Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#291736 - 25/12/2006 14:23 Best media for long-term backups/archives?
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
Good day and Merry Christmas to all!

I am looking for opinions on which type of media is best for long-term storage of important business data like emails, tax files, Excel spreadsheets and Word documents, so a time frame of at least 5 years, preferably longer, is required.

Currently we use CD-R or CD-RW, but the amount of data is growing.

I always thought tape was the de-facto standard for long term storage, but lately DVDs seem to get a good rating.

How would external hard drives rate for long-term data integrity assuming the drives had a suitable length warranty?
I assume no warranty will cover the data on the drive though.

Obviously there are significant price differences between the different media and the hardware to drive it, but I am just looking at media reliability at the moment.

Thanks.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#291737 - 25/12/2006 15:12 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: pedrohoon]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
For myself personally I just keep the really important files on several computers and I'm looking at running an rsync mirror on a machine at work too.

If I was keeping someone else's (or company) data then I'd probably hedge my bets and go with nightlies on removable HD and weeklies or monthlies on DVD-R using a decent brand of disc burnt at a slow speed.

That said, there are probably as many different methods as there are likely to be responses to this thread!

Andy M

#291738 - 25/12/2006 16:13 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: pedrohoon]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I tend to think that it doesn't matter what you store it on, it just needs to be in multiple locations, and it needs to be tested regularly, so one bad backup will be caught before the duplicate goes bad. Given those restraints, look at your data, and decide what's best.

I personally rsync to my dreamhost account which gives me 200GB of storage, and keep everything else on external hard drives.

Matthew

#291739 - 25/12/2006 20:41 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: pedrohoon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm curious to know the answer to this, too. I'm wondering how CD-R and DVD-R stack up against things like tape and other magnetic media. How long, for example, would the data on a standard IDE hard disk last if the disk was left in the closet for 20 years? DLT Tape? Etc...

#291740 - 25/12/2006 20:43 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Answer to the CD-R question is here. Still wondering about the others.

#291741 - 26/12/2006 13:23 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: tfabris]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

That was an interesting read Tony, especially the bit about microwaving CDs!

After some googling I found this on media life expectancy, suggesting that tape may not be the best long-term backup solution compared to optical or hard drives although this appears to be the authors opinion.

Edit: I also found this article that mentions the sources of information for its figures.

I would be interested in peoples experiences with different media in real life.

Edited by pedrohoon (26/12/2006 13:36)

#291742 - 26/12/2006 14:12 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: pedrohoon]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
His opinion on tape is pretty well accepted. It's not really intended for long-term archiving; it's intended for portability and ease of reuse.

Unfortunately, DVD-R (not RW) is probably your best choice. (I've not looked into the aspect of the archive suitability of the various DVD-R dyes. One of the CD-R dyes was chemically unstable and would degrade over time. Make sure the same is not true of the DVD-R ones.) I've had to deal with this in the past and it's not fun. Then again, no aspect of backup and archiving is fun.

Anyway, since DVD-Rs are irretrievably physically changed when burned, they stack up better than magnetic media, which could be affected by passing magnetic fields and which loses its magnetic polarities over time, or RW media, which will lose its data over the passage of time as the thin layer of metal loses its crystallization.

#291743 - 27/12/2006 01:53 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: wfaulk]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Something recently also highly recommended DVD+R over DVD-R media.

#291744 - 27/12/2006 10:51 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: mlord]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

That was going to be my next question:

Should I use DVD+R or DVD-R?

I understood that DVD-R is better for video as it has better compatibility with a wider range of players, and DVD+R is better for data because it has better error correction or something?

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#291745 - 27/12/2006 13:39 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: pedrohoon]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada

#291746 - 28/12/2006 01:05 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: pedrohoon]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
That was an interesting read Tony, especially the bit about microwaving CDs!

I liked the part about making spinners.

#291747 - 31/12/2006 17:33 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: gbeer]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I just came across this tidbit from engadget (Posted back in Oct.) about a 100 year lifespan Blu-ray disc. 100GB capacity.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/panasonic-says-that-its-100gb-blu-ray-discs-will-last-a-century/

#291748 - 01/01/2007 19:49 Re: Best media for long-term backups/archives? [Re: petteri]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
But 100 years have not passed yet, which makes me sceptical about manufacturer's lifespan claims.

I read an article a year or two ago about early CDs which HAD been around for many years. Discs which were (is this right?) 15 or 20 years old now were flaking and disintigrating in horrible ways.

Sure, media technology has improved over time, but time itself is the best measure of archive media quality. The previous suggestion of keeping multiple copies in multiple locations is good. I'll suggest archives be "refreshed" by copying their data to new media at reasonable intervals (yearly?). If the data is that important, the cost of media and its storage is negligible.