Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#301348 - 07/08/2007 01:46 Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting
touchstone
new poster

Anyone missing an empeg in Chicagoland? I saw this post on Craigslist and it just struck me as odd... The best case is someone's just trying to sell his empeg at an ungodly markup, and it goes downhill from there.

Code:

Rio Empeg In Dash MP3 Player 80 Gig - $1000
Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2007-08-06, 1:30PM CDT

Up for sale is a custom 80 Gig Empeg player. This player is the best thing you can buy for your car if you have a large music collection.
They weren't available in 80 gig sizes but I upgraded mine. For more info on the player goto www.riocar.org. Unit is also a pullout
so you can use it in your home with a set of RCA cables. The unit is not self powered so you will need amps to run this in your car.
Mine was hooked up to a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. I also have some amps and speakers for sale if you are interested.
This is a cash only situation and we will have to meet somewhere so you can pick the unit up.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I hope mine's still in the car tomorrow morning...

#301349 - 07/08/2007 03:27 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: touchstone]
spider

Yeah the cash only part seems odd, but the way he describes the unit it sounds like he owned it from new. either that or he knew the person he stole it from

as far as the price, I know I wouldn't part with mine for less than a g-note.

#301350 - 07/08/2007 11:38 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: touchstone]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Sounds innocent enough. Cash-only is pretty standard for any sales of used goods in the real world. I even employ such when dealing a used vehicle.

Cheers

#301351 - 10/08/2007 02:33 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: touchstone]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Respond by email and say you might be interested and ask for a phone number you can call. If he wants your phone number for contact, but won't give you his, then fishy. If you get a phone number but there's a juke box playing in the background when he picks up and you hear the distinctive sound of a pool cue breaking over somebody's head, also fishy.

Other than that, cash-only on CL is pretty standard, at least for me. Take a check from somebody I've never met? Ain't gonna happen. Been there, bounced that.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#301352 - 10/08/2007 11:42 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: jimhogan]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Respond by email and say you might be interested and ask for a phone number you can call. If he wants your phone number for contact, but won't give you his

Again, it might sound weird, but that is actually a perfectly normal way of managing an exchange without either party having to publicly post their telephone number (which could then be traced back to a residence by less trustworthy observers).

Cheers

#301353 - 10/08/2007 23:09 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: mlord]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
Quote:
Respond by email and say you might be interested and ask for a phone number you can call. If he wants your phone number for contact, but won't give you his

Again, it might sound weird, but that is actually a perfectly normal way of managing an exchange without either party having to publicly post their telephone number (which could then be traced back to a residence by less trustworthy observers).
Cheers

That is true. And not weird. But with reverse lookups mostly on a pay basis (I could be wrong) and cell phones more prevalent, I'd still add this to my 'fishy" score. I have also had CL *buyers* email and say/demand "send me your phone number" then never respond when I suggest they send me theirs first. But I'm the one with the goods! (So maybe they would pay 9 bucks to look me up or trek to the library....) The emphasis the gent in this case put on "meet somewhere" does make me wonder. But maybe his house is a mess and he'd be embarassed to have anybody visit!

Actually, when it comes to Craigslist, I tend to be of the "whatever floats your boat" persuasion. If somebody doesn't want to exchange info -- I want a real, working phone number for anybody who thinks they're going to cross my threshold -- that's fine. If a sale falls apart because of anxiety, suspicion, bad vibes, also fine.

I do wonder how much hot merchandise cycles through Craigslist when "we can pick a place to meet".

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#301354 - 11/08/2007 13:36 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: jimhogan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The emphasis the gent in this case put on "meet somewhere" does make me wonder. But maybe his house is a mess and he'd be embarassed to have anybody visit!

If I was going to sell something via craiglist then I'd meet up somewhere with it and do the sale for cash only. Don't really want potential nutcases coming around to mine or me visiting them either. *shrug*

#301355 - 11/08/2007 15:33 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: touchstone]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
That's a tough one. How would a thief know it's an 80 gig player? On the other hand, not providing info about the sled and "oh I have some amps and speakers too" seems like he tore it out of a victim's car.

The easiest thing to do is ask for the serial number, then post it here.

#301356 - 13/08/2007 15:26 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: tman]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
The emphasis the gent in this case put on "meet somewhere" does make me wonder. But maybe his house is a mess and he'd be embarassed to have anybody visit!

If I was going to sell something via craiglist then I'd meet up somewhere with it and do the sale for cash only. Don't really want potential nutcases coming around to mine or me visiting them either. *shrug*

Well, to be fair to the CL poster, he just said "meet up somewhere", not "meet up somewhere that's not my house." He's trying to sell it locally, so yeah, they'll have to "meet up somewhere." For something that's portable, there's no reason to restrict the "somewhere" to either person's domicile, particularly if there's a more mutually convenient location to make the sale.

#301357 - 16/08/2007 01:36 Re: Suspicious Chicago craigslist posting [Re: canuckInOR]
thirdeyevision
journeyman

Loc: Petaluma, CA (Bay Area)
this seems to be the same person that was trying to sell an 80gig empeg on ebay for $1500 and then lowered it to $1000. i remember in his auction he said it came out of a 2002 pontiac grand am.

sounds legit to me.