Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#306534 - 25/01/2008 11:50 Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ?
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
For reasons too boring to go into now, my IMAP server works best when you connect without using SSL (I actually have two IMAP servers, one that listens on port 143 and the other on 993).

So ideally I want the WM6 IMAP client to connect to port 143 and use plaintext username/password.

I have this working on one of the accounts I have setup on my phone. Problem is I have no idea how I made it work.

When I setup a new account the same way (by putting "servername:143" in the server box) the new account doesn't behave the same way. Even though it has "servername:143" in the server box it still connects to the server on port 993 and uses SSL.

Does anyone know how you force WM6 to connect to port 143 ?

It clearly can be done, as I seem to have managed to do it before, just not sure how I did it.

#306535 - 25/01/2008 12:50 Re: Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ? [Re: andy]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: andy
For reasons too boring to go into now, my IMAP server works best when you connect without using SSL (I actually have two IMAP servers, one that listens on port 143 and the other on 993).

So ideally I want the WM6 IMAP client to connect to port 143 and use plaintext username/password.

I have this working on one of the accounts I have setup on my phone. Problem is I have no idea how I made it work.

When I setup a new account the same way (by putting "servername:143" in the server box) the new account doesn't behave the same way. Even though it has "servername:143" in the server box it still connects to the server on port 993 and uses SSL.

Does anyone know how you force WM6 to connect to port 143 ?

It clearly can be done, as I seem to have managed to do it before, just not sure how I did it.

Is Require SSL under Advanced setting is unchecked?

#306536 - 25/01/2008 13:02 Re: Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ? [Re: BAKup]
andy
carpal tunnel

It certainly is, for both the account that is using ssl and the one that isn't frown

#306543 - 25/01/2008 14:49 Re: Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ? [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
On the *phone* is it unchecked, or on the *server*?

I think it needs to be unchecked in both places.

#306546 - 25/01/2008 15:08 Re: Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ? [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

It is unchecked on both. On the server there are actually two IMAP servers running. The one on port 143 doesn't know how to do ssl at all. The one on port 993 does know how to do ssl.

On the client I have told it to use port 143 on both accounts and on both accounts I have "require ssl" unchecked.

When I collect mail for both accounts the IMAP client goes to port 143 for one of them and port 993 for the other frown

#306550 - 25/01/2008 18:07 Re: Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ? [Re: andy]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Try leaving the port number off the mail server address. I think the ssl checkbox sets the port for you.

#306552 - 25/01/2008 19:35 Re: Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ? [Re: Attack]
andy
carpal tunnel

The port is only there to try and solve this problem. It makes no difference whether it is there or not, the client still connects to port 993 even when 143 is there on the server address.

#306553 - 25/01/2008 19:35 Re: Unsecure IMAP on Windows Mobile ? [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

I appear to have managed to fix the issue, but not by fixing the actual Windows Mobile problem.

The reason I had two different IMAP servers running on one box is that I could never get Dovecot to build with OpenSSL in the past, so I still had to keep UWIMAP around as that was built properly with OpenSSL. I prefer to use Dovecot when I don't need a secure connection as it is so much faster than UW.

So after todays nonsense I decided to try and build Dovecot with OpenSSL again and this time I succeeded. So I can use Dovecot for all my IMAP stuff now.

The did indeed solve the problem, as it doesn't matter which port Windows Mobile connects to now.