Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#300815 - 20/07/2007 20:02 RC Cars
visuvius
addict

Is anyone into this hobby? I know a couple people here have dabbled in planes and helicopters, but what about cars? I want to get into indoor electric cars and I'm looking for suggestions. Not sure if I should go with the ready-to-runs or if I should get a kit.

#300816 - 20/07/2007 20:35 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
What kind of track on road / off road, dirt / carpet ?

I have several off road electrics. With those I always got the kits just because they include crappy electronics with the ready to run setups and it's fun putting them together

Matt

#300817 - 20/07/2007 21:00 Re: RC Cars [Re: msaeger]
visuvius
addict

I'd like to race indoors on carpet. However, since there probably aren't too many indoor tracks, I'll be on parking lots a lot too I imagine, especially for practice. Eventually I'd like to get into offroad buggies.

I'm looking at the Team Associated TC4 ready to run. From what I've been reading though, the RTR versions come with crappy parts, but the kits can cost significantly more. Also, if I do get a kit, am I going to be lost when putting it together?

#300818 - 20/07/2007 22:24 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I my favorite so far has been my RC10B4. I got the team kit that comes with all the pretty titanium and carbon fiber stuff

The kits are not very hard to assemble nothing like building a plane because if you mess up you can just take it apart and redo it because everything is screwed together.

You are going to have to take it apart and put it back together many times over anyway for repairs and maintenance.

They give step by step instructions with too. I believe team associated has them to download on their website.

Have you went to any hobby shops and asked about local racing ?

Matt

#300819 - 21/07/2007 01:04 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Also, if I do get a kit, am I going to be lost when putting it together?

If you get into the "off road" units, you *must* use a kit. Because it's the only way to learn how to reassemble/fix it when it gets broken (often).

I sold my kit off a few years back, but it was amazing fun in its time!

Cheers!

#300820 - 21/07/2007 01:54 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
I have a couple of cars.

Associated RC18B, great little RTR mini car.. I drive it around the carpet and parking lot at work. I replaced the stock RX because the AM radio it comes with is garbage..

Do not buy an AM radio.. it's just not worth it.

Personally, if I were to get it again, I would go with a Spectrum setup.

I also have an RC10T4 Factory.. brushless motor, steel gear servo, NiMH packs.. the thing is a rocket.. with street slicks I can chase cars around 35-40mph.

For someone who wants to race indoors, but might also take it outside, I would get the RC10 TC4 or TC5 kit. It's a good balance of on-road for carpet, but touring for handling a few bumps. 4WD is awesome for doing power slides.

#300821 - 23/07/2007 14:00 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
When I was a teen, my father got me a kit. It turned into a great father and son project that we spent a bunch of time on together. I don't remember the model number, but it was made by a company called Tamiya and the name of the car was "The Frog". I would do it again.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#300822 - 23/07/2007 21:27 Re: RC Cars [Re: bbowman]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Matt

#300823 - 25/07/2007 19:09 Re: RC Cars [Re: msaeger]
visuvius
addict

Well I got back from my mini vacation this weekend and picked up a Team Associated TC4 RTR. Its got a 15 turn motor and everything ready right out of the box. I also picked up a couple 3000 mah batteries and a charger. I found the car to be pretty darn fast out of the box. I've probably put about an hour on it so far and luckily I've had no crashes.

Quote:
Have you went to any hobby shops and asked about local racing ?

I did and unfortunately, in my area there isn't much going on in the way of organized events (Orange County). There is however a place called So Cal Raceway not too far that has both a dirt and carpet track and they have offroad races once a week. The Touring cars don't seem to be as popular for races around here. I'm looking forward to practicing on their carpet because all the pebbles in the parking lots freak me out.

Quote:
f you get into the "off road" units, you *must* use a kit. Because it's the only way to learn how to reassemble/fix it when it gets broken (often).

I'm definitely going to get an off road car as well. If I get it new I'll probably follow your advice and get a kit because after seeing the instructions for the RTR I bought, I think putting it together will be doable.

Quote:
Do not buy an AM radio.. it's just not worth it.

The TC4 RTR comes with an AM radio. Everyone is telling me that its crap and I'm sure I'll realize its limitations soon enough, but it hasn't given me any problems thus far. If I find a good deal on an FM receiver though I'll probably pick it up.

Now I'm looking at the upgrades. A little confusing what to go with as there are about a million upgrades for each car and everyone has a different opinion. I think I'm going to look for a used brushless system on eBay as I don't feel like dropping $250 on a motor at the local hobby shop. Some of these things go ridiculously fast. With the right combination, apparently you can hit 70 mph. Nuts!

#300824 - 25/07/2007 19:47 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

The problem I had with am radios was there are so few channels I would have a hard time getting one at the track and would have to wait. I never had a performance problem or anything.

Matt

#300825 - 26/07/2007 03:46 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
I did and unfortunately, in my area there isn't much going on in the way of organized events (Orange County). There is however a place called So Cal Raceway not too far that has both a dirt and carpet track and they have offroad races once a week. The Touring cars don't seem to be as popular for races around here. I'm looking forward to practicing on their carpet because all the pebbles in the parking lots freak me out.

Rocks aren't so bad compared to carpet fuzz twisted into the rotating bits.

#300826 - 26/07/2007 14:44 Re: RC Cars [Re: visuvius]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
This thread reminds me of the fun I had with my Associated RC12e!
I had installed the Reedy Modified motor and rear differential! Hot stuff, back in the day.
It's probably in a box in a closet somewhere around here...
The NiCads are definitely toast after, what, nearly 30 years of sitting?

I am old. old old ollllld.

quick edit:
OMG- googling is so much fun!

Now that is Old School!

Edited by Robotic (26/07/2007 14:47)