viktor Crumb caught the snitch (Bulgaria was being beaten badly so he just decided to end it on his terms).

I still think the whole idea of Quidditch is a very poorly thought out game. The fact bits were added in later to show that you can't always win is evident of this.

#270882 - 29/11/2005 14:13 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: tman]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I still think the whole idea of Quidditch is a very poorly thought out game.
No argument, really. The point of Quidditch was to give Harry something he could be good at besides just being the "boy who lived", not really create a compelling sport.

Quote:
The fact bits were added in later to show that you can't always win is evident of this.
I don't think this was added later- the first time I heard the rules I clued in to that aspect of the game. I'll bet she had a game like the one in TGOF planned from the very beginning.

#270883 - 29/11/2005 14:20 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Quote:
I
5) Has anyone here taken the GMATs? I was wondering how difficult it was, particularly if your background doesn't lend its self towards the subject matter. They claim that your area of work and education aren't determinant of how well you'll do, but I'm a little nervous about taking it. I'm doing it for a program I'd like to get into (I don't want to be a help desk technician forever...or even a few more years...).

I can't tell you how much I loath this test. The subject matter is fairly simple, but the questions are designed to trick you, literally. I did very well on the verbal section (98th percentile) and did VERY poorly on the math section. There is a type of question in the quantitative section of the test called Data Sufficiency which are pure evil. This type of question appears on NO other test and it will totally screw you up because thats's exactly what it's purpose is. So, my advice is to study HOW to take the test, much more than the material itself.

All that being said, I took the GMAT 2 years ago and I start at Suffolk University in Boston in January on my way to getting my MBA.

#270884 - 29/11/2005 14:23 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
phi144
enthusiast

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I second...

Quote:
I've been happy with this one. The permanent filter is nice, I just rinse it out every few uses.

My wife has had one for years and has worked perfectly. You can put whatever type of coffee you/she likes in it.

#270885 - 29/11/2005 14:33 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: phi144]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Tony and Doug. I think that's the one I'll go for. And it satisfies the inexpensive part as well

#270886 - 29/11/2005 14:42 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: tman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:

I still think the whole idea of Quidditch is a very poorly thought out game. The fact bits were added in later to show that you can't always win is evident of this.

Leave it to a Muggle to not understand a wizard's game. Sheesh.
Joking aside, I do believe J.K. Rowling's intent was to impress upon readers that the game has so many confusing and contradicting rules that no Muggle could hope to understand it. She didn't spend much time trying to explain those 'rules'.
At movie-making time, some semblance of a game had to be revealed on screen.
I'm by no means a Harry Potter fan, so don't take my word as the last (of course I enjoy the films and books). It all works out in my head, anyway, and that's where I live.

#270887 - 29/11/2005 14:54 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Robotic]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Joking aside, I do believe J.K. Rowling's intent was to impress upon readers that the game has so many confusing and contradicting rules that no Muggle could hope to understand it. She didn't spend much time trying to explain those 'rules'.

*shrug* The rest of the rules aren't too bad apart from the snitch one. That one appears to be purely designed so that there is always an easy copout to make HP the hero.

#270888 - 29/11/2005 15:17 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
There are other pods for it, though, including all types of tea.
ricin.us

#270889 - 29/11/2005 15:41 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: peter]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
It looks like various makes are compatible with each other, and anybody can make pods:

http://www.acsjava.com/c-coffee-pods.html

#270890 - 29/11/2005 17:09 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You are thinking that the game could end naturally, without someone catching the snitch.

You can. You can score enough points via goals or whatever they're called to reach the winning score without anyone having caught the snitch. That's how I remember it from the first book.

#270891 - 29/11/2005 17:11 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ithoughti]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
There is a type of question in the quantitative section of the test called Data Sufficiency which are pure evil. This type of question appears on NO other test and it will totally screw you up because thats's exactly what it's purpose is. So, my advice is to study HOW to take the test, much more than the material itself.

Well, I just solved the first three, and I find them both fun and very simple. What are the time limits?

Edit: Aha, those are there just to explain the concept. Are the real ones more tricky?

Edited by bonzi (29/11/2005 17:13)
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#270892 - 29/11/2005 17:49 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You can. You can score enough points via goals or whatever they're called to reach the winning score without anyone having caught the snitch. That's how I remember it from the first book.
Nope, or at least not the way I remember it (and I've heard the audio book three times due to a slighly obsessive wife and many, many road trips). What I remember is that the game simply does not end until someone catches the snitch- evidence of this was given by an example where one match took several weeks.

