Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#283105 - 14/06/2006 08:20 Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Was just wondering wether this is still likely to be going ahead given the upcoming change to Hugo's location?

Andy M

#283106 - 14/06/2006 12:42 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: andym]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
It's my understanding that the mini-meet was planned because of Hugo's moving. Hence the part about giving away stuff.

My flight and hotel is booked. See you there!

#283107 - 14/06/2006 13:00 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: andym]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Hugo's already working for Apple, but he's not actually moving out there until later in the year. The July mini-meet is still very much on, last I heard.

Peter

#283108 - 14/06/2006 16:06 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: robricc]
andym
carpal tunnel

Cool, I can't remember which announcement came first, the mini-meet or the move.

Anyways, Cris and I will be there!

Andy M

#283109 - 14/06/2006 16:43 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: andym]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Elaine and I will be there - with Elaine probably straight off the flight from New Jersey!

#283110 - 14/06/2006 17:35 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: julf]
andym
carpal tunnel

Nice one!

One last thing.... it's still on the 29th of July isn't it?

Andy M

#283111 - 14/06/2006 17:43 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: andym]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yep, mini meet is still on for the 29th July (that's the BBQ). For those around on friday evening, we're going to the Al Casbah for some food (though you're not allowed to compare the quality of the professional barbeque with the amateur one the next day, ok? ), followed by a pub I suspect.

Fingers crossed for the weather - Im now worried that the summer will have used itself up this month and there won't be any left for July! If it's bad then I've got a gazebo and I'm sure with a little duck tape we can join multiple gazebos together for that "star wars ice base" feel. Cat5 will be provided

Hugo

#283112 - 14/06/2006 18:02 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: altman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Friday and Saturday is very tempting. Will have to see what Cris wants to do.

Andy M

#283113 - 14/06/2006 20:13 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: altman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
This month's project in the UK and associated travel dates are slipping a couple of weeks, but I still won't stay late enough in July to make the meet.
Sure wish I could though.
Oh well- at least I can look forward to more SF meets.

#283114 - 14/06/2006 22:13 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: Robotic]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

Oh well- at least I can look forward to more SF meets.

Yeah, we'll have to have one this summer to "welcome" Hugo. With a little bit of luck, I might be in town (SJ) on a day when he's also around. Headline News: Lord meets Creator in California. Details at 11!

#283115 - 14/06/2006 23:21 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: altman]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Quote:
Yep, mini meet is still on for the 29th July

I'd like to come.

Is it supposed to be a lunch BBQ? I'm at work until 1pm, so realistically not really going to be able to make it to Cambridge until 4pm at the earliest.

Just wondering whether that is a good time or not. Can't really take the day off unfortunately.

#283116 - 15/06/2006 12:29 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: altman]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:
Yep, mini meet is still on for the 29th July (that's the BBQ). For those around on friday evening, we're going to the Al Casbah for some food (though you're not allowed to compare the quality of the professional barbeque with the amateur one the next day, ok? ), followed by a pub I suspect.

Haha! I was one of the first to jump in for the mini-meet and Hugo promptly did his poll shortly afterwards. Unfortuantely, my girlfriend has organised something for 29th so I won't be able to attend the mini-meet, but we're doing something super fun anyway!

However, the friday I will be around, so it'd be nice to say hello & goodbye to hugo, maybe get him to sign my ArcBBS manual

If you're going to be down on the friday night Andy, then it'd also be nice to catch up with you!

Humn...food for thought (and eating!).

Adrian

#283117 - 15/06/2006 14:01 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: sn00p]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Quote:
However, the friday I will be around, so it'd be nice to say hello & goodbye to hugo, maybe get him to sign my ArcBBS manual

Oh.. which one was yours then?

Rob (Noah BBS 2:252/106)

#283118 - 15/06/2006 15:15 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: rob]
sn00p
addict

Quote:

Oh.. which one was yours then?

Rob (Noah BBS 2:252/106)

Oh cool. My foray into running a BBS didn't last long!!! I had help from olly tseliki (sp?) trying to get it all working, I can't remember the name of his bbs now though.

In the end I think I just used to to test stuff that I'd written to make sure it worked correctly on one of the BBS's we used to have our own area on (demo group!) - but can't remember the name of that BBS now though!

So you owned/ran noah then? That's pretty cool, I used to use that occasionally I think! The BBS I used to use most was TWoC.

When I saw that the MK1 used a strong-arm the first thing I kind of wondered is "I wonder what Hugo Fiennes is upto now?", wasn't until a couple of years later that I found this place (after lusting after the empeg for that time) that I realised hugo was behind the empeg!

