Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284000 - 04/07/2006 20:03 New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg?
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I owned a 4 cylinder 4x4 toyota before being moved abroad. I liked the fact that it a manual transmission, was easy to see ahead in traffic as it was higher than most cars, got decent gas mileage, and allowed me to haul stuff when I needed. I didn't like that it was only a 2-3 person vehicle and it didn't have enough speed to make it "really" fun like the mustang.

Based the subaru owners on this boards constant recommendations, I've setup a couple of Outback test drives next week. One car that I like is the Outback XT but reading some of the posts, it seems that installing an empeg is not easily done. Is there an option (or lack of) that makes the install easier?

Other short list vehicles for test drive include the Magnum, Mustang, and Civic Hybrid. Any other recommendations?

#284001 - 05/07/2006 13:59 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: Mach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Is there an option (or lack of) that makes the install easier?

From everything that's been posted so far, there does not appear to be a way to get around cutting the dash plastic a little bit. You've seen the pictures, you know what I'm talking about.

I don't know what the newest scoobies are like, but when you're test driving, look at the dash and make sure it still matches the photographs. If they've changed it to something even less compatible, let us know. Heck, bring a digicam on the test drive and post pics here.

#284002 - 05/07/2006 14:09 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
I've had my '06 WRX for a bit now, but I haven't installed the empeg yet. I'll probably have to do some dremeling to get it to fit properly, and I'm guessing the Outback will probably be the same.

One of these day's I'll get around to actually installing it and take pictures. So far, since my commute is only ~ 5 minutes, I haven't really missed it being in the car.
ricin.us

#284003 - 05/07/2006 14:14 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: ricin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sacrelige.

#284004 - 05/07/2006 14:27 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: Mach]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
The new model Outback (05+) has integrated climate controls in the dash with the factory radio and cannot be separated. I believe that some standard Legacy models have separate climate controls, but most Outbacks will have the integrated stereo. The one place to put the Empeg is in the top accessory pocket, as shown in Ezekiel's post. It doesn't fit perfectly, and some supports have to be cut in the dash in order to make the opening deep enough to fit the sled. A good way to integrate with the factory stereo would be with a JL Cleansweep which would give you line outs from the factory stereo and an aux in for the Empeg. You would have to mount a separate volume control for the Cleansweep.

You would also be able to buy a factory fit sub from JL, their Stealthbox looks like it works well for the newer Outbacks (I had to make my own for a 2000).

#284005 - 05/07/2006 14:50 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
ricin
veteran

Yeah. I listen to it at work, though, so no stone throwing yet.
ricin.us

#284006 - 05/07/2006 14:51 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: cushman]
ricin
veteran

Quote:
The new model Outback (05+) has integrated climate controls in the dash with the factory radio and cannot be separated.

True. He's going to run into more problems with that stuff. My car doesn't have all that.
ricin.us

#284007 - 05/07/2006 17:27 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: tfabris]
Mach
old hand

Alrighty then, I'll bring a test picture and camera. I'm not worrie about cutting if it can be done. The dual climate controls were mentioned previously so I was wondering if that was standard or part of the option package.

Cushman: Thank you for the input on the JL audio Clean Sweep. I'll likely go this route if the test drive works out.

#284008 - 05/07/2006 19:35 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: Mach]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
One thing to note - if you get the GPS option, you'll have no place to put the empeg. Otherwise, I think you'll in the same position I'm in with the '05 Outback VDC wagon. I looked at Subaru's site this morning and the radio/dual climate control are identical to mine. Still post a pic and I'll comment.

I've about 45k miles on mine and still like it a lot.

Impreza/WRX is a different creature.

-Zeke

#284009 - 12/07/2006 01:58 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: Ezekiel]
Mach
old hand

I couldn't wait til Saturday so I swung by the dealership this afternoon after I checked into my hotel. The manual transmission Outback has been sold but I test drove an automatic. First, I like it! A couple of things bugged me but no deal breakers (what's up with the sport shift "feature" on the automatic? It tries for the best of both worlds but fails miserably.) Looks like the dash is identical to image posted by Ezekial and no expected changes for 2007 but possibly 2008.

I rented the 06 Mustang to give it a try. Very disappointing. The interior is a caricature of a vintage mustang, just awful.

I also stopped by the Dodge dealership to take a look at the Magnums. It doesn't look as though dash is any easier to modify than the outback. Interestingly, the experience at the Subaru dealership was much, much better than at the Dodge dealership. The BS deterctor pegged when the dodge salesman told me that the empeg would "plug right in, no problem" even after I explained that it was a DIN after market radio. Oh and he tried to convince me the Dodge invented motor mounts(?) for the Magnum. Not new ones, just motor mounts in general.

If I can find a dealership that doesn't make me want a shower afterwards, then I'll try a test drive this weekend.

#284010 - 12/07/2006 10:28 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: Mach]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
The only time I've ever used the 'sport shift' (or whatever the auto/manual thing is called) is during heavy snow storms when I a) wanted to specify an exact gear and b) didn't want to remove my hands from the wheel. Otherwise it goes unused.

Which motor were you testing - 4/normally aspirated, 4/turbo or 6?

-Zeke

#284011 - 12/07/2006 11:13 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: Ezekiel]
Mach
old hand

I test drove the XT. I looked at the 2.5i but the XT is likely what I'll go for (I'm very curious about the ability to tune the turbo.)

#284012 - 11/08/2006 02:00 Re: New car search - Subaru Outback with Empeg? [Re: Mach]
Mach
old hand

Thanks for the help guys. I pick up the Outback tomorrow. I'm going to hold off on dash cutting in favor of an Aux-in solution. If Stu is successful with the display extender, I'd like to install the empeg display in the ashtray location using a relocation panel. More on the install later...