Just as a sanity check I looked at a few web sites and none of them said anything about ending the game at a pre-determined score, though one did say both captains could agree to end the match. Apparently my memory is not perfect, though, because according to every site I looked at the snitch is worth 150 points, not 100.

Boy, this thread is making me feel pretty silly. I fear I know waaay too much about an imaginary game that serves mostly as a plot device to make HP a hero. Perhaps that is why I have a ban on HP audiobooks on roadtrips now!

#270893 - 29/11/2005 18:13 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

As usual, Wikipedia comes through. The game ends when the snitch is caught. Whoever has the most points wins. Thus, it is possible for a team to have scored more than 150 points more than the other team via goals and for the losing team to get the snitch and score 150 points and still lose. Of course, it seems like it would be stupid for them to have gotten the snitch at that point, since that means that they cut out time they could have used to catch up first.

#270894 - 29/11/2005 18:20 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
As usual, Wikipedia comes through. The game ends when the snitch is caught. Whoever has the most points wins. Thus, it is possible for a team to have scored more than 150 points more than the other team via goals and for the losing team to get the snitch and score 150 points and still lose. Of course, it seems like it would be stupid for them to have gotten the snitch at that point, since that means that they cut out time they could have used to catch up first.

Wow! Now that this is clarified, that makes even less sense as a scoring method. I think I'll give up and use Stew's (Robotic) reasoning.

Of course, couldn't the seeker of a team losing by >150 just find the snitch somewhere nobody could see, and then just hold onto it until his team is behind by <=150 points?

Wow, this is silly.

Oh, and by the way, does anyone have an answer to #3 and #7? I think those are the only ones left so far. I bought the Black & Decker coffee maker, by the way.

#270895 - 29/11/2005 19:42 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The game ends when the snitch is caught. Whoever has the most points wins. Thus, it is possible for a team to have scored more than 150 points more than the other team via goals and for the losing team to get the snitch and score 150 points and still lose. Of course, it seems like it would be stupid for them to have gotten the snitch at that point, since that means that they cut out time they could have used to catch up first.

Except for getting the snitch value wrong, isn't that what I said in the first place?

#270896 - 29/11/2005 19:52 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Other than snitch = win. I don't remember the movie saying that at all.

#270897 - 29/11/2005 19:58 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

My origional point was that the movie said snitch=win, which is different from the rules in the book. Quite clearly in the book you can catch the snitch and still lose.

#270898 - 29/11/2005 20:06 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I contest your point that the movie said snitch=win. And I just watched the first one a few days ago. It didn't say what else could cause a win, but I don't think it implied that that was the only possible method.

#270899 - 29/11/2005 20:09 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Oh, got it. I misread your post. Apologies. I could be wrong about it, but I really remember the movie saying that. I guess some research is in order.

#270900 - 29/11/2005 20:31 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I haven't seen the movie as recently, but I recall it saying that the rules were the first team to 150 points wins. Also, the snitch is worth 150 points. If this is not the way it was in the books, then that's a failure of the movie. And if they changed it for the movie, it seems odd they wouldn't change the scoring to something that makes more sense.

Oh, and I'm sorry to harp on the subject, but does anyone have an answer to the Netgear XE104 availability question? It's really bugging me now. I've now looked at Amazon's listing for it, which says that the listing has been there since September 28th, but they don't actually have the product. Why would Netgear make it appear that they have a product out - for two months no less - yet not actually release it??

#270901 - 29/11/2005 20:43 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:

Get a small Bodum coffee press.

#270902 - 29/11/2005 20:55 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I contest your point that the movie said snitch=win

The first film had the Gryffindor team captain opening up the box and showing Harry the snitch for the first time. I also seem to recall that he told Harry that if he catches the snitch, they win.

If the Electronic Arts quidditch video game is any indication, that's always the case. They put a lot of work into that video game, making the pre-snitch portion of the game very fun and interesting. And completely useless, since the game always degraded down to the end race for the snitch. No matter how well you did in the initial game, you never managed to get enough points to overpower the value of the snitch. Too bad, because the game was awesome except for that point.

#270903 - 29/11/2005 21:29 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The exact movie dialog was this:

Catch this and the game is over. You catch this, Potter, and we win.

That's all that Harry was told about scoring etc.. in his introduction to Quidditch. In the movie, at least. The book explains the scoring better.

Cheers

#270904 - 29/11/2005 21:38 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, but that was easily hyperbole.

