Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#298323 - 11/05/2007 00:34 weird Kubuntu problem
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Hi.

I have just reinstalled one of my development machines with Kubuntu 7.04, and as usual whenever I change versions on Linux, I'm having all sorts of annoying problems with things that now work differently. The one that is really causing a headache is that bash seems to be broken. If I use the 'set' command with no arguments to get a list of the environment variables, it instead prints a huge amount of source code to something! IE,

command_not_found_handle ()
{
/usr/bin/command-not-found $1;
return $?
}
installed_alternatives ()
{
local admindir;
for i in alternatives dpkg/alternatives rpm/alternatives;
do
[ -d /var/lib/$i ] && admindir=/var/lib/$i && break;
done;
for ((i=1; i < COMP_CWORD; i++ ))
do
if [[ "${COMP_WORDS[ i]}" == --admindir ]]; then
admindir=${COMP_WORDS[i+1]};
break;
fi;
done;
COMPREPLY=($( command ls $admindir | grep "^$cur" ))
}

This is just the last few lines, there's reams of it. Alternative shells such as dash work correctly, and bash certainly used to work on 6.10. Oddly, /bin/sh which is symbolically linked to /bin/bash DOES work, while /bin/bash run directly doesn't. Any ideas?

pca

#298324 - 11/05/2007 01:26 Re: weird Kubuntu problem [Re: pca]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
That output is normal. It's just showing some macros that have been defined "for you" by some package, so that if you enter a command that's not installed it will tell you which package is missing and how to install it.

The variables were probably scrolled off the top of the window -- just scroll backwards to look for them.

My biggest complaint is that many of my #!/bin/sh shell scripts no longer work correctly until I edit the top line to instead read as #!/bin/bash

Getting suspend/resume to work quickly/correctly took a bit of fiddling as well, but we seem to have it under control again now.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (11/05/2007 01:27)