Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#306321 - 18/01/2008 23:51 AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing...
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It's a kid problem. Said kid has no restraint where the use of the printer is concerned.

I wanted to restrict her account to prohibit the use of all printers, yet it seems that MS doesn't make this possible.

This happens to be on a Vista Home Premium machine.

#306323 - 19/01/2008 00:01 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Under Windows XP Pro, I have a "Security" tab on the printer Properties page. It might not be available under Home versions. If it is, I bet you might have to change how users log in. I have very little Vista experience, but a lot of things go away in XP if you enable the Welcome screen.

#306326 - 19/01/2008 00:22 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: wfaulk]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

The Security tab. Would it be there only for local printers?

#306328 - 19/01/2008 00:54 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: gbeer]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Nope. It's there on remote printers. It's actually not there for the locally connected printer I have. Weird.

#306329 - 19/01/2008 01:51 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: wfaulk]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
Could you set up a machine profile for that account that has all the printer drivers removed?

pca

#306330 - 19/01/2008 02:02 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There's always low tech... lock up the printer cable (or its ink cartridges or its toner cartridge).

If it's a printer that has network capability, you could change it so that it's a network printer and then password protect it from the printer's control panel.

As others have said, on the business version of Vista, there are very clear security settings in the printer control panel. That's kind of ironic, since I can see your situation needing the security more frequently than a business needs it. Most businesses don't want security on their printers, so that visiting dignitaries don't have problems when they visit.

#306339 - 19/01/2008 07:14 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: gbeer]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Does your kid have admin access? If not you can disable the print spooler, this should prevent windows from printing.

#306340 - 19/01/2008 07:25 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: tfabris]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
this might be off the wall, but I seem to remember some kind of check box under the properties of any given device in the device manager. perhaps you could disable the printer or it's port under a specific user's account?

or you could be sneaky and add an A / B switch (:

#306352 - 19/01/2008 18:09 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: lastdan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: lastdan
this might be off the wall, but I seem to remember some kind of check box under the properties of any given device in the device manager. perhaps you could disable the printer or it's port under a specific user's account?

Items and settings in the device manager are system-global and not tied to a user account, unfortunately.

I like the suggestion of disabling the print spooler service. That's also system-global, but only an administrator could turn it back on again. Would be a bit of a pain for every time the adults wanted to print something though.

#306358 - 19/01/2008 19:09 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: gbeer]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
You could also use Local/Group Policy to restrict the child's printing, IF they have their own login account that's not administrator. You can "restrict times/days user is allowed to print" to simply no days and no times.

Disabling spooler for just that user (via startup script? check the 'sc' command line for stopping services) is probably the easiest way.

Or, make them use their allowance to buy their own printer, ink and paper. They can save up for a $50 printer, but they couldn't afford to pay $20/cart for ink!

#306361 - 19/01/2008 19:42 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: gbeer]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Originally Posted By: gbeer
It's a kid problem. Said kid has no restraint where the use of the printer is concerned.

Not wishing to derail a perfectly good technical discussion, but how old is this kid? What's wrong with "your sorry ass is grounded if you print things without asking mum or dad first"?

Peter

#306362 - 19/01/2008 20:06 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: peter]
tman
carpal tunnel

Whats wrong with taking the paper out of the printer :P

#306380 - 20/01/2008 07:07 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: FireFox31]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: FireFox31
You could also use Local/Group Policy to restrict the child's printing

Not on Home editions of Windows, you can't...

#306381 - 20/01/2008 07:41 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: Roger]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The moral of this story is, never buy the cheapest version of Windows and if you ever meet a member of Microsoft's marketing department, give them a good hard kick frown

#306383 - 20/01/2008 12:38 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: andy]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
It's simple - get Linux.

Printing is such a bugger that if she figures it out and starts wasting paper you'll be grateful wink

#306386 - 20/01/2008 14:15 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: LittleBlueThing]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
if she figures it out and starts wasting paper you'll be grateful

Next, introduce her to MP3 but remove the audio drivers. All this problem solving will make her a Linux goddess in no time.

#306390 - 20/01/2008 15:05 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
You could also use Local/Group Policy to restrict the child's printing

Not on Home editions of Windows, you can't...

Wait, hang on. You're right about Group Policy, but didn't the home version of Vista come with some kind of parental control feature that allowed you to restrict when the kid was able to do certain things, like they're not allowed to play games when they're supposed to be doing their homework, or they're only allowed to play games for a limited number of hours each day?

Or am I remembering that wrong? Or is that feature in SP1 (which is only at the RC stage at the moment)?

Anyway, I wonder if there's an extension to that feature that includes printer control.

#306391 - 20/01/2008 15:09 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The feature is described here, it says you can restrict certain programs, I don't know if printing is one of those things.

#306392 - 20/01/2008 17:47 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris
I don't know if printing is one of those things.

I checked the parental controls on my copy of Vista Ultimate RTM, and printing doesn't appear to be one of those things. I don't know whether SP1 will include that, but I doubt it. This page certainly doesn't say anything about it.

#306393 - 20/01/2008 18:34 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: Roger]
drakino
carpal tunnel

A quick check seems to show a similar issue in OS X. I can set an account to not have the ability to administer printers, but there is no way to prevent that account from printing to an already set up printer via the GUI.

I guess the people making parental controls were only really thinking about blocking naughty web sites and such and not normal local operations.

#306394 - 20/01/2008 18:48 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Originally Posted By: drakino

I guess the people making parental controls were only really thinking about blocking naughty web sites and such and not normal local operations.

The annoying thing is that the functionality needed is all there in Windows, it is just that the Microsoft marketing department decided it should be removed from the home versions frown

#306409 - 21/01/2008 19:03 Re: AFIK Windows doesn't have a way to prohibit a user from printing.. [Re: FireFox31]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

You could also use Local/Group Policy to restrict the child's printing, IF they have their own login account that's not administrator. You can "restrict times/days user is allowed to print" to simply no days and no times.

Disabling spooler for just that user (via startup script? check the 'sc' command line for stopping services) is probably the easiest way.

Or, make them use their allowance to buy their own printer, ink and paper. They can save up for a $50 printer, but they couldn't afford to pay $20/cart for ink!

The kid does have her own login and it it a limited account.

This local/group policy thing sounds promising.