Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#29569 - 16/04/2001 19:22 Ogg Vorbis support
Blackknight
new poster

Loc: Fort Huachuca, AZ
I would like to buy an empeg, but I need vorbis support first. Are there any plans to include it?

#29570 - 16/04/2001 21:50 Re: Ogg Vorbis support [Re: Blackknight]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you know of a Vorbis player that's open-source and runs in integer-only (no FPU) under Linux on an ARM processor, let us know.

As it stands right now, Vorbis is not one of the supported file formats. There have been a lot of good things said about the format, but before the empeg folks can work on including it, they need a decoder that meets the above requirements, and they need it to be a "popular enough" file format to make it worth their time to include it.

Personally, after reading the things I've heard about it, it sounds like a really good file format and I'd like to see it supported on the Empeg as well. I'd probably even go to the trouble of re-encoding my collection in that format, since the tests I've read say that it has the fewest artifacts.

Of course, there are no other portable/car players that support Vorbis, either (as far as I know), so if they did add it to the empeg, they'd probably be the first.

#29571 - 16/04/2001 23:58 Re: Ogg Vorbis support [Re: tfabris]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
I know there were at least two groups working on this a few months ago, but I have lost their email addresses. Maybe they are done by now.

Sean