Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#304398 - 27/11/2007 12:51 Re: brain fart [Re: andym]
Boelle
addict

Loc: Denmark, Odense
Quote:
So you're telling me that no matter how sophisticated an immobiliser is, it can be disabled by a single relay?

no i'm not

Quote:
I just don't see where you're going with this thread.

well just had an idea, sorry if i stepped on somebody's feet

#304399 - 27/11/2007 14:01 Re: brain fart [Re: Boelle]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
sorry if i stepped on somebody's feet

What it is is this: We love our empegs. They're so great that we get frustrated that other people don't see their brilliance. We'd like to see them everywhere. These days, we're resigned to the fact that it's not going to happen.

Then some Johnny-come-lately (no offence) wanders in here and says "I've got a great idea!". One that we've seen at least twice a year for the last 8 years...

We're a bit bored with it, to be honest.

Myself, I'd like to see less mental masturbation and more actual action. But I'm not holding my breath.

#304400 - 27/11/2007 14:14 Re: brain fart [Re: Roger]
Boelle
addict

Loc: Denmark, Odense
well, i will take my fart gasses somewhere else then

#304401 - 28/11/2007 19:02 Re: brain fart [Re: Boelle]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
REmote engine start - 2-3 relays that are coupled on the backside og the engnition key...

Ummm... no.

Keep in mind I live in Alaska, where almost certainly a higher percentage of cars are remote-start equipped than anywhere else.

Let's see now...

1) Anti-grind circuitry. You have to have a way of disengaging the starter when the engine starts.

2) Retry circuitry. If it doesn't catch the first time, do you re-try, and if so, how many times? Or does it just sit there with the ignition on, "thinking" it is running while your battery drains?

3) Security. "Oh, look -- some guy left his car running. Let's take it." You have to have an automatic shutoff if someone touches the brake pedal or gas pedal or shift lever.

4) Over-rev circuitry. You have to sense the engine RPMs and shut it down if it is running too fast.

5) Neutral sense circuitry. You don't want the car to start up and go through your (closed) garage door and end up on your neighbor's lawn.

6) Timer circuitry. You don't want the car to sit there running until it runs out of gas or overheats if you unknowingly or accidentally start it.

7) Trasmitter circuitry. You have to have a transmitter to signal the car that it is time to start.

8) Receiver circuitry. You have to have a receiver in the car to actually trigger the "...2-3 relays that are coupled on the backside og the engnition key... " along with all the other required circuitry.

There's more, but that covers the high points. In other words, a remote start is not a simple upgrade. You'll spend anywhere from $300-$600 to have a specialty shop install one in your car here in Alaska, and they do it in volume here.

tanstaafl.

#304402 - 29/11/2007 15:56 Re: brain fart [Re: andym]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:
For me the thought of having to maintain two mp3 players each with its own management software is a PITA.

Boelle,
I agree with this 100%. If there were ever to be another empeg, it would have to cater to the now "developed" digital music listening community and be compatible with current personal "mp3" players. The storage of the music would be on the player and not on the empeg. The empeg would just be interface for the music collection and some sort of "universal cradle" would be necessary for all of the different iPods, Zunes, or whatever people are using.

Sounds like a very daunting task - but please, make one. I'm sure that we would love to see it. When I came on this list back around 2002, I think I even started the same type of thread. Not that we want to stiffle your fresh desire to revive the empeg's hay day, We are just frustrated that it hasn't actually been done yet and as Roger points out, we love our empegs (as do you) and hate to see such a limited future with them.
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#304403 - 29/11/2007 18:13 Re: brain fart [Re: bbowman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I can only see two things possibly gaining traction in the retail market.

1. Apple releases their own head unit that interfaces with an ipod (the ipod would plug into it like a cassette in an old deck and the headunit would provide the display)
2. A universal product is made in the form of a wide screen display and input unit. This would be attached to the car in addition to the existing head unit and would interface with an ipod and/or other popular players. It provides it own "Really Great" UI and could be implemented to do it own decoding (thereby the connected unit it nothing but storage) or it uses passthrough and the connected unit does all the decoding.

If anyone but Apple releases a head unit, it won't really make it big at retail. The small volumes may be enough for someone like Clarion, Alpine, etc.. to support. At thi time however, I don't even know of any stand-alone head unit with a display that doesn't look/feel/act like it's 15 or 20 years old.

#2 wouldn't be that different from the state of affairs with add-on GPS units. Currently I have yet to see a decent display and user interface for connecting an ipod or other portable DAP in-car.

The non-retail opportunities are obvious - create a better UI for the stuff that comes in the car already. Maybe one day someone will do it like #1

#306992 - 07/02/2008 15:01 Modu [Re: hybrid8]
music
addict

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
1. Apple releases their own head unit that interfaces with an ipod (the ipod would plug into it like a cassette in an old deck and the headunit would provide the display)

Looks like a company called Modu is trying to do this with a cellphone.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/02/0207_modular_cellphones/source/5.htm

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2008/tc2008025_771426.htm

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2