Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#282211 - 31/05/2006 19:51 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I read Frank Miller's Batman, The Dark Knight Returns and while some areas the content were a bit dark for my taste, it was one of the most engaging comics I've read. I'd be interested to see a movie based on it.

#282212 - 31/05/2006 19:57 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: JBjorgen]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
That was not the comic that the movie was partially based on, though. See if you can find a copy of Batman: Year One. It's still dark, but in a less grim-meathook-future way. I think it's much more compelling, personally.

#282213 - 31/05/2006 20:52 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: sein]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'll say it again in case people thought I was joking... Daredevil (yes, the movie with Ben Afleck) was head and shoulders above X3, X-Men The Last Stand. More entertaining in a general sense. I've only ever read a couple of Daredevil comics and that was years and years ago. But even with equal basic knowledge of the characters of both movies, it's easy to see the X-Men were just represented without heart, emotion and above all, without the attitudes found in their print counterparts.

Bitt mentioned the Daredevil story that provided the foundation for the movie was great and that the movie didn't do it justice and was just "ok." I can't say the same for the X-Men movie. The Dark Phoenix saga is what many fans were expecting - and that's one hell of a phenomenal story arch. The movie gave us a confused Jean Grey and that's it. No story elements from the comic beyond the name "Phoenix" - no sense of dread or omnipotent power. Phoenix was an entity and a destroyer of whole races & planets. Instead we got a few people and buildings disintegrating. What we also got was the door slammed on the possibility of doing anything remotely similar to the comic in the near future.

My hope is they let the movie series die for a few years and bring it back when someone serious enough about the subject matter comes along. Just like they did with Batman. As an aside, the Val Kilmer and George Clooney movies were worse than the latest X-Men movie - I'll give that up easily. In fact they belong in the short list of all-time worst movies ever.

Bruno

#282214 - 31/05/2006 22:42 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: hybrid8]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Quote:
In fact they belong in the short list of all-time worst movies ever.

Short.
Not if you're writing the list.

#282215 - 01/06/2006 04:28 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: Dignan]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
I'm with you. I too liked Daredevil and The Punisher. I never did see Elektra. I will wait for X3 to come out on DVD before I see it. I'm not much for going to the theater. The experience is generally far worse than watching it at home. I won't get too excited about the movie not following the written story either. It has been my experience that the film that closely follows the written story is a rare bird indeed.

#282216 - 01/06/2006 07:45 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Of course, there were a number of real stinkers directly before them: Constantine . . .
Really? What was wrong with Constantine? I thought people generally were pretty favorable toward that one. The small group of people I know who are into the comic really liked it a lot. Well, the small group that doesn't include you, of course

I'm not into comics at all, so I really don't know about any of these storylines our how well these movie translations have been. I thought Elektra wasn't as horrid as everyone made out, but it wasn't really that good either. I loved the two X-Men movies and the Spider Man movies, and I never saw Daredevil. I thought Hellboy was kind of fun, though I don't know anything about the comic strip. The first two Batman movies were a lot of fun as well, while 3 and 4 were awful (4 having the great distinction of being the first movie I saw with my wife- yes she stuck around after that so I knew I had a keeper!). People who are not Tim Burton should not try to do Tim Burton. Batman Begins was superb. I cannot think of a comic book movie that I enjoyed more than Batman Begins. Did anyone NOT like "Batman Begins?"

#282217 - 01/06/2006 12:26 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: JeffS]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I've heard some people didn't like Batman Begins. No one I know personally, but on the net (as usual ) I thought it was great. Easily the best comic-based superhero movie of the past decade. I also quite liked Hellboy. I feel it was easily better than the first two X-Men movies as well. I certainly found it more enjoyable and hope they continue with at least the same level of quality for the sequel. I also like Constantine - though I'm not familair at all with the source (comic) material.

Bruno

#282218 - 01/06/2006 13:11 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: JBjorgen]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
I read Frank Miller's Batman, The Dark Knight Returns and...I'd be interested to see a movie based on it.

As long as they kept Joel Schumacher away from the project and stayed true to one or two of the story lines in the book--perhaps the introduction of a female Robin, the fighting of the Mutants and Batman nearly decimating Superman in a showdown (they can't do the Joker thing, 'cause he's already dead in the movies)--then it might truly rock.

#282219 - 01/06/2006 13:13 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: hybrid8]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Quote:
I thought [Batman Begins] was great. Easily the best comic-based superhero movie of the past decade.

You got that right. It was the best of the series since the original Batman movie.

Be on the lookout for the new upcoming Ghost Rider movie. I was never a fan of the comic book, and I cringe to see Nicholas Cage in the lead role, but if you liked Hellboy, this one may appeal to you.

* Edit: Link added.

Edited by Cybjorg (01/06/2006 13:16)

#282220 - 01/06/2006 14:03 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: Cybjorg]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The upside to it being Nick Cage is that he, personally, is a huge Ghost Rider fan. He has a Ghost Rider tattoo. So, with that in mind, I have the feeling that he won't let it turn into a steaming pile of crap. It might anyway, but there will at least be someone important on-set trying to prevent it.

#282221 - 01/06/2006 14:21 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
What was wrong with Constantine?

It was, to reuse a phrase, a steaming pile of crap. It was a terrible movie, regardless of its complete bastardization of the source material. The only thing in it that was any good at all was the Peter Stormare/Tilda Swinton scene towards the end. You know, where the entire rest of the lousy-acting cast were nowhere to be seen.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I remember basically just laughing at it once I got over the anger of the completely lousy adaptation and the horrible set design.

Basically, what I'm saying is that it has no connection to the comics other than the name, but even ignoring that supposed connection, it was a laughably bad movie. It was basically a poorly produced 80s Schwarzenegger/Stallone movie with the addition of some supernatural crap. You'd think that if they're going to get rid of the musclebound idiots they could at least find a scrawny man who could act.

For the record, in the comics (Hellblazer, BTW, is the name of the comic), John Constantine is a mediocre magician whose greatest power is that he knows everyone in the underworld and can manipulate them to get what he wants. He's a con artist, and always getting himself in trouble. He's also English -- the character was created by an Englishman and is usually written by a Brit -- and blond. He was designed after Sting (of the mid-80s). If you've ever seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer, take Spike, remove the fact that he's a vampire, and you're basically left with John Constantine. Although Giles's mostly implied background is obviously very influenced by Constantine's backstory. Now that I think about it, The Frighteners was actually a pretty good Hellblazer adaptation, not that it was intended as such. Certainly better than Constantine.

#282222 - 01/06/2006 14:40 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: Cybjorg]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
they can't do the Joker thing, 'cause he's already dead in the movies
I was under the impression that if they kept going with new Batman movies, they'd essentially be re-writing a new storyline rather than trying to tie in with the previous four movies (meaning they could do a different Joker storyline where he doesn't die). Is that incorrect?

And as much as I hated the Shumacher Batman movies, I'm not really sure it was his fault as much as it was the failure of trying to put out a Tim Burton style movie with someone other than Tim Burton directing. I don't think any director could have done those movies well and still kept consistent with the style that Burton initiated. Christopher Nolan did a good job making a Christopher Nolan style movie instead of trying to imitate Burton.

#282223 - 02/06/2006 13:03 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
they can't do the Joker thing, 'cause he's already dead in the movies
I was under the impression that if they kept going with new Batman movies, they'd essentially be re-writing a new storyline rather than trying to tie in with the previous four movies (meaning they could do a different Joker storyline where he doesn't die). Is that incorrect?

I was wondering what he meant by that statement too. It's called Batman Begins for a reason. It's a complete retelling. Besides, Cybjorg, did you miss the very last minute of the movie?

#282224 - 05/06/2006 11:39 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: wfaulk]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
The upside to it being Nick Cage is that he, personally, is a huge Ghost Rider fan. He has a Ghost Rider tattoo. So, with that in mind, I have the feeling that he won't let it turn into a steaming pile of crap. It might anyway, but there will at least be someone important on-set trying to prevent it.

Pretty much anything he is in turns to crap, at least in my opinion. He overacts so badly that it is painful to watch a lot of the time.

#282225 - 05/06/2006 14:31 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: Tim]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Pretty much anything he is in turns to crap, at least in my opinion. He overacts so badly that it is painful to watch a lot of the time.

There are a lot of people who really dislike his acting, I've found. I never really understood it. Yeah, he has his mannerisms that could be taken as overacting, but he's turned out a lot of good films/performances. I certainly enjoyed these:

Raising Arizona
Lord of War
Adaptation
Bringing Out the Dead
Leaving Las Vegas
8MM*
and I kind of liked Snake Eyes

(and for the popcorn movies)
Face/Off
Con Air (you can't possibly point out bad/over acting in this ridiculous movie)
The Rock
It Could Happen to You

IMO, that's a pretty good resume. At the very least, I wouldn't say any of these movies "turn[ed] to crap."

*well, I certainly didn't like 8MM, but I thought he was pretty good

#282226 - 05/06/2006 15:07 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: Dignan]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
You didn't mention "Birdy" - one of my Nic Cage favorites...

- Jon

#282227 - 05/06/2006 16:29 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Out of the movies you listed, I really did like Raising Arizona and Face Off wasn't bad. When I think of overacting (and specifically my comment on being painful to watch) I was thinking of both The Rock (although the story and Sean Connery helped that one) and Leaving Las Vegas.

You were right about Con Air being ridiculous. I believe that is the only movie with John Cussack that I didn't love.

#282228 - 05/06/2006 21:06 Re: Was X-Men 3 the worst movie of the year? [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
And out of those, I only liked Lord of War and The Rock. The others I just couldn't stand. In fact, I walked out of Raising Arizona, That's a big deal as I've only walked out of 2 other movies. Kingpin and Natural Born Killers. Blech.

Edited by lectric (05/06/2006 21:07)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2