Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#311376 - 15/06/2008 20:41 Impressive snakeoil
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
$700 RJ45 patch cable anyone ?

A bargain I think, I mean it even has a nice label to tell you which direction to connect it...

http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/akdl1/akdl1.htm

#311377 - 15/06/2008 21:43 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: andy]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
It must be very difficult to make a cable like that, being as how its only 1.5m long. laugh

#311378 - 15/06/2008 21:57 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: gbeer]
tman
carpal tunnel

Audiophile nutters is all I can say. Could be worse. At least this cable is in the signal path. You can get insanely expensive wooden knobs with ultra secret audiophile grade lacquer that alledgely makes your amp sound better.

There is some stupidly expensive amp which the main feature is that it doesn't contain many components. Its just a single integrated amp chip with a couple datasheet spec components but less = more it seems.

#311379 - 15/06/2008 22:52 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: tman]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
If it's being used as more than just 100Mbit or 1Gbit patch cable there is some merit in a special cable. Still a total rip off though since in no way would it cost that much to make.

For more laughs:
http://www.ilikejam.org/blog/audio/audiophile.html

Audiophiles are true idiots IMO... and idiots and their money soon part. Stupidity tax really. When they start arguing over things they don't know about they just dig deeper holes for themselves.

Things like a special CD format with a "clearer" plastic to sound better is a good one.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#311381 - 16/06/2008 00:48 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: Shonky]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Considering you can get a box of Cat6a (1000ft) rated for 10gbit ethernet, there isn't anything this $500 (seems they are still overcharging for the pound conversion) Cat 5e cable will do for you.

#311382 - 16/06/2008 03:32 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: drakino]
MarkH

I wasn't sure if I should go ahead and purchase, so I checked around for some reviews first:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000I1X6PM/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

(My favourite: "I couldn't believe a cable could make so much difference, so I connected a cable tester to it and saw that it rendered the 0s and 1s perfectly. I'm even getting some 2s and 3s!!!")

Regards

Mark

#311383 - 16/06/2008 05:47 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: Shonky]
andy
carpal tunnel

That's nothing, this guy:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

sells clocks and wristwatches that will improve the audio/picture quality of anything in you house !

#311384 - 16/06/2008 07:12 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: andy]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted By: andy
That's nothing, this guy:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/index.html

sells clocks and wristwatches that will improve the audio/picture quality of anything in you house !

Yeah I went through and read the page for all of the products.

I thought the best one were the "Brilliant Pebbles":
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

You have to wonder when they have such a crap website too....
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#311385 - 16/06/2008 07:20 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: Shonky]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Shonky

You have to wonder when they have such a crap website too....

I expect it adds to the charm, "look he is working so hard on the lovely audiophile gadgets that he doesn't have time to do a decent website".

I am told that he does decent business frown

#311408 - 17/06/2008 00:07 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: andy]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
I don't think I spotted this when I scanned this thread.

http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables

#311410 - 17/06/2008 00:52 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: l0ser
I don't think I spotted this when I scanned this thread.

http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables

Yeah, I love that article. People don't believe me when I tell them that I can get a cable online for $4 that is exactly the same as Best Buy's Monster cables for $150.

#311411 - 17/06/2008 01:10 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
There was a time when Monster sold well-made cables for a slight premium. It's sad what they've turned into.

Oh, and a guy I work with used to work for Cello (one of Mark Levinson's post-Mark-Levinson companies) and he did basically the same test (I want to say he used zip cable) with their resident golden ears.

Edited by wfaulk (17/06/2008 01:19)

#311412 - 17/06/2008 04:44 Re: Impressive snakeoil [Re: wfaulk]
Ross Wellington
enthusiast

Hi,

There has always been snake oil associated with the high-end audio market. One of the hypes even includes high performance speaker cables. Which aside from I-R drops source impedance of the amplifier (damping factor) and complex speaker loads seems like snake oil.

Just for grins some time ago, I characterized a lot of different interconnects for audio systems.

