Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#303960 - 09/11/2007 19:41 So who bought an iPhone today?
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I didn't, I'm pretty sure one of my engineers took the day off just to queue for one. Boy is he going to get some stick on Monday!

Andy M

#303961 - 09/11/2007 20:39 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: andym]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
I didn't

Nor me!

Standing firm on my no 3G no iphone policy.

I did have a go on Rob Ricc's last weekend, impressive enough but what's the point in a cutting edge mobile device without cutting edge mobile speed?

I think a more natural partner for iphone in the UK is 3. O2 is simply rubbish for data, I know I have been on them for years for some stupid reason.

Cheers

Cris.

#303962 - 09/11/2007 20:43 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: andym]
tman
carpal tunnel

Not me. An acquaintance has bought one and is really proud of it and can't stop showing it off.

#303963 - 09/11/2007 20:45 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: Cris]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I haven't got as far as an ipod yet!

#303964 - 09/11/2007 21:17 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: andym]
siberia37
old hand

Loc: Tacoma,WA
A coworker of mine has had everyone he knows buy one so he can unlock them and sell them on Ebay. He's made quite a bit of money on the Apple pay-anything-for-style crowd. I'm quite happy with my Windows Mobile phone that I can develop custom applications for without worrying about bricking the phone.

#303965 - 10/11/2007 03:06 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: siberia37]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm quite happy with my Windows Mobile phone that I can develop custom applications for without worrying about bricking the phone.

Developing applications for the iPhone doesn't brick it. Fiddling with firmware for the modem "bricks" it, just like fiddling with the firmware on a Windows Mobile phone would "brick" it or other devices with firmware. And in February, a proper SDK from Apple will be out.

The device was never really bricked in the true sense even with the hacks that touched the modem firmware anyhow. There was a way to back out, and never anything forcing updates.

Quote:
impressive enough but what's the point in a cutting edge mobile device without cutting edge mobile speed?

I suppose over there it's probably a bigger deal. Here in the US, we are still kinda amazed little IP bits actually can fly over the air to our cell phones for the most part, only some people in some of those really large cities have the newer 3G IP bits.

Overall though, the speed of EDGE hasn't been a big deal for me. It's more then enough to load up a page to read while idle somewhere, and for serious browsing, I find I'm somewhere that has WiFi. Could just be the tech centric Austin though, seems nearly every business here has a public access point.

#303966 - 10/11/2007 03:52 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
impressive enough but what's the point in a cutting edge mobile device without cutting edge mobile speed?

I suppose over there it's probably a bigger deal.

I disagree. One of the top criticisms was lack of 3G, and it's the number one issue for me as well. If it had 3G I think I might have one by now, despite my dislike of its pitiful storage space (compared to my other option: a small phone and a 160GB Archos).

Oh, and the SDK? What a back-pedal.

Pardon me, though, I've been out of the loop a bit of late. What's the iPhone news today that would make a lot of people buy one?

#303967 - 10/11/2007 04:39 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Oh, and the SDK? What a back-pedal.

At least they were willing to do it, no matter if it was a back-pedal, or just a result of wanting to rush the device out the door and not hold it up waiting on a developer platform. But I guess people will find fault no matter what others do.

Quote:
Pardon me, though, I've been out of the loop a bit of late. What's the iPhone news today that would make a lot of people buy one?

It launched in the UK and Germany.

#303968 - 10/11/2007 06:39 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
And it is launched in France later this month, where selling mobile phones that are locked to a network is illegal. So no doubt they'll be charging more than elsewhere.

#303969 - 11/11/2007 00:39 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
If the iPhone had shipped with 3G you'd have about one hour of battery life. And there would be far more complains. I don't have any problem believing greater than 90% of iPhone buyers don't have a clue what 3G is nor why they'd want it. There's a lot to complain about with the iPhone. Lack of 3G on the first revision isn't one of those things in my opinion.

