Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#28836 - 04/04/2001 19:54 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: fvgestel]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
When the unit is hanging (stuck), the displayserver does not respond to either winamp or IE if I try to load any of the web pages. I don't use the DNS to resolve the empeg, just its static IP # (which is outside the DHCP ranges). With emplode the behavior is a little different, emplode will 'see' the IP address, but then sometimes fail to connect. Sometimes emplode does connect, and emplode behaves normally, but my streams don't come back after I sync, even if I quit & re-launch winamp. The empeg disk is thrashing the whole time displayserver is stuck.

As to the home/work thing, I've listened much more at work, so I cannot say that for certain. Let's see...There, I just made it do the same thing at home (a few browse windows and two copies of winamp). Interestingly enough the two winamp instances returned at the exact same time while the two IE windows are still not responding. Now both winamps have cut out again, they seem to have played out their buffers. The empeg is still responding to pings here at home while the streams & webserver are stuck/not responding. About 5 minutes now.

I've just rebooted the empeg and the streams have both started up again with no help from me and a refresh brings up the web pages. Very disconcerting listening to Surf Safaris' Wipeout and Moby Ah-Ah at the same time.

Another interesting thing is that when I unplugged the empeg the winamps slowed their connecting/failed to connect cycle from very fast to quite slow. I can only assume that is because the request packets are timing out instead of coming back refused from a valid address, causing a greater delay in the attempt/fail cycle in winamp.

Ok, the Frantics (CBC) and techno do not mix. That is official. The Frantics win. Enough for tonight.

-Zeke

just say you weren't paying much attention...

ps, been listening for about 40 minutes here with no problems where as at work it's about 3 songs max (and I don't mean Genesis Supper's Ready length songs either).

Edited by Ezekiel on 05/04/01 04:20 AM.

#28837 - 11/04/2001 08:48 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: Ezekiel]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Update :

I've experienced the same problem as you had. Last week I switched to playing through winamp and displayserver instead of direct.
One day it did hang and I couldn't connect to diplayserver. On serial console I noticed that every new ds-process was killed by the player-app due to memory problems. After stopping the player app, I was able to connect again and look at the process-table. There was one ds-process, which was in the sleep mode and probably consuming a lot of memory(although it didn't show up in the process-stats). A "netstat -a" on the NT4 workstation showed one connection in state CLOSE_WAIT. My theory is that there is some packet-loss on the network, causing connections to end in CLOSE_WAIT or FIN_WAIT2. UNfortunately I didn't have access to all commands on my empeg, so I couldn't do a netstat on there. Another item for the system-info page...

BTW, this happened after playing 6 hours of music without problem and after three days without problems.

Frank van Gestel

#28838 - 13/04/2001 15:44 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: fvgestel]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Frank,
That's certainly interesting. I spent some time today watching the collision lights on my hubs and saw some spurts of collisions, so what you mention is certainly not out of the question. Is there any way (short of reconfiguring the network or running an RCA from my empeg to my sound card) that I can work around this? A twiddle somewhere perhaps?

-Zeke

#28839 - 13/04/2001 15:48 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: Ezekiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
or running an RCA from my empeg to my sound card

That's how I listen to my empeg at work and at my computer at home. The empeg goes into the "line in" of my sound card and everything is peachy.

Is that all you wanted to use Displayserver for? Listening to the MP3s? Heck, you don't need all the network stuff just to do that.

#28840 - 13/04/2001 19:18 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Yeah, but Tony, it's just _so_ d*mn cool! Anybody can use a line in, where's the fun in that?

-Z

Speaking of cool: Ipaq with Linux running DOOM in landscape mode seen at the embedded system show. I want it! If Nintendo ports Gameboy to Palm size devices they'll make some great money. That is the killer app IMHO.

#28841 - 15/04/2001 20:10 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: Ezekiel]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Speaking of cool: Ipaq with Linux running DOOM in landscape mode seen at the embedded system show.

I tried that distro on my iPaq and found it to be one of the more advanced ones for the UI. Problem is that it had an older handhelds.org kernel, so no power managment was present. The current situation on the iPaq Linux ports is that it either has an awesome UI, but no power managment, or some power managment, but no decent UI. I figure I am going to wait about 6 or so months to let things advance before replacing WinCE on my iPaq. Because personally, I like being able to use the power button on the top (a glorified sleep button), instead of the actual power switch, thus loosing any saved changes.

#28842 - 15/04/2001 20:46 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: drakino]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

It's funny how that stuff never gets mentioned at these shows... Hopefully I'll be getting one of these soon (on order etc...) & can play around.

-Zeke

#28843 - 20/04/2001 10:34 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: Ezekiel]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

END OF STORY:

IP address conflict.

There was an old (& almost never used) Xerox printer which was set to the same IP address as the empeg & had escaped my master lists. DUH. 'Nuff said. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Feeling very stupid,

-Zeke

#28844 - 20/04/2001 10:41 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: Ezekiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There was an old (& almost never used) Xerox printer which was set to the same IP address as the empeg & had escaped my master lists.

The users probably wondered why all their print jobs never worked. Every time they'd send a report to the printer, it would spout MP3 playlists instead...

#28845 - 20/04/2001 10:58 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

SEG.

Question: Why do I get connections to tomato.pizza.org when I'm browsing this site? (says netstat /a) Are they the host?

Edited by Ezekiel on 20/04/01 07:04 PM.

#28846 - 20/04/2001 14:58 Re: Displayserver & 1.02 in W2k network [Re: Ezekiel]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
Question: Why do I get connections to tomato.pizza.org when I'm browsing this site? (says netstat /a) Are they the host?
tomato.pizza.org is the primary dns name, which gets responded when you look up the IP-address. the other names are only used to resolve from hostname to IP-adress

Frank van Gestel

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2