Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#312181 - 14/07/2008 17:53 Re: Dreamhost [Re: tonyc]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Just a quick update. I ended up choosing Linode as my virtual private hosting provider, and am very pleased with the service so far. I've migrated all of my sites from Dreamhost to Linode and they are all running much faster. Linode's custom control panel is fantastic, and having full root control of the box is a nice luxury to have. I can do *anything* I want with the box. They give you a choice of 4 different data center locations (I chose New Jersey) and will even let you set their DNS servers up to do slave DNS for your domains.

The storage and RAM that comes with the cheapest plan is rather pedestrian (12GB storage, 360MB RAM) but are enough for what I'm doing, and I can always add extra if I need it. As I mentioned before, I no longer need massive amounts of storage on my hosting provider now that I'm using Amazon S3 for my backups (the cost for S3 so far has been about $1.50/mo.)

Dreamhost was only $11/mo, and I'm paying $22 now for my Linode and S3 accounts, but I think the extra cash is worth it. I now have a server I can do anything with, doesn't get bogged down due to overselling, and a backup solution that won't get taken away from me due to vague terms of service.

All in all I'm pleased with the new setup. Anyone else who's considering the VPS route will be well served by giving Linode a look.

#314045 - 14/09/2008 01:59 Re: Dreamhost [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I just had to share this. I haven't been a Dreamhost customer for a while now, but I still get those horrible newsletters. Funny, when I was a customer I thought they were such an annoyance, and now I just find the hilariously awful. Anyway, I thought the following was germane to this thread:

Quote:
1. New... 50GB Free Personal Backups!

I've noticed my newsletters seem to have less and less themes recently.

Well, except for last month, I guess that had the Olympic theme. I guess
by recently, I mean really recently; like really, REALLY recently. Like,
just this newsletter.

In keeping with my no-theme theme, uh oh, I think I just made a destroy-
the-universe-LHC-style self-contradiction, here's a new feature that
pretty much has nothing to do with anything I said in the introduction!

https://panel.dreamhost.com/?tree=users.backup

Now, you know how we give out a LOT of disk space with our hosting? Well
technically that space is only supposed to be used for your _actual_ web
site (and email / database stuff) .. not as an online backup for your
music, pictures, videos, other servers, etc!

Well, just like every other web host does, we've been sort of cracking
down on that some lately, and it seems to catch some people by surprise!
Nobody likes being surprised, especially in the shower, which is where
we typically brought it up, and so now we offer a solution:

You CAN use 50GB of your disk space for backups now! The only caveat is,
it's a separate ftp (or sftp) user on a separate server and it can't
serve any web pages. There are also NO BACKUPS kept of THESE backups
(they should already BE your backups, not your only copy), and if you go
over 50GB, extra space is only 10 cents a GB a month (a.k.a. cheap)!

What do you people think about this? At first I was a little...I don't know...appalled? But now I'm not so sure it's a bad program.

What about you?

#314046 - 14/09/2008 02:21 Re: Dreamhost [Re: Dignan]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Why do the care what you put up there ?

Matt

#314047 - 14/09/2008 03:40 Re: Dreamhost [Re: msaeger]
tman
carpal tunnel

They offer you a huge amount of space knowing that most users won't ever actually use that much for their website. However if you're using it as backup space for your music, documents, photos, video etc... then you will.

Basically their servers don't have enough capacity to store every user at max usage. Just shoving more disks into the servers isn't all they have to do. They need to make sure their backup system can cope with the extra data. Their compromise for this new 50GB backup service is that its on another server and that server isn't backed up at all.

Not sure whether I'd trust this to be honest. I know they say its meant to be a backup and not your only copy. I'm just curious as to how reliable this server will be. It could be a ancient server wedged full of drives in RAID0 for all we know...

#314048 - 14/09/2008 03:48 Re: Dreamhost [Re: tman]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
That's not a bad compromise, really. Still, even if this policy had come around when I was a Dreamhost customer, it wouldn't have been enough to keep me. Their other issues (overselling of the web servers themselves, infamously horrible support, and repeated billing SNAFUs) make them worth the $9/yr introductory price, but not nearly worth the $10/month it goes up to after the first year.

That said, their control panel was decent, and they were never hesitant to add things like ssh, subversion, video streaming, and AFP that other discount hosts weren't offering. So, for anyone just getting in the game, it's really not a bad place to start.

#314050 - 14/09/2008 12:55 Re: Dreamhost [Re: tonyc]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: tonyc
That's not a bad compromise, really. Still, even if this policy had come around when I was a Dreamhost customer, it wouldn't have been enough to keep me. Their other issues (overselling of the web servers themselves, infamously horrible support, and repeated billing SNAFUs) make them worth the $9/yr introductory price, but not nearly worth the $10/month it goes up to after the first year.

That said, their control panel was decent, and they were never hesitant to add things like ssh, subversion, video streaming, and AFP that other discount hosts weren't offering. So, for anyone just getting in the game, it's really not a bad place to start.

I think I agree with all of that.

Really, backups are all about risk. If you just backup to another drive in your computer or to an external drive, you risk losing data if the computer gets fried or your house burns down. I'm of the mind that if you're backing up online, there's little chance of both places losing all the data on the same day.

Personally, I use online backup and offsite backup. I take a hard disk to my folks' house every once and a while.

So basically, I don't mind that they won't back this stuff up. I think it's understandable.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2