Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#271838 - 10/12/2005 18:38 Negative feedback snipe?
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I would like to submit negative feedback on ebay at the last possible second. I guess this is 90 days after the auction closed. Is there a program or service out there to do this? I also heard that if you use a certain URL containing the auction ID, you can leave feedback after 90 days are up. Does anyone have that, because that would also be good.

Scum bag seller is threatening to leave me negative feedback if I leave some. I paid immediately and their service was over-the-top shitty I am determined to eff-up their ebay score.

#271839 - 10/12/2005 18:55 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: robricc]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I had plans to do this once. Trouble was I wasn't 100% certain if the 90 days was from (a) the time it was listed, (b) the time the auction ended (c) the time of the winning bid, or (d) if it was a BIN auction, was it when it was bought. So I chickened out and didn't bother. After 90 days I had calmed down anyway!

eBay used to have a link that would allow you to leave feedback after the 90 days were up but this has long since vanished (on .co.uk at least).

I too would be interested in software/website that would do this for me.

#271840 - 10/12/2005 19:04 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

This thread seems to suggest that its not possible to snipe feedback

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jsp?forum=16&thread=810108744

#271841 - 10/12/2005 19:22 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Damn, that sucks. I guess the lesson leared is to have seperate ebay accounts for buying and selling. The buying account doesn't really need to have clean feedback nearly as much as the selling one.

#271842 - 11/12/2005 00:08 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: robricc]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Quote:
Damn, that sucks. I guess the lesson leared is to have seperate ebay accounts for buying and selling. The buying account doesn't really need to have clean feedback nearly as much as the selling one.

But, as a buyer, if I see a prospective seller has negative feedback from something he did as a buyer, I disregard it. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'm not going to hesitate buying something from you because of something you did as a buyer.

It's interesting you brought up this point. I've been wanting to post a similar thread this past week. Only recently did I start using my eBay account to buy stuff. I have been selling pretty heavy since May. I am SO annoyed that sellers don't leave feedback until AFTER I leave them some. That is such crap. Once they get my money, they should leave Positive feedback. That's what I do. I leave good feedback the second I print the shipping lable. As a buyer, the person has met their obligation. But no. Now that I'm buying, I get these stupid emails saying "Please leave positive feedback once you get the item and I'll do that same."

It makes the feedback system worthless. I almost didn't leave someone Neutral feedback the other day because I was afraid they'd leave me negative feedback even though I paid the moment the auction ended. Ebay already has a system where you can reply to any negative feedback left to you, but so many people use feedback as ransom.

I might start leaving positive feedback that says "I paid immediately, but seller only gave me good feedback after I did the same." Maybe we can start shaming some of these people.

#271843 - 11/12/2005 00:15 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

They should make it so the feedback doesn´t appear until after the 90 days are up, or after both parties have left feedback.

#271844 - 11/12/2005 00:53 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: robricc]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
What I have done, and this worked the one time I tried it, was to open the leave feedback window close to the 90 days ending. When I could no longer leave feedback (using another updated window), I left neg feeback using the window that was opened (about two weeks earlier, as it turned out), and it took.

#271845 - 11/12/2005 09:27 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Quote:
Once they get my money, they should leave Positive feedback

I disagree. Feeback should be based on how you conduct yourself throughout the entire sale. I almost always leave my buyers feedback after they acknowledge they have received the item and are happy with it. Theres too many nightmare buyers who might pay immediatley but then decide once they have the item that they want a refund (usually as they've not bothered to read the description or they have buyers remorse) and then send offensive emails - why should they get a positive for that? If I'd left them a positive then they'd just try to hold me to randsom over it.

The whole feedback system is flawed though as too many people are scared to neg incase they get one in return (like Rob). I think theres too many people (me included) who take too much pride in their 100% record. Maybe this should be revised but I don't know what would work better.

#271846 - 11/12/2005 18:24 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
sellers don't leave feedback until AFTER I leave them some

That's because buyers don't bother to leave feedback unless they have they have this incentive. As a buyer, I like to leave feedback after I receive the product and test that it is working. I often don't have time to test it, so I forget to leave feedback.

As a seller, I leave feedback once payment is received. But I like to receive feedback from my buyers. I only recently noticed the action we're discussing, but I half considered starting to use it.

#271847 - 11/12/2005 18:39 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Personally, I think this whole feedback thing is a crock. I don't see any reason to leave any feedback unless something extraordinary happened. I think rewarding someone for not being a total incompetent is ridiculous. It's kinda like the tip jar at a deli. You're not getting waiters' pittances for payment and you made my sandwich accurately. Why should I give you extra money for simply doing your job? I don't request extra money when I successfully change out our backup tapes or install a piece of software. That's simply part of my job.

#271848 - 12/12/2005 16:31 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Personally, I think this whole feedback thing is a crock. I don't see any reason to leave any feedback unless something extraordinary happened.

Bitt, I must respectfully disagree.

The purpose of the feedback is not to make the recipient of the feedback feel good, or to praise him just for doing his job. It is to provide an impression for other people who might partake of his services -- an impression to let them know whether in fact he is doing his job properly.

The feedback I leave is generally not effusive -- mostly along the line of "Shipped promptly, reasonable shipping charges, item as described." It is reassuring to me when I purchase something on eBay to find a hundred other people bought from that seller and had no problems.

tanstaafl.

#271849 - 12/12/2005 16:43 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: robricc]
Redrum
old hand

I've been seeing a lot of positive feedback with negative comments lately.

