Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#285901 - 23/08/2006 20:16 The Prism DuroSport
music
addict

Dwight: Oh, man, is that a Prism DuroSport?
Pan: You've seen one of these?
Dwight: Yeah, they're like an iPod, only they're better. 'Cause they're chunkier and more solid.

Now you can get your own, right here.

http://www.prismdurosport.com/products/

#285902 - 23/08/2006 20:18 Re: The Prism DuroSport [Re: music]
music
addict

I think my favorite part is the 'Patented Super High-Intensity Toggle' with 72 positions.

Either that or "There is almost no danger involved in using the new Deuterium-Tritium batteries."

Or perhaps the DRM which allows the copyright holder to restrict which day of the week you can listen to certain songs.

Medialoper has a very, um, even-handed review of the product.

http://www.medialoper.com/columns/reviews/prism-durosport-review/

#285903 - 23/08/2006 21:16 Re: The Prism DuroSport [Re: music]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I know it's a pisstake but one of the local computer shops sells the mp3 player shown in the picture. This just reminds of Nathan Barley's Wasp T12 mobile phone.

Andy M

#285904 - 24/08/2006 12:42 Re: The Prism DuroSport [Re: andym]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
The initial quote is from the US version of "The Office", which, by the way, is actually pretty good. It's a little different in mood from the British "The Office", but pretty close. (Dwight is the US version of Gareth, and Pam the US version of Dawn.)

Edited by wfaulk (24/08/2006 13:22)

#285905 - 24/08/2006 14:31 Re: The Prism DuroSport [Re: wfaulk]
music
addict

Quote:
The initial quote is from the US version of "The Office", which, by the way, is actually pretty good.

I think it's fantastic!

Imagine! A U.S. comedy that doesn't have a laugh track, relies for much of its humor on interactions between personalities rather than simply cheap gags, and gets a lot of mileage out of uncomfortable silences.

Whodathunkit?

Even better, other people think so, too. (Meaning it won't be instantly cancelled like many good shows.)

I believe it has received a few Emmys (at least it was nominated for a boatload of them).

Now to contradict myself a bit, one of the "cheap gags" that I kind of liked was the fake Public Service Announcements they did on some commercial breaks.

It looked exactly like the standard "the more you know..." announcements featuring famous stars, except that it would be a description of how to defend yourself during a wolf attack, or an admonishment that "Videotaping yourself having sex is never a good idea. You think you'll erase it, but you never do."

Anyway, I haven't managed to catch a full episode of the British original yet, but I'll have to make a point of tracking those down. I assume they'll be as good or better. Though, I really like Steve Carell's portrayal of the ultimate American-style incompetent and self-absorbed boss, thoroughly unaware of his own incompetence.

#285906 - 24/08/2006 16:04 Re: The Prism DuroSport [Re: music]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Quote:
Anyway, I haven't managed to catch a full episode of the British original yet, but I'll have to make a point of tracking those down. I assume they'll be as good or better.

I've tried to get in to the British version before and after the US version started airing. I don't find it funny in the least, even though I think the US version is great. Some of the racial jokes are more in-your-face than the US version, but it's just extremely dull otherwise.

Another issue is that it's hard to understand the British accent when the camera isn't fixed on their lips and spoken under someone's breath as it often happens in the series. I often have to use the Tivo replay feature when watching the British version to catch what was said. That gets a little annoying. I understand The IT Crowd well enough, so it's not normally hard for me to grasp UK English.

If you want to the the British "The Office," most cable and satellite systems carry BBC America these days. The series is often played in a marathon during odd holidays.