Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#313987 - 12/09/2008 15:26 iPhone Question
brax

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Ok had a question for those iphone users out there. In short can I purchase/activate an iphone and then put in another SIM card and have all functionality?

Reason I ask is that my wife wants an iphone. Well we are on a family plan and her line can not be upgraded for another year were mine can be upgraded now. Well techincally hers can be upgraded now but it's an extra $200. I was planning on just activating the iphone on my account, taking the iphone home and putting in her SIM card. I know it's a little more difficult to changing out the SIM cards on the iphone but I think I can do it. However the guy in the store said that the iphone is tied to the SIM card that activates it and I would not be able to use another SIM card in it? Is this true? Obviously I am trying to circumventing the extra $200 charge which is what made me leery. If so then this means that you can not sell or buy a used iphone with out paying for your carrier to activate it to your SIM card?

Edited by l0ser (16/09/2008 04:30)
Edit Reason: Qiestion

#313988 - 12/09/2008 15:40 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: brax]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nope.

The iPhone has exclusive deals with specific carriers. In the USA, that is only AT&T. You can't put just any old sim card in there. I'm pretty sure you can't even put just any old AT&T sim card in there, it has to be the one that came with the phone. It's one of the things people bitch about with the iPhone.

When the time came for me to get an iPhone, I simply ported my number from my old T-Mobile account to AT&T and it was all done. Took about 5 minutes. Of course, I had to buy into a 2-year AT&T contract, but I wanted to switch carriers anyway (wasn't happy with Tmobile's coverage).

The older firmware on the old iPhone had been "cracked", allowing people to hack their phones so they could use other sim cards, so a lot of people did that. They did not get the benefit of all the new software upgrades, though, because a software upgrade would erase the hacks. They had to wait for each upgrade to subsequently get hacked, so their software was always months behind. (Although they did get the benefit of a bunch of hack apps that the regular iphone customers didn't get.)

I haven't checked lately to see if the latest software has been properly hacked. But then again, new software is supposed to come out today, so I would guess "not". smile

Keep in mind that there are two levels of cracking for the iPhone: There is the "Jailbreak" which lets third party programs get installed, then there is the "Unlock", the actual sim-unlock crack which lets you use a different SIM. Shortly after the 3G phones came out, they had a jailbreak but not a sim crack. I haven't looked lately to see what they *do* have.

#313989 - 12/09/2008 16:46 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: tfabris]
brax

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Nope.

The iPhone has exclusive deals with specific carriers. In the USA, that is only AT&T. You can't put just any old sim card in there. I'm pretty sure you can't even put just any old AT&T sim card in there, it has to be the one that came with the phone. It's one of the things people bitch about with the iPhone.

When the time came for me to get an iPhone, I simply ported my number from my old T-Mobile account to AT&T and it was all done. Took about 5 minutes. Of course, I had to buy into a 2-year AT&T contract, but I wanted to switch carriers anyway (wasn't happy with Tmobile's coverage).

The older firmware on the old iPhone had been "cracked", allowing people to hack their phones so they could use other sim cards, so a lot of people did that. They did not get the benefit of all the new software upgrades, though, because a software upgrade would erase the hacks. They had to wait for each upgrade to subsequently get hacked, so their software was always months behind. (Although they did get the benefit of a bunch of hack apps that the regular iphone customers didn't get.)

I haven't checked lately to see if the latest software has been properly hacked. But then again, new software is supposed to come out today, so I would guess "not". smile

Keep in mind that there are two levels of cracking for the iPhone: There is the "Jailbreak" which lets third party programs get installed, then there is the "Unlock", the actual sim-unlock crack which lets you use a different SIM. Shortly after the 3G phones came out, they had a jailbreak but not a sim crack. I haven't looked lately to see what they *do* have.

