Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#270888 - 29/11/2005 15:17 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
There are other pods for it, though, including all types of tea.
ricin.us

#270889 - 29/11/2005 15:41 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: peter]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
It looks like various makes are compatible with each other, and anybody can make pods:

http://www.acsjava.com/c-coffee-pods.html

#270890 - 29/11/2005 17:09 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
You are thinking that the game could end naturally, without someone catching the snitch.

You can. You can score enough points via goals or whatever they're called to reach the winning score without anyone having caught the snitch. That's how I remember it from the first book.

#270891 - 29/11/2005 17:11 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ithoughti]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
There is a type of question in the quantitative section of the test called Data Sufficiency which are pure evil. This type of question appears on NO other test and it will totally screw you up because thats's exactly what it's purpose is. So, my advice is to study HOW to take the test, much more than the material itself.

Well, I just solved the first three, and I find them both fun and very simple. What are the time limits?

Edit: Aha, those are there just to explain the concept. Are the real ones more tricky?

Edited by bonzi (29/11/2005 17:13)
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#270892 - 29/11/2005 17:49 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
You can. You can score enough points via goals or whatever they're called to reach the winning score without anyone having caught the snitch. That's how I remember it from the first book.
Nope, or at least not the way I remember it (and I've heard the audio book three times due to a slighly obsessive wife and many, many road trips). What I remember is that the game simply does not end until someone catches the snitch- evidence of this was given by an example where one match took several weeks.

Just as a sanity check I looked at a few web sites and none of them said anything about ending the game at a pre-determined score, though one did say both captains could agree to end the match. Apparently my memory is not perfect, though, because according to every site I looked at the snitch is worth 150 points, not 100.

Boy, this thread is making me feel pretty silly. I fear I know waaay too much about an imaginary game that serves mostly as a plot device to make HP a hero. Perhaps that is why I have a ban on HP audiobooks on roadtrips now!

#270893 - 29/11/2005 18:13 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

As usual, Wikipedia comes through. The game ends when the snitch is caught. Whoever has the most points wins. Thus, it is possible for a team to have scored more than 150 points more than the other team via goals and for the losing team to get the snitch and score 150 points and still lose. Of course, it seems like it would be stupid for them to have gotten the snitch at that point, since that means that they cut out time they could have used to catch up first.

#270894 - 29/11/2005 18:20 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
As usual, Wikipedia comes through. The game ends when the snitch is caught. Whoever has the most points wins. Thus, it is possible for a team to have scored more than 150 points more than the other team via goals and for the losing team to get the snitch and score 150 points and still lose. Of course, it seems like it would be stupid for them to have gotten the snitch at that point, since that means that they cut out time they could have used to catch up first.

Wow! Now that this is clarified, that makes even less sense as a scoring method. I think I'll give up and use Stew's (Robotic) reasoning.

Of course, couldn't the seeker of a team losing by >150 just find the snitch somewhere nobody could see, and then just hold onto it until his team is behind by <=150 points?

Wow, this is silly.

Oh, and by the way, does anyone have an answer to #3 and #7? I think those are the only ones left so far. I bought the Black & Decker coffee maker, by the way.

#270895 - 29/11/2005 19:42 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The game ends when the snitch is caught. Whoever has the most points wins. Thus, it is possible for a team to have scored more than 150 points more than the other team via goals and for the losing team to get the snitch and score 150 points and still lose. Of course, it seems like it would be stupid for them to have gotten the snitch at that point, since that means that they cut out time they could have used to catch up first.

Except for getting the snitch value wrong, isn't that what I said in the first place?

#270896 - 29/11/2005 19:52 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Other than snitch = win. I don't remember the movie saying that at all.

#270897 - 29/11/2005 19:58 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

My origional point was that the movie said snitch=win, which is different from the rules in the book. Quite clearly in the book you can catch the snitch and still lose.

#270898 - 29/11/2005 20:06 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I contest your point that the movie said snitch=win. And I just watched the first one a few days ago. It didn't say what else could cause a win, but I don't think it implied that that was the only possible method.

#270899 - 29/11/2005 20:09 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Oh, got it. I misread your post. Apologies. I could be wrong about it, but I really remember the movie saying that. I guess some research is in order.

#270900 - 29/11/2005 20:31 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I haven't seen the movie as recently, but I recall it saying that the rules were the first team to 150 points wins. Also, the snitch is worth 150 points. If this is not the way it was in the books, then that's a failure of the movie. And if they changed it for the movie, it seems odd they wouldn't change the scoring to something that makes more sense.

Oh, and I'm sorry to harp on the subject, but does anyone have an answer to the Netgear XE104 availability question? It's really bugging me now. I've now looked at Amazon's listing for it, which says that the listing has been there since September 28th, but they don't actually have the product. Why would Netgear make it appear that they have a product out - for two months no less - yet not actually release it??

#270901 - 29/11/2005 20:43 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
6) Can anyone recommend a good and/or fairly inexpensive single-cup coffe maker? My girlfriend's co-workers tend to like their coffee strong enough to melt mugs, and wants a little control over hers.

Get a small Bodum coffee press.

#270902 - 29/11/2005 20:55 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I contest your point that the movie said snitch=win

The first film had the Gryffindor team captain opening up the box and showing Harry the snitch for the first time. I also seem to recall that he told Harry that if he catches the snitch, they win.

