Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#295644 - 22/03/2007 13:57 Re: SD Memory Card pricing puzzle [Re: tman]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Ahhh, gotcha. I see SD and think of ScanDisk for some reason

#295645 - 22/03/2007 23:57 Re: SD Memory Card pricing puzzle [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
size of 1YB (that is, a little over a quadrillion TB).

I shudder to think of the day when we're transferring YBs like e-mail attachment. "Darnit, my mail quota's too low. Give me more of those Yoda Bytes."

That's two orders of magnitude greater than the largest byte size I'd ever heard of. Someday, I'll laugh at that terrabyte SnapServer at work like a Bernoulli drive.

#295646 - 23/03/2007 23:56 Re: SD Memory Card pricing puzzle [Re: canuckInOR]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Once you start talking about online discount camera shopping, you have to be really cautious about who you buy from.

Boy, have I ever had an education during the past week about this!

I am becoming convinced that online discount camera store is synonymous with sleaze.

I found stores that want to charge me $70 to ship a three pound box, stores where the salesman called me a liar (Actual words: "You're lying to me.") when I informed him that I didn't want to buy his $139 spare battery because I had already purchased one the previous week for $6.95 on eBay, stores that offer the camera I want at an amazing low price, but if you investigate carefully and ask the right questions you find out that what you are getting is the bare camera -- no battery, no memory card, no battery charger, no camera strap, no software, no warranty, nothing but the bare camera. All of the pieces that come pre-packaged from the factory are removed, and sold separately as options at incredibly preposterous prices. I mean, prices like $139 for a $7 battery, $239 for a $12 memory card, $149 for a $14 filter.

I have finally seen the light, and realized that bargain shopping is not the way for me to shop for a camera. I picked a seller with an eBay store who is selling cameras for about $150 more than the bargain-basement sellers, but whose accessories are priced reasonably. I talked with the manager, and he agreed to ship the camera to Alaska for the same price he ships it in the continental US. He was actually happy to talk with me, even though he knew I wasn't going to buy anything today (because I called late and the sales department goes home early on Fridays) and he was willing to be flexible.

I'll be paying about $560 (with shipping) for a camera I had naively thought I would get for about $450. I guess it's really true -- you get what you pay for.

tanstaafl.

#295647 - 24/03/2007 15:40 Re: SD Memory Card pricing puzzle [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
What model did you get? Did you check Abe's? I wouldn't hesitate to buy another camera from Abe's. They're a good store.

*edit*
Sorry, just checked your initial post. Abe's appears to be selling it for $464. Did they strike you as sleazy when you talked to them?

#295648 - 24/03/2007 17:32 Re: SD Memory Card pricing puzzle [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well, if you trust a no-name brand of flash memory, today's Woot is a 4GB SD card for $25. I'm tempted, but I think I'll stick with a name I trust. I've already had one card go bad on me.

#295649 - 24/03/2007 17:41 Re: SD Memory Card pricing puzzle [Re: Dignan]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Well, if you trust a no-name brand of flash memory, today's Woot is a 4GB SD card for $25. I'm tempted, but I think I'll stick with a name I trust. I've already had one card go bad on me.

Hm. Can't find out much about this card. Their website, Connect3d tells you very little.

This looks like a standard SD card, not an SDHC - so Tony, it may work with your camera. I believe that this manufacturer is using this trick (from Wikipedia) to get 4GB in an SD card (although it only talks about 2GB...):

"To make 2GByte card, the Maximum Block Length (READ_BL_LEN=WRITE_BL_LEN) shall be set to 1024 bytes. However, the Block Length, set by CMD16, shall be up to 512 bytes to keep consistency with 512 bytes Maximum Block Length cards (Less than and equal 2GByte cards)."

That trick also appears to make compatibility an issue...

I dunno about that brand. I just bought a 2GB A-Data card (Turbo line - they claim 150x speed) for my camera for 30 bucks from Newegg. The Woot is a good deal, but the brand is still dubious, IMHO...

- Jon

#295650 - 25/03/2007 00:57 Re: SD Memory Card pricing puzzle [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Did you check Abe's? I wouldn't hesitate to buy another camera from Abe's. They're a good store.

Abe's appears to be selling it for $464. Did they strike you as sleazy when you talked to them?

Abe's is not one of the stores I talked to.

The $560 price I am working from is a package deal -- $520 for the FZ50 with the standard equipment: 32 MB card, 710 MAH lithium ion battery, USB cable, A/V cable, lens cap, software CDs, and lens hood. Then, they throw in an accessory kit at no additional charge: Wide angle lens attachment, 2 GB high speed card, a card reader, camera carrying case, 60" tripod, lens cleaning kit. Finally, $40 shipping to make the $560 total.

Possibly I could do better by shopping for all the various bits and pieces at various different places, but I am so tired of this whole rat race that I have reached the point where I just don't care any more. Just gimme the damn camera and if I spend $50 more than the best deal I could have gotten, so be it. (If I bought the camera at Abe's and then purchased the accessories listed above from Abe's, it would actually cost me more than $560.)

The camera itself seems pretty impressive. Read the review at dpreview. Of course maybe I don't know as much about photography (particularly digital photography) as I like to think I do and there may be bad things I didn't see through my rose-colored classes. I haven't ordered the camera yet, so if anybody knows some reason(s) I shouldn't, this would be a good time to let me know!

tanstaafl.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2