Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#316796 - 30/11/2008 22:26 Odd reception of tivo S3...
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I have my S3 hooked up to a small set top antenna for HD OTA reception. Thursday morning I snapped it on (ch 3.1) and was surprised to find displayed, what appeared to be an XP desktop with someone typing up a Thanksgiving e-mail. This was partially pixelated with parts of the Ch3.1 broadcast. As I watched the broadcast took over the entire picture.

I'm kind of bummed that I didn't think to hit record before changing channels and clearing the buffer. I might have been able to find out which neighbor is using a badly installed TV modulator.

ps, I hadn't known there were HD RF modulators available.

#316809 - 01/12/2008 14:13 Re: Odd reception of tivo S3... [Re: gbeer]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Heh.. Cool!

I did google about just now, and found this thread:

www.satelliteguys.us

Where they discuss the now defunct Dish 5000 HD modulator.
They also link to a cute trick to use a PC video card as a DVB-T signal generator.

#316819 - 01/12/2008 15:52 Re: Odd reception of tivo S3... [Re: gbeer]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: gbeer
I have my S3 hooked up to a small set top antenna for HD OTA reception. Thursday morning I snapped it on (ch 3.1) and was surprised to find displayed, what appeared to be an XP desktop with someone typing up a Thanksgiving e-mail. This was partially pixelated with parts of the Ch3.1 broadcast. As I watched the broadcast took over the entire picture.

I'm kind of bummed that I didn't think to hit record before changing channels and clearing the buffer. I might have been able to find out which neighbor is using a badly installed TV modulator.

ps, I hadn't known there were HD RF modulators available.

Is it possible it wasn't just some kind of screwup at the TV station?

If you're after decent PC based DVB/ATSC modulators then have a look at Dektek. They even do linux drivers. I'm currently trying to convince my boss to buy me a DVB-T modulator card for testing.

Andy M

#316843 - 02/12/2008 00:38 Re: Odd reception of tivo S3... [Re: andym]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Originally Posted By: andym

Is it possible it wasn't just some kind of screwup at the TV station?

If you're after decent PC based DVB/ATSC modulators then have a look at Dektek. They even do linux drivers. I'm currently trying to convince my boss to buy me a DVB-T modulator card for testing.

I doubt it was a screwup. The transition wasn't the abrupt Oops better switch that back. It was more like what I'd expect to see, where the tuner was having trouble, deciding which signal to lock in on.