Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#319231 - 12/02/2009 23:53 Re: Rube Goldberg strikes again (or how I watch TVO) [Re: mlord]
Folsom

Loc: Atlanta
Originally Posted By: mlord
There's a chap on another forum who's been suggesting PIN diode circuit solutions for this.

Here's the proposed circuit, and his explanation.

That circuit will need some tweaking to get right. The 30uH (which seems high to me, but maybe needed for VHF) look like high impedance to the PIN diodes, so the layout must be done correctly to ensure that the inductor doesn't load down the signal path.

You would be much better getting a single solid state switch and then putting additional SPDT on each signal path to increase the isolation.

The solid state switch is basically the same as this discrete solution but uses FETs instead of PINs. There will be series and shunt FET on each input. The selected path will turn the series FET on while the other paths will be shorted by the shunt FET.

#319232 - 13/02/2009 00:20 Re: Rube Goldberg strikes again (or how I watch TVO) [Re: Folsom]
Folsom

Also, have you checked out Mini-Circuits to find ICs for switching? They are kinda expensive, but they are readily available.

For instance, this part has typically 65dB isolation at 1GHz. You would need at least two of them for a SP4T and then maybe a different SPDT to combine them. $15/piece though.

#319252 - 13/02/2009 11:28 Re: Rube Goldberg strikes again (or how I watch TVO) [Re: Folsom]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Folsom
Also, have you checked out Mini-Circuits to find ICs for switching? They are kinda expensive, but they are readily available.

For instance, this part has typically 65dB isolation at 1GHz. You would need at least two of them for a SP4T and then maybe a different SPDT to combine them. $15/piece though.

Mmm.. those look rather excellent, apart from being the wrong impedance (50 rather than 75 ohms). If I could get them without the cost doubling due to shipping, I would.

Got an easy way to cure the impedance thing? smile

#319300 - 14/02/2009 22:04 Re: Frankenswitch v2. [Re: LittleBlueThing]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
Are you aware that Myth trunk now supports the new (non-free) NVidia video API - VDPAU.

That means that an FE with a £30 fanless graphics card will do H264 HD with no CPU usage to speak of smile

MythTV svn trunk is still a train wreck (too many new features all at once, and a likely multi-year release cycle).

But.. I backported vdpau to 0.21-fixes (the stable stream), and so did several other people! The best backport (which I'm now using) is here.

Seems to work without much fuss on the fanless 8300GS card here, though the GPU on it is too slow to do the best "Advanced" modes at 1080i. But no problem with the "Temporal" de-interlacing modes and it still looks better than the best software method.

When playing back 1080i content, the playback chews up about 10% of a 2.6GHz Core2 CPU. It used to demand 100% with the best software method.

The guy that did this backport even has packages for Mythbuntu, so the average dude(-ess) shouldn't have to fuss about with messy source code and patches.

Cheers!

Edited by mlord (14/02/2009 22:06)

#319301 - 14/02/2009 22:37 Re: Rube Goldberg strikes again (or how I watch TVO) [Re: mlord]
Folsom

Originally Posted By: mlord

Mmm.. those look rather excellent, apart from being the wrong impedance (50 rather than 75 ohms). If I could get them without the cost doubling due to shipping, I would.

Got an easy way to cure the impedance thing? smile

For a switch, the impedance really doesn't matter. The impedance really only matters when one port is de-selected, and the 75 ohm cable is terminated with 50 ohms. This is still 1.5 VSWR/ 14dB return loss. The extra loss in the series path should be pretty small, probably an extra 0.3dB due to mismatch.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3