The SDK was planned all along. I can't say if February was always the intention, but plans have always existed to bring it out at some point.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what they come out with as an update. I'm without a cell phone now and don't have any plans to get back on the grid until next year anyway. Hopefully the class-action suit against all Canadian carriers will have settled out by then as well (they're all ripping off customers with a $7-9 charge per month, on top of the advertised plan price, that they have falsified as a government surcharge or licensing fee for the past 10 to 15 years).

I'm also hoping Apple get in bed with the FON guys and that concept really takes off. I don't think I will ever use the carrier's data plans.

North America is probably 5 to 10 years behind Europe when it comes to technology adoption in many sectors, not just telecom.

#303970 - 11/11/2007 00:57 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: hybrid8]
tman
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If the iPhone had shipped with 3G you'd have about one hour of battery life.

3G is pretty widespread now on EU phones and the battery life on those isn't as bad as you make out. My N95 has WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G on and the battery life is fine.

#303971 - 11/11/2007 05:45 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: tman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
If the iPhone had shipped with 3G you'd have about one hour of battery life.

3G is pretty widespread now on EU phones and the battery life on those isn't as bad as you make out. My N95 has WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G on and the battery life is fine.

There also a few Windows based phones where the 3G version has pretty much the same battery life as the 2.5G one.

In fact the HTC 730 actually has a longer standby time when using 3G as compared to 2.5G (though it does have a shorter talk time).

Standby time:

Up to 290 hours for GSM
Up to 388 hours for UMTS

Talk time:

Up to 318 minutes for GSM
Up to 210 minutes for UMTS

The 2.5G version of the same phone, the HTC 710, has a standby time of only 175 hours, so it looks like while adding 3G they also managed to increase the efficiency of the 2.5G radio.

#303972 - 11/11/2007 05:47 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If the iPhone had shipped with 3G you'd have about one hour of battery life. And there would be far more complains. I don't have any problem believing greater than 90% of iPhone buyers don't have a clue what 3G is nor why they'd want it.

Maybe not, but once people see 3G in action they really want it. It make so much difference to web browsing on a mobile (assuming the processor isn't the bottle neck, like it was on phones 18 months ago).

#303973 - 12/11/2007 01:33 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: andy]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Bear in mind that "up to" figures are very misleading, especially for talktime. You really want to know what the *worst-case* talktimes are for 2G and 3G. If you look around you'll see that many 3G phones sport little more than 90 minutes worst-case talktime, but still manage several hours of worst-case 2G.

Of course, it's very much network dependent as to what talktime you get. Here in the US, there are waaaay fewer cells than in europe, so phones tend to use higher output power more often. Still, my old 6680 used to really burn through battery when it sat on 3G cells compared to forcing it to 2G. Dave English couldn't video call me then though, but that only ever happened twice

Hugo

#303974 - 12/11/2007 03:26 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I used my Treo with EV-DO constantly. It had Good software installed which meant it was almost always going out to check for new mail. I had a weather application updated every half hour. I checked my GMail on it, which meant a lot of time spent on the browser. I was always going to Wikipedia on it to answer questions that came up in every day conversation. I even talked on it from time to time

I charged it every night, and never once had it die on me while I was using it.

#303975 - 12/11/2007 06:49 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: altman]
andy
carpal tunnel

I guess that even the term "talk time" is starting to become misleading. Presumably phones nowadays use a similar amount of power when transferring data as they do when you are on a call. So what does talk time actually mean now.

#303976 - 13/11/2007 13:27 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: andy]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
what is the battery life for just surfing the Internet? Does the auto backlight help for battery life?

#303977 - 14/11/2007 04:31 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: andy]
altman
carpal tunnel

Yes, data is often similar to talk - except when the data flow stops, so does most (sometimes nearly all) of the power consumption. Actually, this happens with voice calls if DTX - discontiguous transmission - is enabled by the network - if you're not talking (and the background is quiet) then it won't bother transmitting. A big power-saver when talking to your mother*

Hugo

* Obviously not my mother!

#303978 - 14/11/2007 04:32 Re: So who bought an iPhone today? [Re: burdell1]
altman
carpal tunnel

Backlights tend to be very power hungry, yes. The bigger/brighter the screen, the worse the problem... but when you're browsing the web, the CPU power to render pages isn't negligible either.

Hugo