Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#302786 - 03/10/2007 19:24 Zune 2
drakino
carpal tunnel

http://www.zune.net/

The Zune 2 has been announced, and it looks like they are going to have a better lineup this time to compete with the iPod market. 4 and 8 gb flash players, plus an 80 gig unit in addition to the 30 they had. All versions have the same features, including wireless syncing now, and MPEG4/h.264 video support. The nice thing that Apple needs to take note of is that all the software features are also going to be available to previous Zune owners via a firmware upgrade. The first gen Nano units and 5th gen iPod line never did get the search feature added to the later units, something that would have likely been easy to do from a tech standpoint.

MS is also adding DRM free songs to the Zune marketplace, but no info on if these will still be WMA, or moving to MP3 or M4A. I'm assuming WMA, and the horrible MS points system, so Amazon is still the online service I am eyeing.

#302787 - 03/10/2007 20:06 Re: Zune 2 [Re: drakino]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:
The company is going to launch with one million DRM-free MP3 tracks. But these aren't just MP3 songs, they're "pure MP3s," devoid of any watermarking or tracking technology. Reindorp tells me that the company "absolutely refused" to go in that direction, or settle on non-standard audio technology. So the Zune's DRM-free tracks will be pure MP3. Halleluiah.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/zune2_preview.asp

Overall, the new Zunes get a yawn from me but they look nice in the pictures and are filling in some gaps missing from Apple's offerings. WiFi syncing is a welcome feature and I like that MS seems to be focusing on providing information and community features to help people find new music. I've always felt Apple has missed on a big opportunity to sell me more music. They potentially have access to my iTunes database with all of this information about my music tastes and listening habits but don't take advantage of it. The iTunes store is butt simple if you know what you want but terrible at helping you find new music. Now it remains to be seen if MS actually does a good job with this.

#302788 - 03/10/2007 20:56 Re: Zune 2 [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Quote:
The nice thing that Apple needs to take note of is that all the software features are also going to be available to previous Zune owners via a firmware upgrade.

I'd argue that what Apple needs to take note of is that they need to update their horrible UI on the classic iPods. The first gen Zune UI was laughable, but the new touches make a huge difference. The pad also looks a lot more usable than Apple's click-wheel. It looks like the Zune has the equivalent of 7 buttons plus vertical and horizontal touch input (2 dimensions). The iPod has 5 and only 1 dimension of touch input (clockwise and counter-clockwise).

I'm sure the Zune doesn't get everything right, but the videos I've seen make it look quite decent. WiFi syncing should also be a decent new addition. WiFi is rather pointless for anything else except possible web access to or from the unit (an http daemon would be great on it) or some other mechanism to allow control of the Zune from other devices on your network.

The screen is also very nice, but what's with the measly 80GB on the top end?

Apple has been showing a serious lack of progress on the UI front in the entire product range over the past two years. It gets tiring putting up with "just barely good enough." Same goes for their new touch-based devices, including the iPhone (I had at least 10 gripes after using one for only 10 minutes).

#302789 - 04/10/2007 04:07 Re: Zune 2 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
The screen is also very nice, but what's with the measly 80GB on the top end?

My only guess is that they wanted to keep a 30GB model for the price point, and instead of having two thicknesses for their 1.8" devices, they went with the largest single-platter 1.8" drive size.

#302790 - 04/10/2007 11:12 Re: Zune 2 [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
According to engadget the new 80 is smaller than the current 30.

I think the zune2 sounds pretty good compared to what other players are out there now. I will wait to try it before buying but I know I like the first zune interface better than the ipod. I just wish they wouldn't make you use their software for syncing. Give me MSC dammit.

Matt

#302791 - 04/10/2007 19:04 Re: Zune 2 [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Actually, I was mistaken in thinking that they had released two 1.8" drive units. I read another report wrong...

Still, I think I'm half right. I think they wanted to attempt to compete with Apple as best they could on the size aspect, and that's as big as you can get with one platter (I believe...).

#302792 - 04/10/2007 21:27 Re: Zune 2 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
But the Zune 2 is already thicker than the 80GB iPod. They could have made a thicker unit close to the size of the 160GB iPod. I think the reason they didn't go to the top has more to do with market penetration - or lack thereof. The flash units will sell in the greatest volume followed by the 80GB based primarily on price point. It's the same story with Apple. Their top of the line model has n ever been their best seller.

I hope this refresh does the platform some good as Apple need some serious competition in this area. Up until the Zune they had absolutely none. No other top-tier producer had a product with a form factor even remotely similar. Sandisk as second of third-tier company has had fantastic success with its flash players and I have no doubts the form factor had a lot to do with it. Creative (also a tier 2 or 3) has always had a mixed bag of models and far too many of them. Their stuff tends to be ultra-crap with abysmal software as well.

Microsoft's investment in the software and music distribution sides are also fairly important. Getting the Zune supported by iTunes would likely give them an incredible push though. Not something Apple would ever likely help them do. It would take quite a bit of time to build a cross-platform music program to *really* rival iTunes. Nothing out there really comes close right now.

I wonder when we'll start seeing these players support greater than NTSC resolution video. I'm also curious as to whether MS has added support for their HDPhoto file format into their new software.

Anyone know if it is/was possible to download images from a digicam onto the current Zunes? AFAIK Apple have never released an updated adapter for their iPods that doesn't suck (slow transfer - don't even know if the old attachment is compatible with the newest models).

Edited by hybrid8 (04/10/2007 21:34)

#302793 - 05/10/2007 10:44 Re: Zune 2 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
But the Zune 2 is already thicker than the 80GB iPod.

I understand that, but that's not what I was saying. I was saying the 80GB Zune 2 is thinner than a >80GB Zune 2 would have been. They want to get as close to the iPod size as they can.

But yes, I agree with your other reasons as well.

#302794 - 05/10/2007 11:23 Re: Zune 2 [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Did anyone else see the secret woot for the zune.
http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune

It's pretty tempting but I want bigger than 30 gig.

Matt

#302795 - 05/10/2007 12:32 Re: Zune 2 [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Did anyone else see the secret woot for the zune.
http://www.woot.com/special.aspx?k=vipzune

It's pretty tempting but I want bigger than 30 gig.

I just love the writing on Woot.

I wasn't aware of those secret Woots. That's pretty cool. I don't suppose they have those for all their products, do they? I missed one a while back that I would have jumped on...