I used my HP-4192A to characterize RLC parameters over frequencies from 5 Hz to 150kHz. I also used my HP8903A combined with my HP3585A Spectrum Analyzer terminated in multiple loads (the analyzer includes 1 Meg, 75 Ohm and 50 Ohm inputs - which allowed me to externally terminate what I wanted on the Spectrum Analyzer). My HP8903A has 600 Ohm output capable of balanced and unbalanced drive. I also used my HP3336B which has a 75 Ohm output which I varied the output drive impedance with series resistors. I matched the before and after insertion loss plots of course. I used a wideband audio power amplifier, the tracking generator in the HP3585A, to drive an EMI current injection probe to couple noise to the cable shield and observed the resulting noise susceptibility on the Spectrum Analyzer. For pulse noise, I used an HP8165A programmable pulse generator input to the Audio Amplifier (within 200 kHz).

I found ALOT of capacitance variance from coaxial cabling due to construction. Most of that was centered around the type of shield that was used and the spacing and dielectric type used for each sample.

Each sample was at least 5 feet long and no longer than 8 feet long. The variance in capacitance was no surprise as these are known quantities for signal integrity impedance calculations (see IPC-2141A or IPC-2251 which I participated on the revision committees). By the way, the overall impedance was measured at 1 MHz and was all over the map too. This was measured using 2 different methods (IEEE-4143, Beldon and HP also have good application notes for cable impedance measurement of Low and High Frequency Cabling, and characterizing individual L and C with applicable formula).

The cables were a mix of commonly available cables and included balanced and un-balanced types and shield types included the spiral wrapped copper, 60% and 85% optical coverage overbraids, foil, and foil/braid combinations. I also tested some Twisted pairs and Twisted Shielded Pairs (like M27500 - MIL-Spec. Uncontrolled Twisted Shielded Pair, and commercial differential cables).

RLC at 1 MHz results were mixed with: I don't think anyone has heard 1 MHz from their system before. This is bogus, but the only real effective way to measure the parameters. Although I did have a cassette deck dirty record playback switch a long time ago, that routed the 65 kHz bias oscillator through my pre-amp, power amp and cooked one of my AR tweeters once. All I saw was was a pinned power meter and saw a puff of smoke come from my speaker grill. Easy to replace though, although the cassette deck received shall we say a little "rough handling"...

Capacitance of Coaxial Cables ranging from 20 pF/ft to 180 pF/ft.
Capacitance of Twisted Pair cabling from 13 pF/ft to 25 pF/ft.

Bottom line was from 20 Hz to 20 kHz there was very little affect.

1) The impedance mattered some depending on drive and destination impedances.
a) High Impedance driving High impedance (10k Ohm typical) mattered very little at audio frequencies except with very small signalling.
b) High Impedance driving Higher impedance (47k Ohm typical) rolled off the highs to some degree at very small signalling.
c) Low impedance drive (< 150 to 600 Ohms) and high impedance destination didn't matter with audio frequencies. Of course you wouldn't want to do this with digital signalling unless you like ringing due to higher edge rates. It's best to match the impedances of the source, cable, and destination.
d) Low impedance drive (< 150 to 600 Ohms) and low impedance destination was ideal and I-R drops mattered over very long runs. Differential was always better.

2) The Capacitance mattered very little at Audio Frequencies except at matching Phono impedances due to low drive from small signal sources and higher input impedances (like 47k Ohms). The reason it didn't matter was that many pre-amps have a low drive impedance capable of driving some capacitance and the inputs are usually high (10k Ohms).

3) The inductance didn't matter that much because it provided some capacitance isolation from the driver.

4) Resistance mattered when the source and load impedances were low, and then it was only I-R drop , not impedance.

5) Shield construction mattered as far as noise susceptibility.

a)The foil was the worst at audio sweep and impulse noise susceptibility.
b) The spiral foil was better
c) The 60% and 85% and foil/braid overbraid was still better
d) The Twisted Pair cable was the best (provided the shield was terminated properly)

Foil does not really help at low frequencies (below 100kHz).

With higher frequencies the above became and adverse part of the transmission path and degradation occurred.

These were measurement only tests and not subjective listening tests. That came later after I built my own cables.

What did I do? I built short custom cables out of measured low capacitance coax and differential TSP cabling for all of the cabling in my system. I characterized and optimized them per the above method, then closed the magazine article to hide all of the non-sense.

Ross