Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#292349 - 14/01/2007 15:45 Re: Bush address re: Iraq [Re: webroach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
Just because the radical sects of Islam want to commit violent acts when their faith is mocked doesn't make it acceptable

Than maybe the world needs to try and understand this radical sect. Though, as mentioned above, that's a bit difficult.

As humans, we've learned to overcome challenges handed to us. Since globalization, understanding people of vastly different cultures is a "new" problem. In time, we'll overcome it. If we want to.

#292350 - 14/01/2007 19:33 Re: Bush address re: Iraq [Re: FireFox31]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Than maybe the world needs to try and understand this radical sect. Though, as mentioned above, that's a bit difficult.

I agree, on both counts. My biggest complaint about the West's interactions with the Muslim world in general, and the groups we refer to as terrorists specifically, is that there seems to be so little interest in asking questions. Questions such as "why are you so angry towards us?" I know that sounds like a very childlike, simple question, but I believe sometimes those are the most important ones.

I think that the West underestimates how strongly the "memory" of the crusades and the stories of Saladin resonate with a lot of people in the Muslim world. The atrocities committed by Christians against the Muslim world far outweigh anything the so-called terrorists have done in the intervening centuries. And people forget that, or try to wipe it away by saying "oh, that was so long ago." Well, Nazi Germany was a long time ago, too (granted, orders of magnitude of difference as far as time is concerned), but that's still fresh in everyone's mind. So I think Israel is a huge part of the problem, and so is the fact that Iraq has been invaded by "crusaders" once again. When they hear King George talk about "God" and the "struggle in Iraq", how can they not think about the crusades?

#292351 - 15/01/2007 18:24 Re: Bush address re: Iraq [Re: webroach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
like trying to excuse the behavior of NAMBLA

For the longest time, I thought that was just a running joke on South Park and The Daily Show. One day, I looked it up in Wikipedia to determine which of those two shows made the joke first, only to discover to my horror that it was real and they hadn't made it up at all. *shudder*

#292352 - 15/01/2007 19:02 Re: Bush address re: Iraq [Re: tfabris]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Quote:
like trying to excuse the behavior of NAMBLA

For the longest time, I thought that was just a running joke on South Park and The Daily Show. One day, I looked it up in Wikipedia to determine which of those two shows made the joke first, only to discover to my horror that it was real and they hadn't made it up at all. *shudder*

Yeah, it is pretty sad and scary. Sometimes I think we take acceptance to far, and it just devolves into rampant relativism. Stuff like NAMBLA and pro-anorexia organizations stretch my definition of what is acceptable. To each their own, but I don't have to agree with it or accept it. I put "people committing acts of violence or calling for acts of violence because they don't like a cartoon" in the same category.

#292353 - 15/01/2007 19:41 Re: Bush address re: Iraq [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
To someone that didn't already know different, the episode covering Scientology might have been thought to be completely fictitious.

Most everything in South Park is there as social commentary on the "real world" - sometimes the names are not changed to protect the guilty.

#292354 - 16/01/2007 01:00 Re: Bush address re: Iraq [Re: webroach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
so little interest in asking questions

Or so much work to prevent asking questions. We won't be so terrorized if we know the who, what, where, when and why of it. There's a certain crowd control to maintaining the veil of terror, and a cattle herding ability with the simple issue of "hate the enemy" (whichever side of the fence you're on).

How can we (at least American citizens) come to find real answers to those questions? Maybe go to Iraq and ask some locals, which is, of course, terrifying. Government wins, again.

#292355 - 16/01/2007 01:08 Re: Bush address re: Iraq [Re: FireFox31]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Just watch this season of 24. It's topical and super realistic this time around.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2