If the Electronic Arts quidditch video game is any indication, that's always the case. They put a lot of work into that video game, making the pre-snitch portion of the game very fun and interesting. And completely useless, since the game always degraded down to the end race for the snitch. No matter how well you did in the initial game, you never managed to get enough points to overpower the value of the snitch. Too bad, because the game was awesome except for that point.

#270903 - 29/11/2005 21:29 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The exact movie dialog was this:

Catch this and the game is over. You catch this, Potter, and we win.

That's all that Harry was told about scoring etc.. in his introduction to Quidditch. In the movie, at least. The book explains the scoring better.

Cheers

#270904 - 29/11/2005 21:38 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yeah, but that was easily hyperbole.

#270905 - 29/11/2005 21:44 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:

I'd imagine that they're brand new. When I was shopping for a recently released Netgear product not too long ago, I had the same experience. Wait a few weeks.

#270906 - 29/11/2005 22:35 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: Dignan]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:

2) I have no walls on the left and right of my home theater setup, a concrete slab floor, and I can't run cable through the ceiling. So I'm forced to run the wires for the rear speakers across the floor and under the couch. This leaves $70 in cables to be stepped on or tripped over. I've looked everywhere for one of those rubber cable protectors, but can't find anything. They're available at Staples and Home Depot, but not in lengths/sizes that I need. I need one where the main channel is .5" high and 1.5" wide, and the whole thing is about 10 feet long.

McMaster-Carr also has something. From their front page, search for 'cable protector' to get to the frame I've linked directly. Anyone can create an account and order stuff- shipped right to your door. Their inches thick catalog is always an education to leaf through, even if you don't want to buy anything from them.

#270907 - 29/11/2005 22:41 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:

I took it as such when I saw the film, too. Although I think it was only on a second viewing that I understood he was exaggerating. Because I seem to recall a slightly more detailed and more accurate expostion about the game's scoring during the actual quidditch match later the same film.

#270908 - 30/11/2005 00:28 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Ah, well tha works too. I took it as simplifying the rules to get the basic idea across for viewers.

#270909 - 30/11/2005 04:32 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'd imagine that they're brand new. When I was shopping for a recently released Netgear product not too long ago, I had the same experience. Wait a few weeks.

I'm glad and sorry to hear that I just called their presales support line, and received next to no usefull information from them. They basically said that I should keep an eye on buynetgear.com for it to show up. What kind of business model is this? Frustrating customers with no word of a real release date is just dumb.

#270910 - 30/11/2005 15:21 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: bonzi]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Quote:
Quote:
There is a type of question in the quantitative section of the test called Data Sufficiency which are pure evil. This type of question appears on NO other test and it will totally screw you up because thats's exactly what it's purpose is. So, my advice is to study HOW to take the test, much more than the material itself.

Well, I just solved the first three, and I find them both fun and very simple. What are the time limits?

Edit: Aha, those are there just to explain the concept. Are the real ones more tricky?

Yeah, the real ones are much more tricky. They keep it real simple just to explain the concept. The other thing I forgot to mention about the GMATs is that its a Computer Adaptive Test. Meaning that 1. you MUST answer a question to continue 2. the computer "figures" out what level (easy, medium, hard) you are at and hones the test to that level. Problem with that you ask? Well, this means that the first 5 (approx) questions are the MOST important. For example lets say that the first question you get is an 'easy' one. You get it right, the next question is a 'medium' one, you get it right and now you are on your way to a harder question and then a harder one after that if you get it right. Harder questions count more towards your score than easy ones. There is a problem with all this. Consider you get the first easy and medium questions wrong. You are now stuck on the easy or medium track with no (or very few) hard questions in your future. Your chances of recieving a good score are significantly reduced, even if you get all the remaining questions correct.

#270911 - 30/11/2005 16:13 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ithoughti]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Wow. That's poorly engineered.

#270912 - 01/12/2005 05:44 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: ithoughti]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
[Yeah, the real ones are much more tricky. They keep it real simple just to explain the concept. The other thing I forgot to mention about the GMATs is that its a Computer Adaptive Test. Meaning that 1. you MUST answer a question to continue 2. the computer "figures" out what level (easy, medium, hard) you are at and hones the test to that level. Problem with that you ask? Well, this means that the first 5 (approx) questions are the MOST important. For example lets say that the first question you get is an 'easy' one. You get it right, the next question is a 'medium' one, you get it right and now you are on your way to a harder question and then a harder one after that if you get it right. Harder questions count more towards your score than easy ones. There is a problem with all this. Consider you get the first easy and medium questions wrong. You are now stuck on the easy or medium track with no (or very few) hard questions in your future. Your chances of recieving a good score are significantly reduced, even if you get all the remaining questions correct.

Ah, so the problem are not the questions themselves, but the system of scoring.

Is there somewhere an online source of more difficult ones?
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#270913 - 02/12/2005 14:53 Re: Question Thread #2 [Re: bonzi]
ithoughti
old hand

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Quote:

Is there somewhere an online source of more difficult ones?

I'm sure there are, but difficult to you is probably different that difficult for me. Besides, just thinking about this test (even though I've taken it already) gives me heart palpitations.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2