Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#271826 - 12/12/2005 01:35 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: jimhogan]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
The RIAA. 'Nuff said.

-Zeke

#271827 - 12/12/2005 03:22 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: Ezekiel]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
The RIAA. 'Nuff said.

Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something. I haven't bought an RIAA CD in quite a while, mainly because of the letter they send to my very innocent coworker claiming she owed them $1.5 million. The fact that they left her alone after she got a lawyer doesn't make me much happier. I guess they just go after those who can't get a good defense.

#271828 - 12/12/2005 12:27 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: JeffS]
MarkH

Definitely Sony, and for a while now. Mostly because of their insistence on coming up with proprietary add-ons where perfectly good standards already exist, then gouging you for the parts (eg Memory Stick). Then a laptop I had that they refused to release W2k drivers for because they wanted you to buy a new laptop instead. Eventually I did - and guess which manufacturer didn't get on the shortlist ? And latterly because of the whole DRM nonsense from the music division.

I've actually heard a lot of people say this - that the music business idiocies are affecting their decisions in buying from the consumer electronics business. I've always been a big fan of their industrial design aesthetic, but now there are only two Sony items in my house, and both are low cost ones which will not be replaced by Sony units when they expire.

Mark

#271829 - 12/12/2005 16:44 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: jimhogan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
what single company are you not patronizing for political reasons?

Geico insurance because of their agressive lobbying to make radar detectors illegal.

tanstaafl.

#271830 - 12/12/2005 16:53 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: boxer]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
Before that I was boycotting Comet for a "No Hassle" extended warranty, that was just the opposie.

Same problem here, shitbags

#271831 - 12/12/2005 20:27 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: jimhogan]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Nestle, for dumping contaminated milk powder on the starving in Africa, and getting paid for it on a UN/UNESCO supply contract, and their attitude after they were caught doing it.

Trouble is, in this country (yUK), they are quietly, and not so quietly, buying up all the major brands that I have previously enjoyed: to stick to my guns, I really have to grit my teeth sometimes - and sound like an ar****le for refusing chocolates when my friends offer them It gets easier if you think about the number of children with perforated bowels as a result of consuming the stuff (they didn't have much choice - their mothers gave it to them out of a bottle), and the number they killed, too.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#271832 - 12/12/2005 20:32 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: FireFox31]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Quote:
Their environmentally destructive history is unimaginable.

Remember the Exxon Valdeez? Not a drop of their petrol has been burnt in any of my cars since.

Vote with your (economic) feet
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#271833 - 12/12/2005 20:45 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: schofiel]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
For me it has to be De Beers. Through fantastic marketing they have convinced every woman in the western world that a man needs to buy you a diamond to show he loves you.

They hold such a tight hold on the mining of diamonds people at the bottom are left in poverty, while De Beers themselves hold huge stocks in reserve to restrict supply of larger stones, so increasing the price.

Straight fact: I will never buy a De Beers diamond. If I am to buy a diamond I will need proof of it origin first!

Cheers

Cris.

#271834 - 12/12/2005 20:53 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: Cris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I loved their "We're out of big diamonds? Well, it's all about total carat weight of tiny diamonds" about-face, too.

#271835 - 12/12/2005 21:03 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: schofiel]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Remember the Exxon Valdeez? Not a drop of their petrol has been burnt in any of my cars since.

Vote with your (economic) feet

Yes, I still remember, and I'll never fill up at an Exxon/Mobile station ever.

Don't forget, on the fiscal quarter that Katrina and Rita blew through a whole bunch of oil production in TX and LA, Exxon had made a record $10B profit. Gee, no price gouging, or anything like that going on...

#271836 - 14/12/2005 03:00 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: MarkH]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
Definitely Sony

They are my close close second to Exxon / Mobile. Slapping a Memory Stick slot on every device isn't useful, it's pathetic, showing desperation in the face of popular flash memory and trying to further entrench their customer base. The last Sony product that I've owned (and didn't even buy) was an old 80's Walkman. Pah, "Sony Style", you've got nothing on Apple.

Quote:
Valdeez

I was an impressionable youth when that story broke. Seeing such widespread destruction of helpless animals and ecosystems makes me sad and furious to this day.

Come to think of it, I should probably not engage in any Exxon / Mobile sponsored events or frequent their owned buildings. I've probably been going to the "Exxon / Mobile Opera House" without even knowing it.

#271837 - 14/12/2005 03:21 Re: Poll: Boycott Fiat! [Re: FireFox31]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Oh what a delimma. Imagine the Super Bowl being, Exxon's Superbowl xxxieeee!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2