Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#298152 - 08/05/2007 13:05 USB security (software)
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I've not described that very well but is there a piece of software (cheaper the better) that I can install on a USB stick, that won't allow the pc to get into windows without the stick being plugged in?

My PC at work keeps being accessed by 3rd parties at lunchtime and half-days etc- but the way its setup means they can access my desktop/email/files/internet with their login. I don't like it.

#298153 - 08/05/2007 13:15 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I just did a quick google search for 'USB login control' and it seems to be finding interesting software.

#298154 - 08/05/2007 13:24 Re: USB security (software) [Re: Attack]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Thanks - my Google skills were weak.

#298155 - 08/05/2007 13:56 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Set the internal drive up as non-bootable, and then install the bootloader onto a flash stick. Without the flash stick, the PC won't boot. With the flash stick, it will boot, and the bootloader will then redirect things back to the hard disk. Simple, and probably good enough for this problem.

EDIT: or use the system/user passwords in the BIOS, assuming a very recent model machine here..

-ml

Edited by mlord (08/05/2007 13:57)

#298156 - 08/05/2007 15:07 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
but the way its setup means they can access my desktop/email/files/internet with their login. I don't like it.

That seems to be the root of your problem. All modern operating systems have the ability for multiple users to log on, without being able to access the private data of the other users. It's not difficult to set up and get working.

It's not 100 percent, but it keeps out casual snoopers.

#298157 - 08/05/2007 17:36 Re: USB security (software) [Re: mlord]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Thanks Mark, nice simple idea there!

#298158 - 08/05/2007 17:38 Re: USB security (software) [Re: tfabris]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Quote:
Quote:
but the way its setup means they can access my desktop/email/files/internet with their login. I don't like it.

That seems to be the root of your problem. All modern operating systems have the ability for multiple users to log on, without being able to access the private data of the other users. It's not difficult to set up and get working.

Its quite a large organisation (NHS) and the request was denied for whatever reason Its not even as if my pc is a shared one - it contains private/confidential data. I lock it when I'm away but people just turn it off!

#298159 - 08/05/2007 18:22 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tman
carpal tunnel

Are you allowed to install this extra software on your PC though?

#298160 - 08/05/2007 18:51 Re: USB security (software) [Re: tman]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Nothing is locked down. Its totally open. Worryingly.

Or are you asking "am I allowed?". I don't care if I am or not - I don't like leaving my files and Internet connection free to whoever decides they want to download something dodgy.

#298161 - 08/05/2007 19:01 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Its quite a large organisation (NHS) and the request was denied for whatever reason Its not even as if my pc is a shared one - it contains private/confidential data. I lock it when I'm away but people just turn it off!

That's actually quite worrying. Can't you make a stink about the DPA and/or this and demand that the PC be kept more secure?

Peter

#298162 - 08/05/2007 19:05 Re: USB security (software) [Re: peter]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I've mentioned it to line management but nothing happens so I figure I'll do it myself. Its a sad day when it comes to that, isn't it

#298163 - 08/05/2007 19:09 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Well, seeing as it's theoretically a "trusted environment" you could go for security through obscurity. Ever wanted to learn the dvorak keyboard layout? Perhaps a keyboard with no labels at all would be helpful. Or perhaps a KVM switch hidden behind the computer, without the monitor going through it. Press the key combination before you leave, and they can type all they want but it won't go through to your computer.

All of this is easily bypassed if the person cares enough, so it's really only good if there are other computers around they can use instead. Most solutions are going to work with windows' login process, so if you have limited rights on the computer it's going to be hard to find a solution that works for you. Are you sure you don't have the ability to modify the permissions on your own files?

Matthew

#298164 - 08/05/2007 19:46 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Could you explain the current situation better, please?

You claim that you have separate logins, but no security. That would imply that you need to prevent them from logging in. The obvious solution is to lock your screen when you leave rather than logging out, but that's so obvious that there must be a reason you can't do that.

You also say "allow the pc to get into windows", implying that maybe it's being turned off, as the only time the PC "gets into Windows" is when it boots. If that's the case, check your PC's BIOS to see if allows you to set a BIOS password. Many modern PCs do. If so, use that.

There are systems that allow you to connect and disconnect the hard drive with a key, but somehow I doubt reconfiguring hardware is within the realm of things that you're allowed to do.

You could look at a fingerprint reader. I'm sure that the software that comes with them will allow you to configure it so that a fingerprint is required for login.

#298165 - 09/05/2007 07:25 Re: USB security (software) [Re: wfaulk]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
He mentioned that people just switch it off and back on again, which would defeat locking the login. It seems that people log in using a centrally managed username/password, but see the files on the system's drive.

Phil, do you know who is using it, can you ask them to not use it? Or maybe put a piece of paper on it with a note asking people to find another computer?

#298166 - 09/05/2007 14:09 Re: USB security (software) [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Or are you asking "am I allowed?". I don't care if I am or not - I don't like leaving my files and Internet connection free to whoever decides they want to download something dodgy.

That is the thing. It isn't your PC. Most places don't like people installing unauthorised software as well. Especially something which will restrict access to it. What if you're on holiday and somebody needs to use the PC? Or somebody needs to install a patch?

You can't install software on the PCs here but if you could, I'd be really pissed off if a user decided to restrict access to "their" PC.

Keep your personal files on a USB drive as you appear to be able to use those. Can't do much else about it.