Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#293732 - 22/05/2007 04:37 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: AndrewT]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
There is a 10 day period that is used to pick the best speed for the line, I would remove all wiring that doesn't need to be on the line, and leave it alone until the 10 days is up.

Cheers

Cris.

#293733 - 22/05/2007 09:47 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: Cris]
Rufus
new poster

Loc: Lancs UK
I believe the 10 days is only a guide as to when it should have settled down. If after 10 days you put more equipment/extensions back on the line and they cause any kind of interference then the line speed will re-adapt. I have had this happen and as a result now have no extensions just to get the speed up. I can't have my sky+ box connected either or I drop to 2 meg over a period of time from the 5 meg I get without sky connected. I've gone through all the suggestions of shortests cable not near any sources of interference ,changed filters etc etc, both Sky and BT have also been involved. I have just given up and disconnected it all.

Mark.

#293734 - 22/05/2007 10:09 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: Rufus]
tman
carpal tunnel

Sky digiboxes are notorious for screwing up the telephone line. Whatever softmodem is in them isn't very well designed.

My digibox has been disconnected for years now. I don't get PPV and I've only got 1 digibox.

#293735 - 22/05/2007 10:22 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: Rufus]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I think the 10 day period is more than just a recommendation, 10 days is the length of time that the exchange equipment is setup for to look for an initial stable line speed. I'm sure Cris will correct me if I'm wrong, he is a BT engineer afterall...

#293736 - 22/05/2007 10:28 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: andy]
tman
carpal tunnel

I thought it constantly checked the line? It averages it over a certain time period and then decides on your speed.

I know people that have had sudden speed drops which took a long time to go back up because they screwed up their line for a couple of days.

#293737 - 22/05/2007 10:38 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
You are right, it does check continuously, but there is also a point at the 10 day mark where BT record the line speed you have achieved and that is then used by them as a benchmark of what is a stable speed for your line if you have to complain of reduced lines speeds later.

http://aaisp.net.uk/maxmagic.html

So I was wrong, there isn't some magic 10 day period at which point the line monitoring changes, but the 10 day mark is still significant.

#293738 - 22/05/2007 12:41 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: tman]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I thought it constantly checked the line? It averages it over a certain time period and then decides on your speed.

With the xDSL folks here in Canada, there are two things that contribute to this.

First, is the assigned line profile, which is set by the loop provider (telco), and which gives an absolute upper limit on performance. Getting this changed is a difficult exercise in patience, and may have a fee associated with additional change requests. Apparently, end-users in Australia can use a web-based interface to adjust their own line profiles -- way to go!

Next, are the session-to-session negotiated tones between the two modems. These can vary over time according to current line conditions.

Edited by mlord (22/05/2007 12:42)

#293739 - 22/05/2007 13:58 Re: UK ADSL recommendations? [Re: mlord]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
First, is the assigned line profile, which is set by the loop provider (telco), and which gives an absolute upper limit on performance. Getting this changed is a difficult exercise in patience, and may have a fee associated with additional change requests. Apparently, end-users in Australia can use a web-based interface to adjust their own line profiles -- way to go!

BT will do this automatically for you over time. If your signal improves then they'll try to increase your cap. If it gets worse and you're constantly trying to resync then they'll lower your cap.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2