Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#282717 - 08/06/2006 15:54 Rio Cali Help Desk
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
My daughter has an old Rio Cali (the 128MB version) with an additional 256MB SD expansion card. When the player is connected to the computer and being read by Rio Music Manager, it shows the entire capacity as available and even allows it all to be filled with music. The problem is that more often than not, the player decides to ignore the additional card, only displaying the songs that are written to the internal memory. At other times, however, the full list is available.

Has anyone else had this problem, and what might be the cause and solution?

EDIT: I forgot to add that the player is running firmware v. 2.43.

Edited by Cybjorg (08/06/2006 15:57)

#282718 - 08/06/2006 18:15 Re: Rio Cali Help Desk [Re: Cybjorg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Was the Cali one of the players that the Cambridge team worked on?

If not, there might not be anyone here knowledgable enough to help you. Definitely search around for other forums to ask the same question. Not sure if there are any, though. Does Riovolution cover the flash memory players?

Anyhow, with zero knowledge of the flash players, my first guess would be problems with the contact points between the SD card and the player. Either crud on the contacts themselves, or broken/intermittent circuit traces or solder joints leading to the contacts. Also, a bad/flaky memory card might be the cause.

#282719 - 08/06/2006 18:34 Re: Rio Cali Help Desk [Re: tfabris]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Cali did come out of Cambridge. My friend's player had another problem with the memory card reader. The memory card kept coming up as incompatible and adding tunes to the empty player was not possible. I just flashed the player with the same firmware version and I think there was a check box to format the player at the same time. I think I checked that, and all has been well since.

#282720 - 09/06/2006 07:16 Re: Rio Cali Help Desk [Re: robricc]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I believe the only formating of the flash drive was in the player. I pulled it out and formated it seperately and it seems to be working for now.