#270905 - 29/11/2005 21:44 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I'd imagine that they're brand new. When I was shopping for a recently released Netgear product not too long ago, I had the same experience. Wait a few weeks.

#270906 - 29/11/2005 22:35 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:

2) I have no walls on the left and right of my home theater setup, a concrete slab floor, and I can't run cable through the ceiling. So I'm forced to run the wires for the rear speakers across the floor and under the couch. This leaves $70 in cables to be stepped on or tripped over. I've looked everywhere for one of those rubber cable protectors, but can't find anything. They're available at Staples and Home Depot, but not in lengths/sizes that I need. I need one where the main channel is .5" high and 1.5" wide, and the whole thing is about 10 feet long.

McMaster-Carr also has something. From their front page, search for 'cable protector' to get to the frame I've linked directly. Anyone can create an account and order stuff- shipped right to your door. Their inches thick catalog is always an education to leaf through, even if you don't want to buy anything from them.

#270907 - 29/11/2005 22:41 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:

I took it as such when I saw the film, too. Although I think it was only on a second viewing that I understood he was exaggerating. Because I seem to recall a slightly more detailed and more accurate expostion about the game's scoring during the actual quidditch match later the same film.

#270908 - 30/11/2005 00:28 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Ah, well tha works too. I took it as simplifying the rules to get the basic idea across for viewers.

#270909 - 30/11/2005 04:32 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'd imagine that they're brand new. When I was shopping for a recently released Netgear product not too long ago, I had the same experience. Wait a few weeks.

I'm glad and sorry to hear that I just called their presales support line, and received next to no usefull information from them. They basically said that I should keep an eye on buynetgear.com for it to show up. What kind of business model is this? Frustrating customers with no word of a real release date is just dumb.

#270910 - 30/11/2005 15:21 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: bonzi]
ithoughti
old hand

Quote:
Quote:
There is a type of question in the quantitative section of the test called Data Sufficiency which are pure evil. This type of question appears on NO other test and it will totally screw you up because thats's exactly what it's purpose is. So, my advice is to study HOW to take the test, much more than the material itself.

Well, I just solved the first three, and I find them both fun and very simple. What are the time limits?

Edit: Aha, those are there just to explain the concept. Are the real ones more tricky?

Yeah, the real ones are much more tricky. They keep it real simple just to explain the concept. The other thing I forgot to mention about the GMATs is that its a Computer Adaptive Test. Meaning that 1. you MUST answer a question to continue 2. the computer "figures" out what level (easy, medium, hard) you are at and hones the test to that level. Problem with that you ask? Well, this means that the first 5 (approx) questions are the MOST important. For example lets say that the first question you get is an 'easy' one. You get it right, the next question is a 'medium' one, you get it right and now you are on your way to a harder question and then a harder one after that if you get it right. Harder questions count more towards your score than easy ones. There is a problem with all this. Consider you get the first easy and medium questions wrong. You are now stuck on the easy or medium track with no (or very few) hard questions in your future. Your chances of recieving a good score are significantly reduced, even if you get all the remaining questions correct.

#270911 - 30/11/2005 16:13 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ithoughti]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Wow. That's poorly engineered.

#270912 - 01/12/2005 05:44 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ithoughti]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
[Yeah, the real ones are much more tricky. They keep it real simple just to explain the concept. The other thing I forgot to mention about the GMATs is that its a Computer Adaptive Test. Meaning that 1. you MUST answer a question to continue 2. the computer "figures" out what level (easy, medium, hard) you are at and hones the test to that level. Problem with that you ask? Well, this means that the first 5 (approx) questions are the MOST important. For example lets say that the first question you get is an 'easy' one. You get it right, the next question is a 'medium' one, you get it right and now you are on your way to a harder question and then a harder one after that if you get it right. Harder questions count more towards your score than easy ones. There is a problem with all this. Consider you get the first easy and medium questions wrong. You are now stuck on the easy or medium track with no (or very few) hard questions in your future. Your chances of recieving a good score are significantly reduced, even if you get all the remaining questions correct.

Ah, so the problem are not the questions themselves, but the system of scoring.

Is there somewhere an online source of more difficult ones?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#270913 - 02/12/2005 14:53 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: bonzi]
ithoughti
old hand

Quote:

Is there somewhere an online source of more difficult ones?

I'm sure there are, but difficult to you is probably different that difficult for me. Besides, just thinking about this test (even though I've taken it already) gives me heart palpitations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >