Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27086 - 23/02/2001 10:55 rattling pull-out handle?
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've had the EMPEG in my car for months and I've only just now started having this "problem". The roads around here suck, so it's a bumpy ride. The EMPEG's pull-out handle has just enough slack in its resting position to clink back and forth with the main case behind it. I'm wondering if anybody has experienced this problem before and come up with a fix.

My current thought is to add some blobs of Krazy Glue where the handle touches the case (and obviously keep the handle up so it doesn't get permanently glued down...). Maybe that would offer some cushioning against the handle. There really isn't room in there to add any rubber pads or anything.

Thoughts?

#27087 - 23/02/2001 11:16 Re: rattling pull-out handle? [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Your springs might have loosened up with age. I have loose handles, too.

Personally, I'd like to see stronger (tighter) springs in my handles. I managed to lose one of the springs on my Mark1, and I think my Mark2 only came with one spring.

Hey, Rob/Hugo, in addition to bringing the bag 'o knobs to the meet on the 3rd, could you bring some replacement Mk1and Mk2 springs?

#27088 - 23/02/2001 13:13 Re: rattling pull-out handle? [Re: tfabris]
Sheetzam

Loc: Annandale, VA
Don't know if this applies or not, but when my Mk1 handle starts making noise, it's a sign that the screws holding it together need tightening. Fixes it every time (twice really).

#27089 - 23/02/2001 17:39 Re: rattling pull-out handle? [Re: DWallach]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
My current thought is to add some blobs of Krazy Glue where the handle touches the case

That won't work... Krazy Glue is very thin, and when it dries will leave just a few thousandths of an inch of material just as hard as the case/handle, and will not reduce rattling.

What you want is some RTV silicone. Your auto parts store will have it. It comes in tubes and is available in blue, black, orange, and clear, and is about as thick as toothpaste when it comes out of the tube. It will dry into exactly the shape it came out of the tube in, and will become what for all practical purposes is a blob of rubber, tough and resiliant.

But before you do that, do as Tony suggested and make sure your springs are present and intact.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#27090 - 24/02/2001 12:43 Re: rattling pull-out handle? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Your springs might have loosened up with age. I have loose handles, too.

Don't worry about it, Tony. We don't love you any less for it.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#27091 - 26/02/2001 08:12 Re: rattling pull-out handle? [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

What you want is some RTV silicone.

Okay. I'll go find some of this and see if it works.