Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#297339 - 19/04/2007 21:41 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: sein]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I'll give the full Acrobat a couple props over PrimoPDF. It plugs itself into Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and does a couple things better than the printer drivers. It will notice URLs and the the resulting PDF will be hyperlinked. It will also notice "goto" buttons in PowerPoint, along with some slide transitions, and reflect those into the PDF as well. Most importantly, you get corner-to-corner PDF from your PowerPoint, versus the apparently inescapable half-inch white margin that you get through the normal printer drivers.

Of course, for a student submitting something to a professor, PrimoPDF would be just fine.

#297340 - 19/04/2007 22:11 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
the apparently inescapable half-inch white margin that you get through the normal printer drivers.

I find that this is usually an application-specific option, usually under File->Page Setup or similar. Of course, it's possible that this is an application-specific constant for PowerPoint (I don't have PP available here) instead of a variable.

#297341 - 19/04/2007 22:27 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
I'll give the full Acrobat a couple props over PrimoPDF. It plugs itself into Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and does a couple things better than the printer drivers. It will notice URLs and the the resulting PDF will be hyperlinked. It will also notice "goto" buttons in PowerPoint, along with some slide transitions, and reflect those into the PDF as well. Most importantly, you get corner-to-corner PDF from your PowerPoint, versus the apparently inescapable half-inch white margin that you get through the normal printer drivers.

Incidentally, you know what else does a really good job of translating Office docs into PDFs? OpenOffice. Including links in the documents, PPT buttons, transitions, and corner-to-corner rendering. File->Export as PDF instead of File->Save as, though. You can export as Flash, too, which is pretty neat, albeit with fewer features.

Edited by wfaulk (19/04/2007 22:31)

#297342 - 20/04/2007 03:26 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: tfabris]
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:
I'm sorry for implying that she wasn't intelligent because she couldn't work PowerPoint.

Apology Accepted.

Quote:
I was kinda going for a separate rant about how education in this country is frequently sub-par, and that I know a lot of really dumb people with degrees.

Ditto.

Quote:
With that said... as part of the steps towards the master's degree, she's taking a course where creating powerpoint files is a requirement of the course? I would assume that one of the prerequisites of the course is computer proficiency, then? Or that it's at least assumed if the normal procedure for this college's courses is to submit assignments as computer files?

Well, with a Speech Therapist Degree, I don't think a computer proficiency course is required, unfortunately. I could be wrong. I would say that it's more of an assumption than anything. But you know what they say about people who assume? It makes an ASS out of U and ME. Don't get me wrong, I agree that she should know more about Micro$oft Office than she does but as your previous statement suggests, I think our educational system does a very poor job of preparing people properly.

Quote:
It's true that I couldn't replace a car engine, but then again, I'm not going for a master's degree where one of the courses requires proficiency in auto mechanics.

"Class, today's assignment is to create a CAD drawing showing the schematics of a Ford Pinto. Please email me your CAD drawings by the end of the week."

#297343 - 20/04/2007 03:38 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: russmeister]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Please email me your CAD drawings by the end of the week."

The disarray and confusion that exist for CAD formats make these Office upgrade discussions seem absolutely trivial.
I'm betting that's your point.

#297344 - 20/04/2007 05:06 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: mlord]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
Quote:
That's why you can download PowerPoint Viewer for free.

I wonder if that teaser permits the professor to do mark-ups and corrections ?

Cheers

I was looking for that (the viewer) just a few days ago. It's just that a viewer only. Display the presentation, page back and forth, goto a specific page, nothing else.

I'm going to be using it for future presentations. I've always thought it awkward seeing sombody fumbling around in full PP in the middle of a presentation.

#297345 - 20/04/2007 10:53 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: gbeer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's why you can download PowerPoint Viewer for free.

I wonder if that teaser permits the professor to do mark-ups and corrections ?

Cheers

I was looking for that (the viewer) just a few days ago. It's just that a viewer only. Display the presentation, page back and forth, goto a specific page, nothing else.

I'm going to be using it for future presentations. I've always thought it awkward seeing sombody fumbling around in full PP in the middle of a presentation.

You probably know this already, but if you have the full PowerPoint program, you don't need to open it or download the viewer. Just right-click on any PPT file and click on "Show."

#297346 - 20/04/2007 12:16 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: gbeer]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:

My company converts the slide shows into PDFs for big design reviews. It solves the issue of fumbling with PP, and makes it easy to provide binders with the presentation to the participants/audience. It also allows us to provide a DVD with the presentations with no worry about something getting edited and causing all kinds of trouble.

#297347 - 20/04/2007 12:30 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: robricc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I just wanted to chime in about PDF... I don't use Acrobat to create PDF. It *can* create garbage where other tools won't. Normally with current document creation programs there will be some PDF option for saving already, so I use that. Adobe's software implements this in different ways for every application. To rework that PDF it's preferrable in my opinion to use free or other third-party tools which may work on their own or in conjunction with Acrobat.

My latest was taking a single 2.75" x 6" ticket I designed and laying it up 3x2 onto a taboid sheet (11"x17") - using Acrobat as many people suggested means telling it to print to its own driver with settings that N-Up the output as desired. What this did to the underlying artwork wasn't immeidately visible, but it sliced it all up into little puzzle pieces. This produced some spots where registration (of the pieces) was off and you could see either gaps or overlappy edges. Not nice.

I don't want to hijack this thread into an Adobe topic, because for the most part I think their software (all of it) is far less stable and well designed than MIcrosoft's (or anyone else's). I still use it, but I don't like it.

#297348 - 21/04/2007 01:22 Re: Professor's Requests [Re: russmeister]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Office 2007 can save in "compatibility mode" which will open in 2003, 2000, and previous. Save as .PPT instead of .PPTX. This discussion is pointless.

Everyone using 2007 should be saving in compatibility mode. Every computing administrator should find a way to make that the default for every machine they administer.

When distributing a Microsoft Office document for viewing (not editing), it should be saved as a PDF. Period. Every computing administrator should train their users to do this.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3