Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#313670 - 06/09/2008 00:40 Glow remote
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I just got a glow remote for my Tivo today because the new TV in the bedroom wouldn't work with the old series 2 remote. I just had to post to say it is much nicer than the series 2 one. I have always been happy with the Tivo remotes and this one greatly improves upon those. The buttons are just so much nicer. They are nice and clicky it almost feels like real switches. I will probably end up having to buy another one for the living room now.

The Tivo HD does not come with the glow right ?

Matt

#313673 - 06/09/2008 01:47 Re: Glow remote [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
AFAIK, the regular TiVo HD does not, but the newly announced HD XL does.

IMO, the best remote keypads are still created using the conductive membrane instead of individual switches. The Harmony line of remotes, including the 880 use those switches and they feel terrible coupled with hard plastic buttons. Perhaps when coupled with silicone buttons they're better. I'm also finding that my volume+ switch is nearly dead. I don't think fixing it will be as simple as the cleaning required to fix the conductive membrane type.

#313679 - 06/09/2008 11:04 Re: Glow remote [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

The old tivo remotes were the kind with conductive pads on the back of rubber buttons. This new one might be as well but with just harder buttons. I'm not sure but it is way more responsive.

Matt

#313796 - 09/09/2008 06:09 Re: Glow remote [Re: msaeger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: msaeger
The old tivo remotes were the kind with conductive pads on the back of rubber buttons. This new one might be as well but with just harder buttons. I'm not sure but it is way more responsive.

I agree, I'm a big fan of it. And Bruno is right, the TivoHD has the standard remote, the HDXL has the glow remote, and the Series 3 had the glow remote as well (it's the one I have).

I have a fully coded-out Pronto remote that I absolutely love for controlling everything in my home theater...except the Tivo. My living room has two remotes in it, my Pronto and my Tivo remote.

#313808 - 09/09/2008 10:31 Re: Glow remote [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

It also works much better with the IR to RF converter I got from weaknees. I suspect it's because it has four AAA batteries vs two AA so the lower voltage from the rechargeable has less of an impact.

Matt