That might be an option. I guess a lot of people don’t want the reprisals but are at least getting the message out, in a limited fashion.

#271850 - 12/12/2005 18:39 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

But with the current system, there's no way to distinguish between someone who's doing an adequate job and someone who's doing an excellent job. Someone who's made 1000 sales and has no feedback at all would seem to me to indicate that he's doing his job just fine. But that's represented in the current system by 900 positives. If you went to a store and nine out of every ten people unsolicitedly told you that they did a good job, you'd think it was the best store in the world. But on eBay, that just means that they didn't actively screw it up.

#271851 - 12/12/2005 18:53 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: wfaulk]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Personally, I think this whole feedback thing is a crock. I don't see any reason to leave any feedback unless something extraordinary happened. I think rewarding someone for not being a total incompetent is ridiculous. It's kinda like the tip jar at a deli. You're not getting waiters' pittances for payment and you made my sandwich accurately. Why should I give you extra money for simply doing your job? I don't request extra money when I successfully change out our backup tapes or install a piece of software. That's simply part of my job.

Hello Mr. Pink.

#271852 - 12/12/2005 18:56 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: BAKup]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Learn to fucking type.

#271853 - 12/12/2005 20:26 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: wfaulk]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Learn to fucking type.

#271854 - 14/12/2005 15:11 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I think everyone who makes regular use of eBay knows that the feedback system doesn't imply a "rating" - it's there as a document of transactions. Without the feedback, ebay has no other way of reporting how active a member has been.

As part of a feedback revamp they might consider bringing an auction counter which would effectively keep track of transactions. Then the feedback could be used to specify the quality of those transactions where warranted. That doesn't do anything to alter or put into perspective the millions of feedback entries already now present.

As a seller I will usually leave ffeedback when I'm good and ready. I NEVER leave feedback as soon as I receive payment. For the reasons mentioned. I will leave it once I know the buyer is satisfied with the transaction. Even if it means doing it before they do.

Bruno

#271855 - 14/12/2005 17:29 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Yes, but it's my point that that system is worthless. It would be amazingly trivial to simply have the user page list number of sales and number of purchases (I thought that that's the way it was anyway) and have feedback for extraordinary situations.

#271856 - 14/12/2005 18:01 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: wfaulk]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Only one buyer ever left negative feedback on me, a nutter who sent me 10 emails complaining, despite the fact that I'd offered an immediate refund, when he didn't like the goods, even criticising the way I'd packed it. About a fortnight later I was travelling around the Country and realised that I was near his town, so I put his postcode in the TomTom and went and interviewed him on the subject, at 6' 3", he was staring at my navel and shaking with fear, not that I had any intention of physical violence: The posting was withdrawn a few days latet! - but personally I don't go by those postings at all.

#271857 - 14/12/2005 20:18 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I don't see why people want high numbers anyway. Anything over 50 or so is enough for me. Someone with a 20,000 feedback isn't as likely to return emails promptly as it is.

I like the idea of putting a "positive" with honest comments. I read the comments and toss out the generic ones. Usually I look for an item from a previous sale to see if the piece I'm buying is junk or not.

#271858 - 14/12/2005 20:38 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tman
carpal tunnel

Feedback scores are reasonably easy to artificially increase if you've got some time and a little bit of money to spare. eBay only stores the auction details for a limited amount of time before deleting it. Once deleted, you can't tell what was bought. Only that somebody left so and so feedback for that item. If you wanted to bump up your score then you'd create a bunch of fake accounts and sell yourself something.

#271859 - 15/12/2005 00:48 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: tanstaafl.]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I agree with you. Only today, as a buyer, I had a close shave while looking for an airflow sensor for my car; the potential seller was implying that his sensors were made by Bosch, they're not. After looking at his feedback from buyers, he's just selling plain white-boxed products as I suspected - in spite of the 'sample' pictures with Bosch boxes that, in my opinion, he uses to mislead buyers.

Some of the revealing comments weren't even negatives. If I'd have read a negative like "doesn't fit my car" then I'd have assumed the buyer was negligent in buying the wrong item - I think most of us can see past the stupid ones left out of ignorance.

A careful reader won't believe everything he/she reads on eBay's feedback but I feel confident in saying that with its help you can spot something bad, as long as its been bad for a little while.

#271860 - 15/12/2005 02:40 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: robricc]
robricc
carpal tunnel

I had to hire an attorney today, so it's safe to say that I will be leaving the most scathing negative feedback possible. I've decided not to let the possible retaliation get to me.

Do any of you guys think it's wise or even allowed to put a web address inside a feedback? I would like to detail the events that have unfolded for all to see for all time.

#271861 - 15/12/2005 08:43 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: robricc]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

You cannot put a website in feedback. eBay will simply remove it. You also cannot swear, threaten them or mention the police etc or it will be removed. Sucks doesn't it?

#271862 - 15/12/2005 10:29 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: robricc]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

You CAN put a link in your "About Me" page... maybe hint for viewers to check your "About Me" page?

#271863 - 15/12/2005 11:06 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Good call.

#271864 - 15/12/2005 11:51 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
You also cannot swear
Fair enough

Quote:
threaten them
Ditto

Quote:
mention the police
Now this one is strange. The seller could have sold me something stolen which was then confiscated by the police and I can't mention that at all? That really does suck.

#271865 - 15/12/2005 12:22 Re: Negative feedback snipe? [Re: tman]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I imagine (hope?) that if anything involving the police is proven, the account will be deleted by eBay? Maybe it just prevents baseless accusations.