Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#314092 - 15/09/2008 15:21 Does Spore get better?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is it me, or does the emperor have no clothes?

Cell stage:
- Very fun, very cute, VERY SHORT. Blew through it in a few minutes. It's a minigame or a casual game.

Creature stage:
- Best part of the game. Carefully iterating your creature's anatomy to give it the desired abilities is great fun.

So far, so good! Looking promising!

Tribal stage:
*sigh*. It's a garden-variety RTS. Not even a particularly good one. I'm repeatedly beset by enemies that I haven't got enough resources to fight off. After about a dozen deaths and restarts, I finally get lucky and fend off the attacks enough to advance to the next stage...

Civilization stage:
... ANOTHER garden-variety RTS. Again, not even a particularly good one. *SIGH*.

Space stage:
What the heck is this? It's an exact copy of Star Control 2. Except, the conversations you have with other civilizations aren't funny this time around. And the interesting multi-ship space combat sequences are gone. And every task is an annoying fetch quest!! Except now, for some reason, the go-back-to-deliver-the-goods portion of the fetch quest has a time deadline, so most of the times I try them, I fail because I didn't rush back quickly enough.

Does the space stage of this game get any better than fetch quests, or should I just go back and play through the creature stage a few times?

#314094 - 15/09/2008 16:44 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Dunno. All I've seen of Spore so far is a splash screen and 2 icons in my dock. Cider fails yet again to impress me.

#314096 - 15/09/2008 16:55 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

That's too bad. frown

I think I know why the space sequence is bugging me so much. I can tell that the missions are more or less randomly generated. So poking around and doing fetch quests seems so pointless to me. At least in Star Control 2, there was a carefully penned plot and dialogue, and you could see the puzzle pieces coming together as you played through it. It gave the game interest.

#314107 - 15/09/2008 19:11 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tfabris]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I was looking forward to this game and really excited about it. Most of the reviews I've seen tell a similar tale as yours. Nice idea, bad execution, bad game. I was going to buy it this weekend, but I decided to hold off.

#314302 - 22/09/2008 16:08 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: TigerJimmy]
Schido
enthusiast

Loc: Probably lost somewhere in Wal...
Looks like zeropunctuation didn't like it either: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/218-Spore
Empeg Mk1 #00177, 2.00 final, hijack 4.76

#314303 - 22/09/2008 16:25 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: Schido]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I laughed my ass off at the Zero Punctuation.

So far, I haven't gone back to the Space segment of the game once I realized it was simply a big, randomly-generated Star Control II. Has anyone else played a significant amount of time in the Space segment?

I did, however, go back and do the Cell/Creature stage a couple of times just to try out different kinds of creature approaches. I'll probably do it a few more times. That's quite fun.

#314304 - 22/09/2008 16:32 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Still haven't played. So far, EA support has:

1. Sent me a blanket list of things to try, like making sure I did have a machine up to spec, kill all background processes except Finder, and LoginWindow (loads of fun to do on OS X), run system update, and so on.

2. Sent me another response to check parental controls, the hosts file, and send back a system profile and traceroute, even though the system profile was attached when I created the issue.

3. Sent me a response today basically saying "This is a tough one, give us a bit".

No response to my question of "Will EA refund my money if this doesn't get fixed, as my return window is rapidly shrinking?"

*continues to wait*

#314306 - 22/09/2008 17:08 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I happen to have a box I can't get it to run on, either. It keeps crashing in DINPUT8. Haven't found a solution for that one. At least it runs on one of my boxes.

#314310 - 22/09/2008 21:03 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

"Your Mac Profile indicates you have two video cards hooked up to your Mac Book. Can you explain how this is possible?"

*sigh*

Guess I should write back and explain that Mac Pro means it is a desktop, and it has these things called PCIe slots that accept video cards.

#314311 - 22/09/2008 21:49 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Sounds like Apple is hiring Tandy employees now...

#314312 - 22/09/2008 21:49 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: drakino]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
"Your Mac Profile indicates you have two video cards hooked up to your Mac Book. Can you explain how this is possible?"

*sigh*

Guess I should write back and explain that Mac Pro means it is a desktop, and it has these things called PCIe slots that accept video cards.

Uh oh. Clueless tech support is bad but finding somebody with half a clue is even worse.

#314314 - 22/09/2008 22:36 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Sounds like Apple is hiring Tandy employees now...

This is EA support. And no doubt about the Tandy employees going there. I'd hope Apple support would see "Mac Pro" on line 3 of the system profile report and understand what it is.

#314318 - 23/09/2008 02:18 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

And finally got a solution, but on my own. Got bored, so I did a clean OS X install to another drive and updated to 10.5.5. Spore worked fine. So, I tried yanking my second video card. Spore worked fine on the normal install. Put the video card back in, installed the 10.5.5 update again using the combo updater (not the delta one), and it works now.

Probably won't have time to get sucked into it till next weekend.

#314323 - 23/09/2008 11:51 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: drakino]
tman
carpal tunnel

EA changing Spore DRM

Originally Posted By: TheRegister
EA tells the Los Angeles Times the customer fallout took the company by surprise.

To make amends, EA said on Friday it will roll out an update for Spore that eliminates several points of contention.

The company will now allow players to install the game an unlimited number of times, so long as its not installed on more than five computers at the same time. EA also plans to release a patch this week to support multiple screen names, allowing families to play separate games on a shared computer.

#314324 - 23/09/2008 12:16 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah. The funny thing is, the DRM and account restrictions were fine for me. I don't suppose they can make the gameplay more fun in the later stages with a patch...

#314325 - 23/09/2008 12:23 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

EA is always surprised by these things oddly enough. I guess they didn't pay any attention when it happened for their other games...

The restriction on number of accounts is pretty weird tho. How would that help piracy?

#314326 - 23/09/2008 12:39 Re: Does Spore get better? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Yeah. The funny thing is, the DRM and account restrictions were fine for me.

I wasn't fine with it, and nearly did cancel my preorder. Only Will Wright's name kept me from doing so. The reason is that prior to the changes, your CD key became deactivated for any future installs after installing it 3 times. Work, home, and laptop would blow that for me day one, meaning I'd have to call EA and fight with them to reinstall the game. At some point, they will have a tool to de-authorize a system, and are bumping the number to 5. A step in the right direction, but I'd really prefer the DRM to be pulled completely like it was for Bioshock. EA is already bad about keeping old servers online, so who knows how many years the Spore DRM system will even be kept online. DRM didn't prevent me from firing up Sim City 3000 recently, and I'd hope the same doesn't happen to me for Spore in 10 years.

And then of course there is EA's ability to force you to buy a new copy just for bringing up SecuROM on their forums...