Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#297601 - 25/04/2007 02:13 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: tonyc]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
So, tell me, which views are the fucked up ones, and which are the "normal" ones? Can a "fucked up" person have relations with a "normal" person?

You know, honestly I think the "fücked up" views are anything contrary to one's own. And I think it's very hard for any of us to have a relationship with those who possess views we find "fücked up". For instance (from a conversation some of my friends and I had the other night, and I KNOW I'm gonna hear it on this), I have no problem with incest, WHEN IT'S CONSENSUAL. As in brother and sister both of age. Do I find it repulsive? Yeah. But hey, I'm not the one doing it. But far be it for me to judge what people should or should not do. Granted, there's the question of "flipper babies" in that situation, but that's another discussion.

So please, let's remember: Dave is not into incest. Dave does not support incestuous molestation. Dave is grossed out by family members doin' it. Dave feels it is not his place to tell those family members not to do that.

#297602 - 25/04/2007 03:36 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: tonyc]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
I agree with and support tonyc's edit.

I had a whole bunch of other stuff typed here about censorship and intentional community division and yelling fire in a theater but lost it to the forum monster and don't want to bother trying to get it back.

#297603 - 25/04/2007 05:53 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's so easy to get under you guys' skin. Lighten up!

Drakino, I'm glad we settled things through PM. It's your site, so I'll let you call the shots. I think this article is relevant:
Create an e-annoyance, go to jail

Quote:
President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages

The annoy police are going to get us all!!!11

The truth is -- this thread wasn't about retards. It was an experimental foray into social dynamics. How can one person, with seemingly innocent comments, cause such an uproar of divisiveness? Isn't this what is being done today in our country on a much larger scale?

A nation divided is a nation conquered. We have become politically polarized, perhaps purposefully manipulated so, by petty, unimportant issues. The ultimate result is chaos and -to quell the chaos- authoritarian rule. We're chasing ghosts, always pissed off at an imaginary enemy.

We should set aside our petty differences and stand together as Americans, nay, as fellow human beings, in the same way that we, here, will always be united as fellow empeggers.

I suggest we start a new thread and take the things we learn from micro societies such as this, and such as in the movie Das Experiment, and discuss how they can be applied to the world society at large. I would be very interested in hearing the opinions of many of the very intelligent people that post here.

Experiment mode = off. Feel free to discuss freely. Because deep down, I know that we're all friends here, and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about.

#297604 - 25/04/2007 06:26 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: webroach]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Quote:
Secondly, I've also had several encouraging private messages of support, so I suppose it evens out.

I would encourage those members to voice their support in the open forum.

I haven't PM'd Billy, but I'm happy to voice my support in the open forum. I find the editing of Billy's post to be more distasteful than the "nailing" remark that it removed. I agree with Billy that avoidance of debate, whether or not it's described as "avoidance of flame-wars", should be a non-goal in forums such as this, just as it should be in wider society.

Peter

#297605 - 25/04/2007 08:41 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: ]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Quote:
deep down, I know that we're all friends here

Hmmm.

As a forum admin myself I'd say that editing any post is a bad idea, either remove it to the mods area pending further action or let it ride. Billy has a history of being provocative, in some cases extremely insulting but editing his posts isn't going to make him a "good citizen" (even if that's a desirable goal).

#297606 - 25/04/2007 12:19 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: tahir]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
If this were simply a case of someone just being a troll then I would be on the same side as the naysayers in this. However, it's a bit deeper than that.

The ball is in drakino's court.

#297607 - 25/04/2007 12:32 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: RobotCaleb]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The only question I have is whether there is any way to have the "Ignore User" feature also ignore all replies to threads started by that user.

Rob

#297608 - 25/04/2007 13:10 Re: Down Syndrome [Re: rob]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah, I wish that was a feature, too. That's at least one way in which usenet is better than web boards: client choice.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2