Think I sent a message to him and he said that he should resurrect TWoC because it was still on one of his machines!

Adrian

#283119 - 15/06/2006 16:08 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
Friday and Saturday is very tempting. Will have to see what Cris wants to do.

Depends on sleeping arrangements etc... I think Friday is unlikely for me as I won't finish work until 4(ish ) No way I can have any more time off work until October now

If there is promise off a bed in a hotel room somewhere and someone orders me something nice, I should make it for the meal, what do you think Andy? It would mean going down together is out of the window?

Although there is little room to bring back anything interesting we might find while we are there, may be 2 Smarts are better than one?

Cheers

Cris.

PS - First post made on new MacBook.

#283120 - 15/06/2006 19:27 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: Cris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Don't mind really, could always forget Friday and travel up Saturday AM instead. Depends upon what you think we might end up coming back with.

Anyways, I might not have the fortwo by then!

Andy M

#283121 - 15/06/2006 20:06 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: andym]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

Anyways, I might not have the fortwo by then!

Tease, do tell...

#283122 - 15/06/2006 20:15 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

I'm looking at getting a Brabus Roadster. Agonising over stretching to get a new one, or getting a 6 - 8 month old one and spending the balance on a MacBook Pro and a new camera.

Andy M

#283123 - 16/06/2006 07:19 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: sn00p]
rob
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Oh cool. My foray into running a BBS didn't last long!!! I had help from olly tseliki (sp?) trying to get it all working, I can't remember the name of his bbs now though.

I remember Ollie - wasn't he one of the rebels with an Acorn BBS running on a PC? I recall he helped me when I transformed Noah into TNCS on a PC (that didn't last long!).

Quote:
So you owned/ran noah then? That's pretty cool, I used to use that occasionally I think! The BBS I used to use most was TWoC.

Yep, I was the second ArcBBS sysop after Alan Glover (well, and after Hugo obviously). I guess that would have been 1989 - I wasn't old enough to drive yet, and Hugo had just bought his MX5. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Quote:
Think I sent a message to him and he said that he should resurrect TWoC because it was still on one of his machines!

Arcade BBS is still online but I suspect it's probably the last ArcBBS in use. My (highly modified) A440 is still in the garage somewhere so it's quite possible Noah has survived on some dodgy old 40GB hard disk.

http://arcade.demon.co.uk/

Rob

#283124 - 16/06/2006 08:48 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: rob]
sn00p
addict

Wow. I thought your name was familier, but I never quite picked up on it! Just logged onto Arcade, I remember the login screen well now, couldn't remember my old ID number though so just created a new account for nostalgia, now I remember what ArcBBS looked like!!!

Out of interest, what happened to the serial port? What happened to all the software that Hugo put out, was it sold onto other companies or did Hugo just forget about it?

I'm always interested in seeing source code from that era, it was where I learnt to program, it's always "home" for me and I've got a massive soft spot for it!

I remember hugo giving me the source code to demo II to demo V (he'd lost the source to demo I!) and that was kind of interesting to look at, I'd love to see the source behind some of his commercial projects - barring of course if the rights were sold on, commercial sensitivity (can't imagine a whole lot now!) and Hugo's good will - and of course if he still has it! (we lost the source code to our first cad program here at work - although people still phone up because they're using it!). I'm not exgagerting when I say Hugo was somewhat of an Archimedes god!

Probably the most exciting time I've ever had in computing!

#283125 - 16/06/2006 08:48 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: sn00p]
altman
carpal tunnel

Frighteningly, TWoC is actually about 3 feet from me at the moment. I really ought to dust it off and see if it still works

Of course, I don't actually own any modems anymore...

Hugo

#283126 - 16/06/2006 08:50 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: sein]
altman
carpal tunnel

BBQ on saturday is going to be early afternoon onwards, not really worked it out yet. I guess it'll start no earlier than 5 (I need as much time as possible to get stuff ready!)

Hugo

#283127 - 16/06/2006 08:59 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: altman]
sn00p
addict

Quote:
Frighteningly, TWoC is actually about 3 feet from me at the moment. I really ought to dust it off and see if it still works

I wonder if my user account is still on it?

Ahh...those were the days!

#283128 - 16/06/2006 08:59 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: sn00p]
altman
carpal tunnel

The Serial Port was shut down - Atomwide re-designed the hardware of the two port serial card (which became their 3 port) and sold this for many years afterwards, they also sold ARCterm for a while.

ARCbbs was slightly too high support for anyone to take on, and dialup BBSes had lost their shine by that point anyway, what with that new fangled internet thing. I can't remember what happened with Investigator, I think he didn't do any more versions and it sort of petered out (either that or he started selling it himself - it was so long ago I really can't remember any more!).

