Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#306288 - 18/01/2008 10:12 Problem booting from CD-ROM
StigOE
addict

Hi, All.

I'm planning to install Linux (Ubuntu) in a dual-boot configuration on my living room PC, but I have some problems being able to boot from the CD-ROM (well, actually DVD-writer). The mainboard is an ASUS P4B533 (with the latest BIOS) and the disk is connected to a Sunsway/ST Lab PCI SATA 2P, SiL3512 SATA-controller and the DVD-writer is connected to the integrated IDE-controller.

If I don't have a CD in the drive, it boots up properly. If I put in a CD, I only get a blank screen with 'Press a key to reboot'. I also tried to connect an IDE-disk to it and if the CD is in the drive, I get the same 'Press a key to reboot'. If I take out the CD, I get 'ntldr is missing' (it's set to boot from CD-ROM, then the SATA-controller, then IDE). If I disconnect the SATA-disk, I can boot from CD...

Anyone that have any ideas as to how I can get Linux installed on the SATA-disk? I also have to upgrade (or more likely, reinstall Windows) the Windows-installation on the SATA-disk. I guess one way is to install Windows on an IDE-disk and then Ghost it over to the SATA-disk, but then how to install Linux?

Thanks,
Stig

#306294 - 18/01/2008 12:55 Re: Problem booting from CD-ROM [Re: StigOE]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
It sounds like the CD you are trying is not bootable.

The Ubuntu installers are .iso images, which means they need to be written as such to a CD. *Not* just copied as a "file" to the CD.

Most CD burning s/w has a menu option for "burn iso image" or such.

You can verify correct operation of your computer/BIOS by booting from some other bootable CD that you may have on hand (eg. a Window's CD).

???

#306300 - 18/01/2008 14:50 Re: Problem booting from CD-ROM [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
It sounds like the CD you are trying is not bootable.

I don't think so, because he says...

Quote:
If I disconnect the SATA-disk, I can boot from CD...

I ran into a problem here on one of the PCs at work which went along these lines:

- DVD drive was a SATA drive.
- BIOS has a setting for "SATA ROM: Enable/Disable"
- If SATA ROM: Enable, the hard disk is fast.
- If SATA ROM: Enable, DVD drive will not be bootable.
- If SATA ROM: Disable, the hard disk is very slow. I mean painfully, tear-your-hair-out slow.
- If SATA ROM: Disable, the DVD drive is bootable.

My only solution was to disable the SATA ROM for the amount of time it took to get the OS installed. After I got the OS installed, I changed the ROM to Enabled to speed up the hard disk.

Really poor design on the part of the motherboard mfr if you ask me...

Anyway, you say that your DVD drive is normal integrated IDE so that might not have any bearing on what you're doing.

#306303 - 18/01/2008 15:28 Re: Problem booting from CD-ROM [Re: tfabris]
StigOE
addict

Quote:
My only solution was to disable the SATA ROM for the amount of time it took to get the OS installed. After I got the OS installed, I changed the ROM to Enabled to speed up the hard disk.

Really poor design on the part of the motherboard mfr if you ask me...

Anyway, you say that your DVD drive is normal integrated IDE so that might not have any bearing on what you're doing.

Yes, the DVD-drive is IDE, but the SATA-controller is on an add-on card.

I think I figured out a solution... I bought a IDE-disk and I'll install Windows and Ubuntu on this (with the SATA-drive disconnected) and connect the SATA-disk when everything is working. I'll end up with two drives in the machine, but hopefully it still won't be too noisy... Or I'll just remove the SATA-drive.

And to answer Mark: Yes, the Ubuntu-disc is bootable.

Stig