Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#314129 - 16/09/2008 11:31 Soundmatters foxL Portable 'Monitors'
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Anyone heard these little speakers? They are supposed to sound very good and play fairly loud for their size.

Stu

#314140 - 16/09/2008 16:44 Re: Soundmatters foxL Portable 'Monitors' [Re: maczrool]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
They are supposed to sound very good and play fairly loud for their size.

From their specifications page:

Freq. Response: 80Hz-20kHz (DIN 4500)

I guess it depends on what you consider to be "very good." The lack of bass and sub-bass response would be a deal-killer for me.

I note that they make no claims about great bass sound, and even provide a subwoofer output connection, so it's likely that they are being honest about their sound quality claims.

tanstaafl.

#314150 - 16/09/2008 23:58 Re: Soundmatters foxL Portable 'Monitors' [Re: tanstaafl.]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Quote:
They are supposed to sound very good and play fairly loud for their size.

From their specifications page:

Freq. Response: 80Hz-20kHz (DIN 4500)

I guess it depends on what you consider to be "very good." The lack of bass and sub-bass response would be a deal-killer for me.

I note that they make no claims about great bass sound, and even provide a subwoofer output connection, so it's likely that they are being honest about their sound quality claims.

tanstaafl.

The specs are actually quite good for a speaker of its size- better than anything else I've seen that is comparable. I think the point the reviewers at Sound and Vision made was that it had such a neutral frequency response that they went so far as to say it was the equal of many $2000 bookshelf models. While real bass response is lacking with these, their performance down to 80 Hz is respectable given their size. Having spec'd some raw drivers for a project of ours, I can tell you that to get even that low with any volume is quite an achievement. I've seen drivers the same size as those employed here bottoming out at 300 Hz and in fact they still, at least on paper beat my Dell computer speakers which are considerably larger (although much cheaper too). I am just wondering if the specs in this case reflect actual perceived audio quality in the opinions of those here.

Thanks,
Stu