I really ought to find a monitor that'll work on my A540 and try turning it on again. It's got a 10bT network on it, it could come to the US and run on my broadband connection... ideally I'd find an emulator for linux/osx and just run the whole machine under emulation, though that would require emulating a serial port and hooking it to a telnet server

Hugo

#283129 - 16/06/2006 09:01 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: altman]
sn00p
addict

What about Tracker? I know that was sold through the serial port, but was that written by another guy? I seem to recall that being the case.

Adrian

#283130 - 16/06/2006 09:03 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: sn00p]
altman
carpal tunnel

That was a QD enterprises product, though QD did use the serial port name when I was working for them. Fabrice Mercier was the guy; ISTR that when he came back from his compulsory military service (in France) he wasn't much interested in working on tracker anymore.

edit: There was the original soundtracker player that I wrote for the archimedes, but that was just a player and didn't get sold as such - well, we did flog lots of disks with the player and amiga music on them for not much more than the cost of the floppies at one acorn show, but didn't do it really commercially... that itself only came about because we were playing them on our booth and everyone was asking for a copy!

Hugo

Edited by altman (16/06/2006 09:11)

#283131 - 16/06/2006 10:02 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: sn00p]
rob
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm always interested in seeing source code from that era, it was where I learnt to program, it's always "home" for me and I've got a massive soft spot for it!

Hugo's "demo" code must have been responsible for launching more than a few software writing careers! The serious apps he knocked out inspired me to learn C and get more involved in software development. Years later he was also kind of responsible for getting me out of software development. I'm not sure which one to thank him for!

Quote:
I'd love to see the source behind some of his commercial projects - barring of course if the rights were sold on, commercial sensitivity (can't imagine a whole lot now!) and Hugo's good will - and of course if he still has it!

Dave & Dave were given the ArcBBS source and continued to maintain it when Hugo packed it in.

Quote:
I'm not exgagerting when I say Hugo was somewhat of an Archimedes god!

Acorn god, empeg god, Rio god - and soon Apple god maybe? How much divinity can fit in one small person?

Quote:
Probably the most exciting time I've ever had in computing!

Me too, it's all down hill from there, eh?

Rob

#283132 - 16/06/2006 10:36 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: rob]
sn00p
addict

I'd imagine that virtually 100% of all demos released on the Acorn featured hugo's soundtracker code, I know the source for that was released because I used it myself!

Sadly it has been downhill in terms of programming from there, going from the ARM to the X86 was a massive shock, "what only 6 registers?" that I don't think I ever quite got over that one.

Things were fun on the Acorn platform, the OS was brilliant, the API wasn't just extensive, it was gigantic! (I put my ROS3 PRM's in the loft the other day and it nearly killed me!)

Sadly that whole low level/close to hardware scene is pretty much gone now, I used to write games, & desktop applications on Risc OS in assembler for fun, it was so satisfying. When I moved over to the PC it was still MS-DOS & windows 3.1, so I got to play with hardware direct, doing funky stuff with VGA registers and the like .

It's a shame that to a certain extent that whole side of computing has been lost, ok, opengl makes it a sinch to draw a gouraud shaded polygon on the screen - but I remember writing my own routines for drawing gouraud polygons in assembler!

As for now? Well, at this very moment we've just finished a production run on a ARM based product, so I've been doing lots of embedded ARM stuff which is much more fun than fighting with Windows!

Adrian

#283133 - 16/06/2006 12:50 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: rob]
altman
carpal tunnel

I think "acorn god" is rather over-doing it, I wasn't even anywhere near the real top league of acorn people - Neil Raine would probably fit that better given his amazing game coding on the BBC!

Many people will shudder at the thought of me inspiring programmers; bad habits learnt from me that early on in a programmer's life could be fatal

As for ArcBBS, I had an HDD crash and lost some source. Piecing it together again from sector editors meant that I somehow got a mismatch in the API somewhere (you never can tell how old the file fragment you've found is!) which meant the messagebase was never as stable again. I never did get to the bottom of exactly why that was (any messagebase corruption was a big, big, pain to sort out on big bbses like Arcade or TWoC) so it sort of withered a bit.

It's definitely all downhill now, yes. And the brakes don't work...

Hugo

#283134 - 16/06/2006 12:57 Re: Empeg Cambridge Mini-Meet [Re: altman]
rob
carpal tunnel

Quote:
It's definitely all downhill now, yes. And the brakes don't work...

I hear Microsoft have a vacancy..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >