Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301300 - 04/08/2007 20:52 All id Software game titles now available on Steam
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Here is Steam's news release; every title id released to date is available for download.

I must admit that I already own copies of most of them (see full list below) but you can buy the id super pack (22 titles/addons) for $63USD. I think it's worth that just to have everything available for download via Steam rather than having to remember where the original media is.

Quote:
id GAMES on Steam
• Commander Keen, Episodes 1 through 5
• Wolfenstein 3D
• Spear of Destiny
• Return to Castle Wolfenstein
• Ultimate DOOM
• DOOM II
• Final DOOM
• DOOM3
• DOOM3: Resurrection of Evil
• QUAKE
• QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
• QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
• QUAKE II
• QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning
• QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
• QUAKE III Arena
• QUAKE III: Team Arena
• Heretic
• Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
• HeXen
• HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
• HeXen II

id PACKAGES on Steam
• DOOM 3 Pack: Includes DOOM 3 and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
• QUAKE III Pack: Includes QUAKE III Arena and QUAKE III: Team Arena
• Wolf Pack: Includes Wolf 3D, Spear of Destiny and Return to Castle Wolfenstein
• DOOM Pack Complete: Includes all DOOM games released by id
• QUAKE Pack: Includes all 8 QUAKE Titles available on Steam
• Heretic\HeXen Pack: Includes Heretic, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, HeXen II
• Id Super Pack: Every id game on Steam

Select packages are 10% off until August 10.

#301301 - 04/08/2007 21:44 Re: All id Software game titles now available on Steam [Re: AndrewT]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, all except Quake 4.

Is that considered an id Software title since a third-party house actually made it?

#301302 - 05/08/2007 03:52 Re: All id Software game titles now available on Steam [Re: AndrewT]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Kinda cool. Looking at the list, I bought most of em too, and in retrospect, most of them are basically the same, just with better graphics each time. Although the chicken in Hexen was fun!

#301303 - 05/08/2007 13:21 Re: All id Software game titles now available on Steam [Re: lectric]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Heh - downloading them all now:-)

Ahhh - the memories!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#301304 - 05/08/2007 13:26 Re: All id Software game titles now available on Steam [Re: AndrewT]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Back in the day (1994?), Quake 1 came out on CD. The disc contained the playable demo (since its few megabytes were overwhelming to download via 14.4kbps modems of the day). However, the disc also contained demos and full versions of nearly all id software games at the time.

The full versions of the games could be unlocked by purchasing a license key by phone. Sure enough, about 32 seconds after release, a crack came out to unlock the entire disc.

All popular id software games for the $5 cost of a shareware CD. Though, upon cursory check, I can't find that disc now...

#301305 - 05/08/2007 20:33 Re: All id Software game titles now available on Steam [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Raven and id both made Quake 4. While Raven did most of the content work and does engine level work, id was also doing game specific work for it. A similar situation exists for Enemy Territories Quake Wars with Splash Damage doing most of the heavy work, but id also helping out.

I'm sure Quake 4 will likely come to Steam at some point as well, and newer releases might come out at the same time on both physical media and Steam downloads.

Ironically, Steam wasn't working for the majority of the Quakecon attendees from the BYOC area, so for those of us at the event, we couldn't buy it, or even log in to look. Offline mode once again proves how not so offline it is. Maybe now with id also putting their stuff on Steam, Valve might work out a proper LAN party solution for Steam since id throws one of the larger parties.

#301306 - 06/08/2007 15:03 Re: All id Software game titles now available on Steam [Re: AndrewT]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I just wish they would make steam for linux since that is my only platform (which works great for gaming) Sure, wine kinda works, but it still has its issues.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV