Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272170 - 14/12/2005 21:36 Posting And You...
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
OMFG EMPEG ROXORZ TEH BIG ONE111!

/forgive me if the link is old news- I did do a cursory search, though.
//betcha bunches of youse guys have seen it already
///betcha others are gonna laugh as hard as I did

#272171 - 14/12/2005 21:45 Re: Posting And You... [Re: Robotic]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, it has been posted here before, but very funny.

#272172 - 14/12/2005 21:48 Re: Posting And You... [Re: Dignan]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
We're thinking of making it a sticky at my car club forum.
Heh- another web-classic!

Edit:
Ah- My Search Fu is most embarassed!
a link through time!

Edited by Robotic (14/12/2005 22:01)

#272173 - 14/12/2005 21:58 Re: Posting And You... [Re: Robotic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
And having participated in the Steam forums occasionally (out of need for technical information about HL2 or CS:S), I have to say, the clientele to which that piece was targeted is clearly not getting the message.

#272174 - 14/12/2005 22:04 Re: Posting And You... [Re: Robotic]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And while we're on the topic (Bitt mentioning Mister Period earlier today made me think of this)...

Mr. Period Returns.

#272175 - 15/12/2005 13:48 Re: Posting And You... [Re: Robotic]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
OMFG EMPEG ROXORZ TEH BIG ONE111!

Spoiler:
EBG13SY!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#272176 - 16/12/2005 00:10 Re: Posting And You... [Re: tfabris]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Do you ever end up speaking to those same people on Teamspeak while playing? If so, how do they speak? For example, while playing Eve I often hear folks pronouncing (e.g.) "pwn" as "pawn" or "pawnz". I haven't noticed but presumably they also say "teh" but my brain simply refuses to recognise it:)

#272177 - 16/12/2005 02:54 Computer geeks "language" through the ages [Re: AndrewT]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Anyone who speaks outloud in 1337-speak just doesn't get the joke. Its failure to translate to speach is akin to handwriting the countless facial expressions during a conversation.

This leads into a thought I had recently: Wouldn't it be interesting to compare the "languages" usd by different generations of computer geeks. What does the Comodore/Amiga game coding generation think of the early 90's BBS generation? How does the ARPANet "language" compare to the early university Internet and compare to today's 1337 speak?

I hypothesize that one generation doesn't evolve into the next. The computer geek languages grow around the technology of the time, which seems to to have distinct generational changes when viewed on a large enough scale. On of my college professors gave the example from his hayday: the 300 baud modem Lisp programmer would invite you to dinner by saying "foodP" to which you'd respond "T". How would that look in the language of ARPANet, FidoNet, MUDs, BBSs, CompuServe, or World of Warcraft?

My train of thought ended by derailment when I realized: older computer geek languages are likely less interesting because computing was less networked and there were less (yet infinitely more interesting) people communicating in that way, leaving less chance for evolution in that generation. But maybe some of you can proove me wrong. How did you PDP11 engineers converse electronically (on punch cards?)? What was the inside-joke lingo for you TRS80 hacks? What sorts of made up words were snuck into those early RFCs by you working group types?

#272178 - 16/12/2005 02:56 Re: Posting And You... [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Do you ever end up speaking to those same people on Teamspeak while playing?

I have long since turned off the voice chat features of Counter Strike because there's always at least one bad apple per server who is being a weenie and abusing it. Usually it's someone under the age of fourteen.

Yeah, I know you can mute individual players, but the problem is that then you've gotta mute all the players complaining about the guy they don't know how to mute, and... well, it was just too much hassle. So I just turned off the voice feature.

#272179 - 16/12/2005 08:12 Re: Posting And You... [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

The tactical advantage of voice communications is enormous, though. I play BF2 while on the telephone with my friend. We use an "overwatch/assault" approach, with the security/overwatch troop spotting targets for the assault/maneuver troop via voice comm. The security/overwatch element contains the squad leader, so the assault has a spawn point.

I'm pretty addicted to BF2. The commander mode and squad leaders as spawn points add so much to the FPS genre. One of us will often play the commander -- the ultimate overwatch position.

J

#272180 - 16/12/2005 08:39 Re: Posting And You... [Re: AndrewT]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Do you ever end up speaking to those same people on Teamspeak while playing? If so, how do they speak? For example, while playing Eve I often hear folks pronouncing (e.g.) "pwn" as "pawn" or "pawnz". I haven't noticed but presumably they also say "teh" but my brain simply refuses to recognise it:)

I've heard pwn with a schwa, somewhere between "pwun" and "pw'n", and I've also heard "teh" to rhyme with "day" (but "te" with that pronunciation means "our" in Maori, so when a New Zealander says "You are teh god", it could be either). John, who spends more time in World of Warcraft than is perhaps healthy, has been known to say "O.M.F.G. one one one".

Peter

#272181 - 16/12/2005 16:31 Re: Posting And You... [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I play BF2 while on the telephone with my friend.

I don't know if BF2 has a similar feature-set, but doing this in Counter-strike is cheating. Because when one of you dies, that player can spot for you in spectator mode if they're on the phone with you. The built-in voice features of Counter-strike prevent the living players from hearing the dead players' conversations so that this doesn't happen.

Quote:
The tactical advantage of voice communications is enormous, though.

Oh, I agree. I love playing in a game where that feature is used well by all the participants. I just find that it's so rare online that I just stopped looking for it.

I particularly like doing team-based games at LAN parties, so you can communicate with your teammates.

#272182 - 16/12/2005 17:24 Re: Computer geeks "language" through the ages [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US

#272183 - 16/12/2005 18:28 Re: Computer geeks "language" through the ages [Re: FireFox31]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

When I was an undergrad at Berkeley ('89-'93), we adopted the MIT speak wholesale. It's amazing how easy it is to start saying "foodp". Evolution from MIT? We'd sometimes use Scheme syntax, so it became "food?" to which the answer might be "#t". The question mark syntax was just too close to normal, so we mostly settled on "foodp". At the time, the big game was netrek, and that led to its own vocabulary that showed up elsewhere. (Notably, "doosh" and "ogg". As I understand it, "doosh" originated as a verbal sound effect by a particular player; he'd be yelling it out as he was shooting...)

#272184 - 19/12/2005 03:21 Re: Posting And You... [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

It's only cheating if you communicate when you're dead. We don't do that. What's the point of playing if you're going to cheat? Anyhow, BF2 pretty much solves this problem with a server-option to freeze your POV when you die. IIRC, counter strike had that option, too.

Most online gamers seem to use Teamspeak now instead of the built-in voice comm stuff.

Edited by TigerJimmy (19/12/2005 03:24)

#272185 - 19/12/2005 03:36 Re: Computer geeks "language" through the ages [Re: FireFox31]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Cargill used to be a customer of mine. At the time, they were the largest privately-owned company in the world. They also had the second largest private rail transport fleet.

Anyhow, Cargill's original business was buying grain from grain elevators and selling it on the exchanges. When you buy grain on an exchange (and probably other comodities, I don't know), you buy an amount of the commodity at a particular *time*, and at a particular *place*. Cargill built the largest grain transport system in the world. Because of this, they could actually "take delivery" of the grain they bought, because they had the ability to send a "unit train" to go pick up the order. Well, you can see where this leads: commodity arbitrage. They know transport costs to the 4th or 5th decimal place, they own the infrastructure, and they can thus buy on one exchange, say Kansas City April, and sell it across the country at another price. That's the limit of my understanding of this incredibly complex system and business envonronment. Except for one other thing:

All of this requires communication. They actually have the ability to divert rail freight already enroute to take advantage of changing market conditions. They built a communication system that was a sort of private email system that linked the entire US. This was decades before ubiquitous email, and they shouldered the cost of the infrastructure.

It was very, very expensive to send these messages and not much bandwidth was available, so a language evolved of excessive shortening of words. "Thought" is "thot", etc., but to a truly absurd degree. Its a hodge-podge language of phonetic spelling, abbreviation, etc.

Its now considered kind of a badge to send emails in this cryptic jargon, because it supposedly indicates you were there in the way-back-when days of the company. Its so prestegious that relatively new employees actually pick it up as an affectation. When you see an email from one of the real codgers, it's almost unreadable.

Jim