Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#295030 - 13/03/2007 13:43 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: mlord]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Bingo.... That makes sense. So when I have a 200A mains breaker, I should only be subtracting the 30A from it, not the 60A. even though there are 2 30A breakers. Counterintuitive, but it makes sense.

#295031 - 13/03/2007 15:24 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: lectric]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Bingo.... That makes sense. So when I have a 200A mains breaker, I should only be subtracting the 30A from it, not the 60A. even though there are 2 30A breakers. Counterintuitive, but it makes sense.

Yup. Where it gets somewhat funny, requiring the more detailed explanations above, is when you add a breaker for a 120VAC circuit.

Those generally only count for "half" against the main panel's 220VAC capacity of 200A.

EDIT: Or rather, each pair of 15A (or 20A or whatever) 120VAC circuits counts as a single unit against the panel capacity. So two 15A 120VAC circuits normally present only a 15A max load on the main panel, assuming one of them is on one leg of the 220VAC, and the second is on the other leg of the 220VAC (which is how "paired/ganged" breakers are normally installed).

-ml

Edited by mlord (13/03/2007 15:27)

#295032 - 13/03/2007 17:11 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: Neutrino]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I'm sorry to say but, yes, you should pull out the dryer and apply the de-oxidizing compound.

Okay... will do.

Quote:
As Mark suggests you should check the receptacle for an AL / CU marking.

Well, since I have to pull the dryer out, anyway. (Truthfully, I haven't tossed the bag the receptacle came in, yet, so I'm sure it's on there somewhere.) I think it's UL listed, but I can check when I get home.

Quote:
Lastly, please, go get the correct breaker. It is the one component that guards the rest of the system and places it in compliance with the code.

I did this last night -- or rather, I purchased it last night. I haven't had time to install it, yet. Hopefully tonight...

#363129 - 13/12/2014 13:26 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: canuckInOR]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I'm bringing this thread back up as I've just got a new washer/dryer installed (well mostly). In the cubby where they are installed there is just one of the three prong 30 amp style plugs (there was a combo unit in there previsouly that just needed one outlet). The dryer plugs into this just fine, but the washer requires a standard US grounded outlet.

I'll be getting an electrician to get a new outlet installed and to make sure that everything checks out. But I was wondering, can some sort of splitter be installed to break that one 30 amp outlet down to one for the dryer and a standard outlet for the washer? A quick internet search didn't bring me anything so I'm guessing that's a no for multiple reasons, but just curious if this was technically possible.

#363130 - 13/12/2014 14:45 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Technically possible? Absolutely: that 30A outlet has two 120V legs, neutral, and earth-ground. So yes, technically possible.

A Good Idea(tm) though? NO. Absolutely not.

The breaker and wiring for the dryer circuit are for 30A. The 120V outlet for the washer will be a 15A (or perhaps 20A) device -- so the available current (30A) would exceed that device's safety rating.

Various electical codes also forbid it -- the washer and dryer, like most permanent appliances, are typically each required to have their own, dedicated circuits.

Cheers

#363131 - 13/12/2014 14:54 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: mlord]
petteri
addict

Originally Posted By: mlord
Technically possible? Absolutely: that 30A outlet has two 120V legs, neutral, and earth-ground. So yes, technically possible.

A Good Idea(tm) though? NO. Absolutely not.

The breaker and wiring for the dryer circuit are for 30A. The 120V outlet for the washer will be a 15A (or perhaps 20A) device -- so the available current (30A) would exceed that device's safety rating.

Various electical codes also forbid it -- the washer and dryer, like most permanent appliances, are typically each required to have their own, dedicated circuits.

Cheers

Thanks for the info!

That's mostly what I had thought. I'll be getting it all wired up the correct way! On that note the outlet is currently a three prong type, I've read on-line (wikipedia!) that it's now considered an obsolete type and replaced by a four prong design. Is it worth it to have that swapped out as well? The installers helpfully left behind that type of cord.

Edited by petteri (13/12/2014 14:54)
Edit Reason: added thanks

#363132 - 13/12/2014 15:50 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Ahh.. if it's just 3-prong, then there's probably no neutral in the dryer outlet box after all -- so no 120V access there.

If it's working, leave it. Otherwise they might have to run new wiring to it for that fourth prong. Expensive.

EDIT: On the other hand, if/when the current dryer dies, the replacement will most likely demand a 4-prong outlet.. leaving you in the lurch until it gets rewired then.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (13/12/2014 15:52)

#363133 - 13/12/2014 16:02 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: mlord]
petteri
addict

Okay,

I'll see what the electrician finds when he opens up the panel. He may need to run additional wiring in any case as I need a second outlet in that kubby.

There is an outlet on the opposite side of that wall so I'm hopeful that the work entailed will be minimal. I just need to drag the damn washer/dryer out of there so they can access the area, that I hope is the bulk of the work involved.

Wishing that we just had a 220V setup as continental Europe right now, this would have all been plug and play!

#363134 - 14/12/2014 04:43 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: petteri]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted By: petteri

Wishing that we just had a 220V setup as continental Europe right now, this would have all been plug and play!

Or you might be faced with pretty much the same thing, single-phase vs three-phase... :-)

#363135 - 14/12/2014 11:28 Re: Home electrical wiring question... [Re: mtempsch]
petteri
addict

Originally Posted By: mtempsch
Originally Posted By: petteri

Or you might be faced with pretty much the same thing, single-phase vs three-phase... :-)

Oh leave me and my dreams of a European paradise alone! grin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2