Sorry meant to say that I have AT&T now. I have seen both of those terms Jailbreak and SIM Hack but was not sure what they meant. So thanks for the clarification on those. So it sounds like I could do this on an older iphone but it would need to have the SIM hack already or I would have to get it done?

So what are the people doing when they buy an older used iphone off of ebay or something? Are they having to get the SIM card hack done if it has not already?

#313991 - 12/09/2008 17:06 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: brax]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
There also seems to be a hardware sim hack.

#313992 - 12/09/2008 17:10 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: brax]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The iPhone does not require the SIM it came with. However, if you change the SIM to one that has never been in an iPhone, it deactivates the device and requires reactivation via iTunes. My old unhacked phone worked fine for a friend of mine when he popped in his AT&T SIM, but only after plugging it into iTunes and adding an iPhone data plan to his account.

There isn't a software unlock for the 3G yet, and no estimate on when one will exist.

#313993 - 12/09/2008 17:14 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Oh, to add a bit based on your exact plan. If you buy an iPhone at the $199 price, it's going to place a 2 year contract and upgrade lock on your account. So if you give the phone to your wife, it will get around the $200 additional charge she would have to pay, but it prevents you from upgrading at a cheeper price for the next 2 years.

#313994 - 12/09/2008 17:16 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: brax]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: brax
Sorry meant to say that I have AT&T now.

Then you don't need to worry about sim hacking. You just walk into the store and buy the phone and they hook it up to your existing AT&T account. You don't need to move the sim from one phone to the other, the process of buying the phone will activate the new sim in the phone and will transfer your number to it.

There is something about "Eligibility" for existing AT&T customer. If you are eligible, you get the cheap subsidized price for the phone. If you are not eligible, then you pay more for the phone. Details here.

#314000 - 12/09/2008 19:21 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: drakino]
brax

Originally Posted By: drakino
Oh, to add a bit based on your exact plan. If you buy an iPhone at the $199 price, it's going to place a 2 year contract and upgrade lock on your account. So if you give the phone to your wife, it will get around the $200 additional charge she would have to pay, but it prevents you from upgrading at a cheeper price for the next 2 years.

That is what I was wanting to do, buy the phone and swap the SIM card. But the guy at the store was telling me that I could not do that since I would be changing SIM cards and the iPhone is tied the SIM card it is activated with.

#314001 - 12/09/2008 19:26 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: tfabris]
brax

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: brax
Sorry meant to say that I have AT&T now.

Then you don't need to worry about sim hacking. You just walk into the store and buy the phone and they hook it up to your existing AT&T account. You don't need to move the sim from one phone to the other, the process of buying the phone will activate the new sim in the phone and will transfer your number to it.

There is something about "Eligibility" for existing AT&T customer. If you are eligible, you get the cheap subsidized price for the phone. If you are not eligible, then you pay more for the phone. Details here.

Exactly my line is eligiable to the $199 price and my wife's line will cost $399 b/c we upgraded her line about a year ago.

That's the problem if I buy the iphone and activate then it will be for my number and not my wife's, which is why I was just going to put her sim card in the iphone and then the SIM card that was activated in the iphone in to my Treo650. But the guy in the store was telling me the iphone IME# was tied to the SIM card that it was activated with.

Edited by brax (12/09/2008 19:29)

#314059 - 14/09/2008 15:58 Re: iPhone Qiestion [Re: brax]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I think that possibly you can swap the SIM if you jailbreak the phone - the hackers have not yet unlocked the baseband, but that's just for using non-AT&T sim cards with an AT&T locked phone.

If you swap an activated SIM on a virgin phone for another AT&T SIM, it will want to be connected to iTunes for activation, but I think this bit is addressed by the jailbreak type thing. Various problems might include AT&T working out you have an iPhone on a non-iPhone plan and wanting to charge you the $30/mo data plan though.

Probably a better question to ask on an iPhone bbs!

Hugo
(speaking in a personal capacity)

Edited by altman (14/09/2008 15:58)