Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#303710 - 02/11/2007 13:10 Wireless Computer - TV Connection?
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I didn't want to derail the HDTV Advice thread, so I am starting a new one

One of my friends at work is looking at buying his first HDTV, so I've been passing on the information provided in that thread. He does have one question that hasn't come up yet... Is there a TV that will display the screen from his laptop wirelessly? I found the SW-4261 but haven't heard anything about it. Is that good enough quality for doing light graphical (not hardcore, but like pictures for PowerPoint) work or web browsing? Would lag be a problem in something like that?

I'm as lost as usual Thanks for any help.

Almost Edit: Ugh, after finding a couple user reviews, that product doesn't sound promising. Does anybody know of anything similar?

#303711 - 02/11/2007 14:24 Re: Wireless Computer - TV Connection? [Re: Tim]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not really. The best solution would be to find a small PC and put that next to the TV to run VNC/Remote Desktop.

The device you linked is basically one of those cheapo 2.4GHz video senders but with a VGA -> SVideo/Composite adapter built into it. It isn't going to give you an amazing picture as it isn't HD.

#303712 - 02/11/2007 14:28 Re: Wireless Computer - TV Connection? [Re: Tim]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I have (and LOVE) the Belkin AV55000.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/audioaccessories/1072/belkin-pure-av-remotetv-av55000.html

I don't believe they make it any more, but I think you can still find em around. They are pricey, but work exactly as advertised. No HD, only SD.

I use it to send video/audio from my HR20 to a screen in my bedroom, but you can plug anything into it (ie: your friend's laptop).

I previously used a Terk Leapfrog video/audio sender (2.4GHz) with very mixed results (lot's of interference).

The other thing you might want to keep an eye on (it's not out yet) is the http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/sling-medias-new-slingcatcher/ It needs a Slingbox on the transmitting side, so maybe it's a more expensive solution than what you want...

- Jon

#303713 - 03/11/2007 08:23 Re: Wireless Computer - TV Connection? on MythTV [Re: tman]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Hmm - that would actually be a really good plugin for MythTV

MythVNC...

The power of opensource means that any settop box running linux could almost trivially add this feature for the cost of a wifi chipset.

Then any phone withi a wifi chipset could vnc-display it's pictures on the TV.

Of course it's too niche to do commercially - but if the phone and settop box were 'hackable' it would probably spread like wildfire

Sorry, daydream over.... back to your regular (non-wifi) programming.

#303714 - 03/11/2007 12:47 Re: Wireless Computer - TV Connection? on MythTV [Re: LittleBlueThing]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Then any phone with a wifi chipset could vnc-display it's pictures on the TV.

I've no idea how well it works, but Nokia already make wifi phones with UPnP A/V servers in, presumably for exactly this user-story.

Peter