Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#299962 - 28/06/2007 04:49 How cool is this? WTWTA
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin

Attachments
300967-062107_wildthingsare_big.jpg (53 downloads)

#299963 - 28/06/2007 10:53 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, saw that on AICN yesterday. I'm optimistic that Spike Jonze will do a good job, though I'm worried about how they'll stretch it out to a full film and still keep the feel of the book.

But overall, MTV's films are extremely hit or miss, and this looks like it has all the potential of being the former.

Oh, and what's next? "The Giving Tree"?

#299964 - 28/06/2007 12:50 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: Dignan]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:

Harold and the Purple Crayon FTW!!

or maybe The Great Brain!

#299965 - 28/06/2007 12:51 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: Dignan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:

"The Giving Tree" is the most horrifically depressing and disturbing thing I've ever read. Its thesis appears to be that life consists of unremitting, thankless, self-destructive personal sacrifice in pursuit of the trivial, shallow goals of another, leavened only after your death by the thought that you've, for five minutes, caused someone a brief comfort (not even, really, happiness).

Amazon recommended it to me as something for my young sort-of-god-daughter's birthday, and I'm so glad I flicked through a copy in a bricks-and-mortar bookshop first to check it over -- I was near-suicidal by the end of it. And people read it to kids?

Peter

#299966 - 28/06/2007 13:17 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Given that it's Shel Silverstein, I wouldn't make the assumption that you should take it at face value. That doesn't mean that people don't, though. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Shel intended it to be read both ironically and not ironically, depending on his and the reader's mood.

#299967 - 28/06/2007 14:01 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Given that it's Shel Silverstein, I wouldn't make the assumption that you should take it at face value. That doesn't mean that people don't, though.

OK, I hadn't come across the author in any other context, so I had a look at Wikipedia and it turns out that, as well as other children's books, he has also written an adult parody of a child's A-Z. But if The Giving Tree were intended as parody, as a sort of Happy Tree Friends but with psychological damage instead of gore, it's certainly not marketed like that -- it's marketed as a straight-up-and-down small child's picture-book, and most of the Amazon reviews (and all the reviews quoted on the book itself) rather alarmingly describe it as heartwarming, touching, etc. without any apparent ironic intent.

Peter

#299968 - 28/06/2007 14:52 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: peter]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Hmm- ok, my first post was mainly in response to the WTWTA production and not specifically to The Giving Tree- a story I've never read or heard of.
Your comments have led me to Wikipedia's entry, and now the irony in Dignan's comment is much clearer to me.

It seems that The Giving Tree (story) has the ability to spark discussion and yield a variety meanings and viewpoints. So what is the problem with that? THAT'S GREAT! That's one of the best things about art in general, IMO. I know I may sound like I'm arguing against a stand that has not (in this thread) been taken, so please, nobody get offended or in a huff.
I'd just like to say that a production of The Giving Tree could be as great at promoting thought and discussion as something like, say, The Cube.

Besides, I think that kids are much more clever and deeper than most people think and can examine a morality play for its variety of viewpoints. I imagine a world where all the 'children's stories' are black and white would be quite bland and certainly not true to life.

Again- not going off on a rant or arguing against anyone here- just clarifying some thoughts in my head.

#299969 - 28/06/2007 14:57 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I agree, and it's always been marketed that way. But I wouldn't put it past him to have ignored that all along.

I'm not saying that that's the way he intended it. I have no idea. But it might have been.

BTW, Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book is hysterical.

#299970 - 28/06/2007 19:20 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: Robotic]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Besides, I think that kids are much more clever and deeper than most people think and can examine a morality play for its variety of viewpoints. I imagine a world where all the 'children's stories' are black and white would be quite bland and certainly not true to life.

How true. Children's entertainment these days worries me, as does the over-protective stance that many parents take. I understand that I can't speak from experience, and I may feel completely different when I have a child, but I am thankful for the wide variety of viewpoints and issues that I was exposed to when I was little.

Silverstein's books (like Where the Sidewalk Ends) are fantastic. I highly recommend them. I'm surprised there are so many people already responding to this thread who are so unfamiliar with him. He was really big when I was growing up.

#299971 - 28/06/2007 21:29 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: Dignan]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.

#299972 - 29/06/2007 07:17 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: Robotic]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
Harold and the Purple Crayon FTW!!

Spike Jonze was actually attached to a film adaptation of Harold at one point. Alas, it never came to pass.

#299973 - 30/06/2007 00:09 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: peter]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
As a young child, I somehow crossed paths with Baaa. It's a children's book about the self destructive avarice and exploitation of the human race, ending (an starting) with their harrowingly void demise. This was likely the birth of my vast cynicism and I forever curse and praise this book. Go ahead, read it at Amazon.

I didn't see that in The Giving Tree. I guess the point is, that giving those five minutes of luke warm comfort is really worth taking a beating for.

Now I want to dust off my old Silverstein books to check some of my old favorites. "Sara Cynthia Silva Soudt, would not take the garbage out." And that one about turning into a TV.

Good find l0ser. I'm hopeful, after how well they did Bridge to Terabithia. But Matt, what do you mean about MTV films? Please tell me they aren't getting their hands into this.

#299974 - 01/07/2007 20:55 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: FireFox31]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I was mistaken. I thought MTV was involved at some point, but they're not.

I've wanted to see Bridge to Terabithia badly. I wanted to see it in the theaters, but nobody I knew wanted to go, because nobody I knew had read the book (to my surprise). It had a big impact on me in the 4th grade.

#299975 - 25/09/2007 11:56 Re: How cool is this? WTWTA [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel